SuperMoto Junkie banner

CR500af super hooligan project

91K views 157 replies 65 participants last post by  Qap 
#1 ·
I have my machine to the point where I can finally sit on it and see how it's going to feel. All I can say is I love it.
I had plans to do a quick build up and have it completed within a couple of months. Well....one thing led to another and the more I searched for parts, the more changes I made.

It went from a 500 conversion, to a sumo build, then a hooligan project. I had it registered for the street when I did the title work and it's now in its final transformation.

I started with an 01 CR 125:

Modded the frame:

Carb adapter:

Pipe:

Mount:

Engine mounts:

Sumo:

Hooligan with VFR 800 wheels:

Powdercoating (before baking):

Super hooligan:

Final mockup and deciding on color theme:

I posted over at Thumpertalk and most seemed to like it.
Just thought I'd post it here as well.

Hope I'm not overstepping any boundaries,
Gene.

See less See more
#6 ·
Yep...thanks.
It has been hard work, but I love a challenge. It's taken 6 months to get this far, it'll probably take another 6 months to get it completed.
I'll post updates as I get things done.
There's many more pics in my files, so click on any pic and it'll go to the complete album.
There's good info for those planning their own CR500 conversion.

I had a glimpse of Alohar's devil's bike...I love the all black theme.
I guess mine could pass for ET's machine, eh?

#13 ·
Hey Alohar1, I caught your thread a while back.
An all black machine will look menacing..you have black gear to match? These projects always seem to take too long. I made some quick progress, then some delays....more delays and now I'm back on it.
Any new updates on yours? Who's doing your powder coating?
Just don't give up or cut corners to make quicker progress. Keep chipping away and it'll be sweet.

The SSSA is from a VFR800, the rear wheel is from a 750. The 800 wheel is wider, so it went on my VFR750, the 750 went to the CR. The narrower wheel fit the 500 better. The whole build has been a mix-mash of parts.

You have a close eye...it's an 87 engine, for the 2 piece clutch cover and the WR box.

#15 ·
That's the next challenge.
I have the parts to rebuild the shock but haven't done it yet. I made a mockup linkage and realized 1/2 of the shock bumper was missing. I'll replace the bumper, measure shock travel and refigure the rocker arm.

Just solving one issue at a time.

#22 ·
Thanks everyone.

I didn't extend the pipe at all, I sectioned the welds and repositioned what I cut out. It shortened it by a little more than 1/2 inch.
Might add a little to the bottom end??????

Shock work is now in the plans, so it might be a while before I actually post and new pics.

#25 ·
Dang...that's the crapper of the deal, I'm too far away.
I'm South of San Antonio...away from the city and out in stick country. Nothing but Harleys and cruisers around here.

I don't even have friends that ride. It seems such a waste to create something so unique, and no one to cruise (tear it up) with....I'm building it this way just to do it. Someone did tell me to enter it in the SA bike show....I might think about that. My best friend told me to send pics to some magazines.....I'll think about that as well.
I plan on riding it and enjoying the thing.
Eventually I'll be posting vids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.