Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A HOW TO : 610 Cam Chain Replacement

I had the ball peen hammer sound when putting on the flywheel. Thought for sure I broke something, like a gear tooth, but all was well. Anyways, those kinds of noises really make my heart sink.

I don't think you're gonna see much difference in the chain length or any difference at 7 clicks out. I think it starts around 3 clicks out with a new chain.

Got any pics with the vavles out of the head? That really has me curious. I kind of wish I had done mine while it was apart. I have no motivation to go back in the bike.

-Jon
    Dirtyhucker Photography Website CLICKY HERE!!
    Facebook/dirtyhuckerphoto

Quote Originally Posted by restukey View Post
    Got any pics with the vavles out of the head? That really has me curious.
    Nope, I'm sending the head with valves still in, to the machine shop so I won't be seeing 'em either.

Priceless! Thanks DH, that really helps for when I'm on the phone with my parts guy.

nice job I took me two and a half hours to do mine but i didn't take off as much stuff as you did nor did i have a manual so your timing mark photo was a huge help nice job ducati Dave

any of you guys got a service manual on disc for sale?????? 06 610 sm

Quote Originally Posted by ducatidave View Post
    any of you guys got a service manual on disc for sale?????? 06 610 sm
    It's available for free online, just don't have the link on hand right now. The service manual aint great tho.
    2006 SM610

Got two quick questions for you guys,

Do this affect the older SM 610 S ??
    (http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1096702/

and what is the purpose of the Reed valve (on crankcase) ??

Excellent thread
    Cheers

the reed valve evacuates excess oil from center cases .....IE... dry sump i do not know which years have the reed valve
    Ducati Dave 999 three hondas 1947 james comet huskey 610 shifter karts

So before I go ahead and order this DID Husky chain from motosportz, is there a better chain available?

Great write up.. I gotta ask, why wouldn't you install a manual cam chain tensioner after all this? I've been considering adding a manual tensioner on mine while it's still new to see if it makes a difference in the life of the chain. I think it will and others I've talked to agree. Has anyone even tried this??

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
    ... is there a better chain available?
    a) is there a better chain?
    b) is it available?
    c) if so, where?

"the world wants to know" [Bull Halsey]
    thanks
    Nunquam cum asino ambige.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2006 610sm
    past tense: '00 Super Sherpa;'86;CB700SC; '84 FT500; '82 MB5; '78 SR500; '72 CB500; '67 S90

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Great write up.. I gotta ask, why wouldn't you install a manual cam chain tensioner after all this? I've been considering adding a manual tensioner on mine while it's still new to see if it makes a difference in the life of the chain. I think it will and others I've talked to agree. Has anyone even tried this??
    "...why wouldn't you" ? Or why would you? There's not a thing wrong with the auto adjuster, it's not the reason the chains were prematurely wearing out.
    I'd say keep it stock and have one less thing to worry about doing manually.

I installed the MCCT about a month ago and it fixed up the noise coming from the cam chain, but it's happening again after about a thousand kms. I think it's just a false positive since you don't know how many clicks out you are. You could go through the hassle of installing the auto tensioner to see, but that's just a pain in the ass.

I went ahead and ordered all the parts from Halls, came to $94 before shipping. They were $15 more expensive on the chain, but getting things shipped from two different places to Canada would cost more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosedog View Post
    "...why wouldn't you" ? Or why would you? There's not a thing wrong with the auto adjuster, it's not the reason the chains were prematurely wearing out.
    I'd say keep it stock and have one less thing to worry about doing manually.
    I was under the impression that a manual tensioner would put less strain on the chain and in turn possibly cause it to stretch less. I was also told the auto tensioner can sometimes put too much tension on the chain at high rpm shut off, which could be what's causing the chain issues. If you have a manual tensioner it will not change like the auto one does under different conditions. My thought was to put on a manual tensioner and check and adjust it at each valve check. Maybe it won't change anything or maybe it will.. I was just curious if anyone had tried it and what the results were. My shop told me not to even worry about the chain because it's not an issue but on here it seems to be the main topic concerning these bikes. Does anyone have an 08-09 with a chain that needed replaced?? or is it all 06-07 models?? Is it possible that Husky has corrected this problem??? Like I said, I have a new bike and I want to stay on top of everything from the get go.

I installed the MCCT about a month ago and it fixed up the noise coming from the cam chain, but it's happening again after about a thousand kms. I think it's just a false positive since you don't know how many clicks out you are. You could go through the hassle of installing the auto tensioner to see, but that's just a pain in the ass.

I went ahead and ordered all the parts from Halls, came to $94 before shipping. They were $15 more expensive on the chain, but getting things shipped from two different places to Canada would cost more than that.
    What parts are you talking about? and are you saying you wouldn't do the MCCT?? Isn't there a way to measure the chain stretch without the stock tensioner???

I emailed George at Uptite several months ago. I asked him if he had a solution to the 610 cam chain issue. He said that the auto tensioner is the same design as Huskys, Ktm, Aprillia, Ducati, Husaberg and others since the mid 80's, and it's a good design. He said he had several customers with 35,000 miles on the same cam chain. He said that rider style can be a factor (jerky throttle, downshifting getting wheel hop). He also said oil type could have an effect and he recommended Spectro 4 Offroad 20/50 Petro for break-in, then the Blend after 800 miles.
    2008 Husqvarna SM610

Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post
    I emailed George at Uptite several months ago. I asked him if he had a solution to the 610 cam chain issue. He said that the auto tensioner is the same design as Huskys, Ktm, Aprillia, Ducati, Husaberg and others since the mid 80's, and it's a good design. He said he had several customers with 35,000 miles on the same cam chain. He said that rider style can be a factor (jerky throttle, downshifting getting wheel hop). He also said oil type could have an effect and he recommended Spectro 4 Offroad 20/50 Petro for break-in, then the Blend after 800 miles.

That's similar to what I've been told as well.. So why is it common around here for chains at 10k and do we really know what years are affected if there is truely a problem??

I just want to be able to get at least 20,000 miles out of my motor if possible. I pick up my replacement bike this week and I want to do anything I can to ensure it's reliable and will last.

My dealer said the manual tensioner wasn't needed and the chain isn't an issue.. Another mechanic said definately do the manual tensioner.. Forum says just replace it every 10k.. WTF?? Maybe there is no answer other than it depends on the bike and the rider..

That's similar to what I've been told as well.. So why is it common around here for chains at 10k and do we really know what years are affected if there is truely a problem??

I just want to be able to get at least 20,000 miles out of my motor if possible. I pick up my replacement bike this week and I want to do anything I can to ensure it's reliable and will last.

My dealer said the manual tensioner wasn't needed and the chain isn't an issue.. Another mechanic said definately do the manual tensioner.. Forum says just replace it every 10k.. WTF?? Maybe there is no answer other than it depends on the bike and the rider..
    I think your concerns and questions about the cam chain and tensioner could be best answered by George at Uptite, he knows the 610 motor better than anyone on the planet.
    You could put your fears to rest maybe by giving him a call.

I think your concerns and questions about the cam chain and tensioner could be best answered by George at Uptite, he knows the 610 motor better than anyone on the planet.
    You could put your fears to rest maybe by giving him a call.
    I wouldn't call them fears.. just searching for the correct information. Not sure who George is but thanks.

I wouldn't call them fears.. just searching for the correct information. Not sure who George is but thanks.
    There you go:
    http://uptitehusky.com/index.htm

Speaking of which, I wish someone would make his items available for sale online. It's 2010, I rarely call people to buy stuff I found on the internet, especially when it's international.

There you go:

Speaking of which, I wish someone would make his items available for sale online. It's 2010, I rarely call people to buy stuff I found on the internet, especially when it's international.
    George is old-school. He barely knows his way around a keyboard but will talk to you on the phone for as long as you want, at least that's been my experience.

There you go:

Thanks for the link. I checked the forum on his site and the same question I have is posted there with no answer. I guess it's going to take a phone call to find out for sure.

George is old-school. He barely knows his way around a keyboard but will talk to you on the phone for as long as you want, at least that's been my experience.
    Yeah I saw that mentioned somewhere else. It's too bad because it would increase his sales a hundred fold. Whoever is making the website for him needs to make a freaggin webstore! I like the about page...lol

http://www.uptitehusky.com/about_us.htm

It's too bad because it would increase his sales a hundred fold. Whoever is making the website for him needs to make a freaggin webstore!
    A buddie of mine from NC was out there riding baja recently and had to start his trip with a stop at Georges shop for a part to his TE310. He said it was the biggest mess he'd ever seen, that you couldn't walk anywhere for tripping on old parts lying around. I don't think he's set up for a internet sales or even much for walk-ins, too disorganized it sounds like. But if you're there or on the phone with him and you need help, he does anything he can for you. Like I said before...old school.

FYI:

Halls Cycles prices are cheaper than actually listed. Here's my receipt:

Valve cover gasket - $3.50 x 2 = $7.00
    Chain = $65.99 (listed as 85.99 on their website)
    Water pump gasket = $1.99
    Total = $74.98

Hi. dirtyhucker . does the flywheel puller you used fit all sm 610 . i need one for my 08 ,
    does it have a left handed thread or is it normal to screw on to flywheel ??
    thanks need your help

i think its the same puller but not sure, call dan at motoxotica he will know. and i do believe it is left handed because the center punch threads in normal to press off the unit. sorry for the late response.
    -Jon

Anybody know what size the bolt is on the flywheel? Thanks

If you look on the first page, first post, it references a part number for the fly wheel puller if that helps. I think I have read that it is a 35 mil. Any one else?
    2007 Husqvarna SM610
    Leo Vince Exhaust
    Hand Guards
    Bald Rear Tire

Default 610 timing

thanks to dirtyhucker i would have been in deep cak... just about to replace the head gasket on my 610r (2000) what a job, could not work out how to get that dam water tube out,...
    thanks...
    BK

-1 to pennies (at least Canadian ones - see pic.)
    -1 to wet rag (at least my rags - see pic.)
    +1 to impact gun which got the job done in less than a second.
    To everyone wondering what size the thread is on the flywheel, it's 35mm x 1.5, just as the OP mentioned. I bought that exact puller and it works fine. Husky isn't even listed on the models it fits. The nut holding the flywheel on is 24mm. All threads are standard right hand thread. I just took these pics 5 minutes ago, I'm in the middle of this job myself. This tutorial gave me the motivation to do it!
    Lucky I did too. The oil reed valve was kinda beat up... but still appears operational. I filed it nice, as the chain had chewed it up a little.
    Good luck! I'm about 5 hours in, but I'm taking my time and making sure everything is cool. I hope to be riding it by Thursday evening!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Cam chain slider?

I just received a quote from Hall's for parts to do this job, and it included this:
    800081149 cam chain slider. LONG! $28.99

What is this? First time I've seen it mentioned.

There's two "slider" type items in there, one on the tight side and one on the tensioner side. Halls probably included a price for the chain slider on the tensioner side. Probably not required unless it's worn through. My chain was in rough shape but the sliders are okay.

Quote Originally Posted by revser View Post
    thanks to dirtyhucker i would have been in deep cak... just about to replace the head gasket on my 610r (2000) what a job, could not work out how to get that dam water tube out,...
    thanks...
    no prob!
    -Jon

Turns out it was the dam water pump gasket seal set ,water in the oil ! So thought it was the head gasket, all that work and money and only cost we 10 quid in the end. Ahggggg
    BK

the part number for the clutch puller on page one didn't jive with anything motion pro has, so I contacted them and they told me this is what I was looking for
    http://motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0349/
    Last edited by cbsean; 09-06-2010 at 01:31 PM.
    the difference between being not guilty and not innocent http://freelancethink.blogspot.com/

Default flywheel puller

i have the flywheel puller i bought from dirtyhucker from back in the day if some one wants to buy it!
    30 bucks

whats up jon!

umn, is yours a motion pro or husky one? i need one for a sm610
    the difference between being not guilty and not innocent http://freelancethink.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cbsean View Post
    umn, is yours a motion pro or husky one? i need one for a sm610
    pm sent to you!

flywheel puller 27 bucks shipped anywhere in the usa
    pm me

hahahaah hey! whats the dealio now? no more ape?
    -Jon

nope got a hyper 796 now
    i had to try all Italian brands so i got a ducati!

whats up with you jon? riding anymore? still got your dirt bike?

mike
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyhucker View Post
    hahahaah hey! whats the dealio now? no more ape?

Default Stripped cam gear bolts

"OK, now is the fun part. Removing the Cam Gear Bolts. These bad boys are loctited on and it really showed when i was taking them off. HAVE A FRESH ALLEN TOOL!! IF you have an old one with any kind of rounded corners, YOU WILL STRIP OUT THESE BOLTS!! I had to have a wrench on the balancer nut shown in the pict to keep the cam gear from spinning the motor while removing the bolts. Good LUCK!"

Snap-On allen looked good, but I stripped a cam gear bolt. Is there a better way to get this out than welding something (like the now rounded allen socket) to the bolt? I doubt that a vise grip would work. I'm open to any suggestions.

I recall reading from DirtyHucker's cam chain replacement to use a brand new allen wrench -- I guess it is confirmed that this is definitely needed.

Can you tell me what size it is? I was thinking about getting one of the allen heads that is a socket extension.
    2008 Husqvarna SM610

Speaking to the uneven mileage intervals between riders and cam chain wear:

The riders right hand has more of an effect on cam chain wear than oil type or quality or tensioner type or quality.

Lots of "brap-brapping" at stoplights, wheelies, or other sudden "drop the hammer" throttle use is hard on the cam chain.

Some of the responses in this thread skeered me so I checked my CCT notches, I'm at 4 clicks gone and 9800 miles on my '07 SM610.
    08 TC450, 07 SM610
    93 WXC360, 84 CR250
    77 360WR, 76 360CR
    a GSXR, a YZ, a couple CBR's
    and a couple Harleys

Circus, it's a 5mm. I was using a snap-on allen socket, which wasn't new, but looked good.
    JonXX, mine is an '06 SM, and I don't do any of the things you say might cause premature wear. I've been riding over 50 years and never had a cam chain problem before.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyhucker View Post
    if you dont know where your cam chain tentioner is than im sorry bud, ive failed this entire thread.

But since youve asked... its just above the starter to the left (in the pic) you wold remove the 10 mm screw in the center first, than unscrew the two 8mm screws that hold the assy. into the case. read the corresponding notches that are on the shaft soming from the body, if its 9 or more you might want to consider replacing that cam chain.

Dirtyhucker,

Awesome job documenting how to do this. I got my kit to replace my cam chain. I have not torn things down yet as I am at 8 clicks still, but getting ready.

1. Again, not torn things down, but when I look at the current water pump + gasket it looks like they have a gasket plus some additional sealing (gasket sealant?). Is it only a gasket or do they also add sealant?

2. In your picture of the left side case you show some dark brown gasket sealant where the gasket would go. Is it gasket only, or gasket + sealant?
    Last edited by Circus; 06-06-2011 at 07:09 PM.
    2008 Husqvarna SM610

Default Chain splitter.....

Hi Guys....haven't been on the forum for a bit.....my Husky is sitting at 18,000km now, and my CCT nut has just come undone again.....rumble strip vibration.....AAAARGHHH

Have been trying all day to locate an impact driver from local rental outfits......no luck.....the pnnies and rags didn't work for me either, but the impact driver does the trick to torque the nut down.....however I digress from the cam chain replacement snippet I needed to mention.

My chain was finished at approx 11,500km, and the guy who did the replacement for me split the chain, which eliminated a lot of the headache of splitting the motor. He is a qualified technician that used to work for BMW and KTM and I haven't had any hassles from him doing this.

Has anybody else heard of this trick?
    2006 SM610

quick question to you husky guys. Im new to sumos in general and have heard that the husky's require alot of maintence and keep up. Right now ive got a suzuki drz400s (i know, a wimp compared to alot of other sumos) converted to sm and me and a buddy ride them at least 300-400 miles a week if weather lets us. Mostly tearing up the town and twisties, not alot of hiway cruising. And they really dont need alot of upkeep or maintence. How would a husky compare to these bikes as far as that goes?

1. Oil change every 3000 miles (15 minutes)
    2. Valve adjust every 3000 miles (1-2 hours -- most of this time just taking stuff off the bike to get to the valves) -- faster if you leave the radiators on the bike but simply pull them out of the way.
    3. Cam chain replacement every 6000-12000 miles (depends on # of clicks in your automatic cam chain tensioner) (4-6 hours). Adjust your valves while you are there.
    4. Watch your stock clutch cable for fraying
    2008 Husqvarna SM610