Thread: Titling with no MSO?

Default Titling with no MSO?

Hey,
    I'm still in the process of finding my first bike, and had a question about titling. I skimmed through the "how do you tag a non streetlegal tard" and it seems like it is pretty easy as long as you have the MSO.

What happens if you don't have this? I stopped by a bike shop and asked them what they thought, and they said I would have to get the parts to have it legal, have it inspected by the highway patrol/dot, then go to the DMV and get a custom built title thing. (then again the shop was one selling only custom built choppers/cruisers).

Now I don't mind doing all this as long as it works, but I cannot afford higher insurance; will the "custom" on the title affect this (even if I have only liability)?

Thanks ahead of time,
    -Alex

In Tennessee to get your bike titled you need the mso and original bill of sale to show taxes have been paid. If taxes have not been paid, you will have to pay them. As far as inspection goes if your county does not make you go through one, then you might get by without one. In Tennessee all you have to do is sign a piece of paper saying it's street legal. From there they leave up to the cops to determine if it legal, if you ever get caught.

Insurance on supermoto is quite cheap. I checked into it and got quotes around $40-$50 a month.

If I were you I would look for a bike that has been titled to save you any hassel.

You can always buy a bike and then buy a $100 junker with a title and use it's tag.
    05' KTM 450 SMR
    07' Buell Lightning XB9SX

In Pa. it seems as long as you pay the taxes they will give you a title.

Insurance I pay $200.00 a year.

yeah, the problem is that a lot of people lose the mso because it's "just" a dirt bike and never intended for street use. I guess I could say I "built" it but I don't want to pay outrageous amounts of insurance because it s registered as a "custom built machine." hmm...maybe I'll stop by the dot, dmv, and ask my cop friends what they think...

thanks guys,
    -alex

I don't know about South Carolina but here in Missouri I bought a bike from Kansas with no MSO, no title, just a thorough bill of sale. Missouri said that since Kansas doesn't need to title to pay taxes I'm fine. So now I have a title and can get it plated as soon as it's inspected. Your best bet is to call your state capital's DMV office. I called Jeff City and talked to a few people and when I went to my local DMV I told them who I talked to and they called them to verify. That was it! It really seems to me that it depends all on the state... Pretty much sucks because of that. States need a federal law for titling stuff.

you NEED a MSO or previous title to register it in south carolina. no way around it, believe me i looked.. its the whole reason it took me over a year to find my CR500.

has this bike EVER been titled? if so, then you can get the previous owners title.
    you'll have to do a title search.. then you have their name.
    then you goto the DMV with their name and the Vin, and pay your $15 for a duplicate title.
    then you have them sign the back. i will leave this part up to you either doing it the right way, finding the person.. or otherwise, i woudlnt say anything online.

this is messed up if you think about it, since it means ANYONE with the owners name and a vin can get a title... but its true. ive done it twice now for old cars... (FYI both times i DID track down the person, since they they were local)

if its never been titled, the dealership is required to hold onto the paperwork for a number of years (i think 3...) you can go there and get the MSO if they dont have it.. or find the original owner that way, and get the MSO if they have it.

ok, lets say its never been titled, and the original MSO is destroyed, and the terms are up for the factory to issue a duplicate (Hard to impossible anyway)

now the title/MSO is tied to the frame. nothing else. to the DMV, the frame IS the bike. so that leaves you two options...

1. buy another frame. this comes with an MSO. or get one thats already been titled.
    2. say you bought this frame, and make up a bill of sale. depending on how far you want to make a papertrail, this can be legal as it is your bike to sell to your best friend, and he can sell you the frame back for that project bike...... you can then fill out a 4038 -- http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/fo...%206-13-03.pdf there are more instructions on there. be warned.. if your title says "rebuilt" or not will be 100% dependant upon the person sitting at the computer at the DMV.. some may type it in.. some may not think of it. dress nice, smile, be polite and likable, and things are more likely to go smoothly.. remember, people arnt out to cheat the DMV, so they arnt out to get you.. lol.

doing one of thoes two will result in a title.. and you can then register that.

and remember.. where there is enough will.. theres a way.. heres proof.... note, it doesnt say WHAT its exempt from.. its just... exempt.
    thats social skill.

The best thing about motards is being able to live the childhood dream of following the ups and downs next to the highway.
    DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK

sweet! thanks a bunch man! I think you recommended a hawk to me on scriders when I was looking for my first bike. But anyways, there is a 2002 426 dirt for sale in the forums here. The seller is not the original owner and the MSO is gone, assuming the title is gone as well... if there is no title, should I just find a different bike since I want to plate it?
    thanks again,
    -Alex

yes. if they dont have a title or MSO, then TECHNICALLY they do not own the bike, and cannot transfer ownership in south carolina.

the law says you dont have to REGISTER the bike. but when it rolled off that showroom floor, the person holding the MSO was the owner.. if you took that to the DMV, they would give you an off road title with your name on it.
    none of that is required... but TECHICALLY.. no MSO, no legal owner.

and its a total pain in the ass, with the only ways around it being sketchy at best, outright illegal if you're not careful.

find a diffrent bike.. theres a few WR426s already street legal in NC... i saw two for sale less then a month ago.
    The best thing about motards is being able to live the childhood dream of following the ups and downs next to the highway.
    DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK

do you have a title or bill of sale, why no MSO?
    CR500 Street Tard blacked out with Baja Designs race light kit & full port & polished motor

Quote Originally Posted by CTATV View Post
    do you have a title or bill of sale, why no MSO?
    you only have a MSO when its new.
    the MSO gets traded for a title.
    that title is then the ownership doc, until someone relinquishes it to a state to get another title.. etc..

basically MSO = title... its just its the first title, from the manufacturer

bill of sale is almost worthless as far as getting anything done, unless you have a title.
    DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK