Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: older tards????

Default older tards????

Most of the bikes I see here a pretty damn new! I really want to get into this sport recreationally but I have like no money.... College kid.....

I have been looking into converting an old dual sport, becauseI do still like riding off road alot. I have an 87 cbr600 right now and its my first sportbike and I really dont like it that much, I love hitting twisties, exploring back roads, and I love hitting little jumps off the beaten path. so i guess it seems natural that I should have a motard right????

so I have been looking into older XRs, mainly older DRs, some KLXs, and old Ktm and husabergs. these are the bikes that might be with in my price range.
    so I want to see all the guys rockin older bikes and what you suggest I should do??? I know that laced wheels are kinda pricey but I was thinking of a gs500/katana rim swap on a DR. or if I got an XR I have a set of hawk gt rims and with a little skill and luck I wanted to find a gt single sided swinger and do a custom job...

but heres a pic for refrence of whatI would love to have, I think this is a 92 dr350, with gs rims and rm forks...

pookiebear has a bike almost exactly like that. he doesn't have the upside down fork, but he has a dr350 with gs500 rims on it. He built it really cheap and it looks good. I'm sure he'll chime in within a little bit.

I did up a friend's DR350 with 83 gs750 wheels over the winter.

How I did it....

that thing looks great!!!!! I just have to find some one who will trade a dr350 for a cafe/fightered cbr600

should i go for a dr350 over a dr650? is there really a big difference in wieght, fun factor,reliability, and mpgs?

and your in rochester!!!! I live in Alexandria Bay ny, but I have alot of friends in irondiquoit

Quote Originally Posted by scottycbr View Post
    Most of the bikes I see here a pretty damn new! I really want to get into this sport recreationally but I have like no money.... College kid.....

I have been looking into converting an old dual sport, becauseI do still like riding off road alot. I have an 87 cbr600 right now and its my first sportbike and I really dont like it that much, I love hitting twisties, exploring back roads, and I love hitting little jumps off the beaten path. so i guess it seems natural that I should have a motard right????

so I have been looking into older XRs, mainly older DRs, some KLXs, and old Ktm and husabergs. these are the bikes that might be with in my price range.
    so I want to see all the guys rockin older bikes and what you suggest I should do??? I know that laced wheels are kinda pricey but I was thinking of a gs500/katana rim swap on a DR. or if I got an XR I have a set of hawk gt rims and with a little skill and luck I wanted to find a gt single sided swinger and do a custom job...

but heres a pic for refrence of whatI would love to have, I think this is a 92 dr350, with gs rims and rm forks...
    I had a DR350 for enough time to put about $5000.00 inot it trying to make it inot a bike as good as a stock XR600R then I sold it and got this. Do yourself a favor and tard up an XR instead.
    I claim to be afraid of Horses, this is only to get out of attending parades. Odd but the horses get it.
    2001 Honda XR400R plated and ready for little wheels and tyres!
    1985 BMW E28 Dinan 535i, 2004 Focus SVT

oldies are good,heres a pick of my 89 xr600.i sold it about 2 years ago to get my xr 650l.

those both look like great bikes! are they really big bikes???? I think I sat on one at a dealership once and it seemed really talll. I am 6'2" but I still dont want something I cant throw around a little. I know I sat on a klr650 and it was hugeeeee. the dr650s arent that big. I dont know, and I heard the XRs arnt that good on gas? those reallly look great though!

what about a KLX 650???? they seem fairly cheap?

that thing looks great!!!!! I just have to find some one who will trade a dr350 for a cafe/fightered cbr600

should i go for a dr350 over a dr650? is there really a big difference in wieght, fun factor,reliability, and mpgs?
    I purchased an 87 Hurricane for the rims, rotors and brakes for my sumo conversion.

I paid $300.00 for the Hurricane and parted the thing out on ebay minus the parts I needed and made over $2,500.00.

The old CBR600F1 Hurricanes have almost a cult following and people will pay top dollar for body parts, if you have any left post them on ebay to pay for your build, thats what I did.

I still get emails at least once a week from people looking for F1 parts, if you want I can forward them to you.

BTW the F1 rims work very well on the XR400, see my post here on SMJ.

unfortunetly most of the plastics were toast after the previous owner hit a guard rail reallly hard.... I do have an fiberglass upper fairing with headlight, the rear side panels, and the tiny tail piece. most of those have the tabs broken though? I should sell it all I just have to get off my ass to do it

unfortunetly most of the plastics were toast after the previous owner hit a guard rail reallly hard.... I do have an fiberglass upper fairing with headlight, the rear side panels, and the tiny tail piece. most of those have the tabs broken though? I should sell it all I just have to get off my ass to do it
    I got like 4 bills for the upper fairing, headlight, combo on ebay.

1990 CR500, just AWSOME to ride...

And then theres my REALLY old tard

CR500 Street Tard blacked out with Baja Designs race light kit & full port & polished motor

well I live in ny so taging 2smokes is trcikkkyyyyyyy..... damn sweeet bike though, I honestly dont think i could handle it lol.

sweet bike one of the few harleys I like! my dad is building an Indian board track racer right now!

well I live in ny so taging 2smokes is trcikkkyyyyyyy..... damn sweeet bike though, I honestly dont think i could handle it lol.

sweet bike one of the few harleys I like! my dad is building an Indian board track racer right now!

in CT just need to get a street title (from another state) and theres no bike inspection so your good to go.

the harley my grandfather bought from the farmer across the street in 1933 for $1.50

not a bad deal...
    CR500 Street Tard blacked out with Baja Designs race light kit & full port & polished motor

Been playing with the idea of doing the supermoto thing with a 86 xl600 I'm about to pick up. Had just thought of trying to find some sport bike wheels used. Great to see people are already doing it.
    Glad to see in my first post that I'm not the only person messing with building a ghettotard.

those both look like great bikes! are they really big bikes???? I think I sat on one at a dealership once and it seemed really talll. I am 6'2" but I still dont want something I cant throw around a little. I know I sat on a klr650 and it was hugeeeee. the dr650s arent that big. I dont know, and I heard the XRs arnt that good on gas? those reallly look great though!

what about a KLX 650???? they seem fairly cheap?

The KLXs are great bikes after you sort the factory problems, but the other problem with them is the aftermarket, axtuallyt the lack of an aftermarket for them.
    I claim to be afraid of Horses, this is only to get out of attending parades. Odd but the horses get it.

Quote Originally Posted by oilspot View Post
    Been playing with the idea of doing the supermoto thing with a 86 xl600 I'm about to pick up. Had just thought of trying to find some sport bike wheels used. Great to see people are already doing it.
    Glad to see in my first post that I'm not the only person messing with building a ghettotard.
    One draw back to the stock mag swap is weitght. They are probably twice the weight of a set of spoked 17's.

I love my XR for running around on the street, but gotta make room for Screams bike now!

03 crf 450 new baby
    95 xr 600, high comp piston and stage 1 cam for sale

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you are really trying to have fun cheaply and you can find some super cheap older bike, remember that you don't have to do a 17' wheel conversion.
    Just put a good set of tires on the stock rims and you can still have a ball. Don't sink a ton of money into an old bike unless you want an "older unique" motard.
    "It is not the critic who counts..."
    -T. R.

Scotty that is awesome the 1987 CBR was also my first road bike! I was the second owner and paid like $1100 back in 94'. The guy I sold it to still rides it to work in the summer. It was in the local shop a few weeks ago for a tune. It has like some 73K on it now.

Are you just looking for an old enduro to do a wheel swap? If I were you I would find an old XR and part out the rest of the bike. If you sell that thing complete you won't get shit for it. I just seen a BRP on ebay some place in New York. Not sure if the CBR wheels fit on the XR though.

Just my $.02 good luck!

yeh I know i reallly couldnt get any money for it unless some one had the same tastes as me< unlikely> but seeing as it was my first "built" bike for me I think I might keep it for a long time for sentimental reasons and that it couldnt pull a penny in the market. I might as well just save up and by my self a graduation present next spring or maybe the rents will get me a graduation present!?!?!?!

welll as far as a wheel swap on an older bike, I have a set of hawk gt rims, s if I set my self on a project..... you might see a single sided swinger xr in the future!? be warned

Default No to KLX

The bad thing about the old KLX bikes, it as Sniper X said, there isn't much of an aftermarket for them... It is hard to get parts for them from the dealers!

The good thing about the KLX bikes, is they are like the XR and DRZ bikes, they just run and run. Bombproof. Another thing is not very many are out there!

I've had my '94 KLX 650 for about 3 years, made it street legal as soon as I picked it up. I've seen only one other KLX (not legal).

I had to have a rear brake hose custom made, since the factory unit is no longer made (tried a few different shops and all gave me the same answer).

I bought the bike because I got a sweet deal on it. Already had a Big Gun exhaust and aftermarket Mukuni carb installed. It runs like a tractor, pulls wicked hard down low but the vibration can kill.
    '96 XR400R, 440, ported, oversized valves, cam, carb, pipe, street legal
    '07 Honda VTX1800T. LoAdEd.
    Sold (never shoulda); '94 Kawasaki KLX650R (dirt version). Big Gun exhaust, cam and carb, 15/43T, street legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    If you are really trying to have fun cheaply and you can find some super cheap older bike, remember that you don't have to do a 17' wheel conversion.
    Just put a good set of tires on the stock rims and you can still have a ball. Don't sink a ton of money into an old bike unless you want an "older unique" motard.
    I Think this is the best advise here, i picked up a bone stock 99 XRL for 500, yes 500. put bout 400 into having the carbs cleaned and oil changed and all that cuz i am a newb and then about shot myself after i realized the money i could have saved doing it myself. which i always do now I have the big 21" in the front and 18 in the rear and i love it, got some pirelli tires for like 250 total and about 4000 miles on them already, they look new
    99 XR650L as SM as i can afford right now

havent been on in damn long time!!!! no internet at home....

Well I am back at school I got high speed inty and have been cruising all the posts since may on the street tard section!!!!

I saw a few really sweet older bikes, xt600 and that black xt350 which was amazing!!!
    I am really glad to see older bikes like being made into amazing tards! I love wayy up in northern ny so even finding a dual sport was impossible this summer... I ended up getting a 1984 honda cb700 nighthawk S,

It was damn cheap and is a good mode of transpo for the time being at school.

I graduate in the spring and my rents mentioned a graduation gift... they said a car, but I have 99 jetta tdi that I love and no way want a new car... so I was thinking a drz400sm! I thought about maybe just looking for an older bike to convert but I kinda want something new that I can ride more than time I have to spend working on it.

but any ways Im back and I want to keep this thread alive and see more older tards!!!! post any pics you have!!

SV650's are dirt cheap used. Not a supermoto, but cheap wheels.

I have a KLX650C that I'm in the process of 'tarding, and while parts are hard to find they aren't all that bad. I've got a kickstarter + short swingarm + triples + forks off an R (dirt) model about to go on, and a set of 17s that I picked up for $750 shipped. I need to get it back together though, and my friend managed to fuck up the little end of my rod when doing a top end rebuild so it'll probably be a couple months.
    2004 625SMC STOLEN 9/18/2009
    00 SV650... not stock

i have to say i waited untill i graduated to start buying toys. IN college spend time drinking and boning, and getting a degree that will get you a job. Once you are out go crazy and buy all the toys you have dreamed of
    SM USA #322.
    2013 Rider Rep / New Racer Mentor
    www.supermotousa.com

Lagunitas Brewery. Beer speaks, people mumble. / Bell Helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by scottiedawg66 View Post
    i have to say i waited untill i graduated to start buying toys. IN college spend time drinking and boning, and getting a degree that will get you a job. Once you are out go crazy and buy all the toys you have dreamed of

you know whats up

95klx 650R still working on cosmetics. but it has tons of torque and is a lot of fun to ride to school.

that looks great man do you have any side pics?

This is me riding my brothers 96 XR 600r tard. He picked it up dirt cheap as a baja/desert race bike and converted the wheels to sumo. Man this this is a BEAST! It is a professional tire eater too!

...oh and this dang thing is probably one of the most reliable bike's I've ever ridden.

hey dont give up but listen to some of theese other guys the honda xr400 xr600, xl600 or the 650"s are plentyful and you can find a deal also like sniper said the aft market parts are plentiful good luck

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/843531756.html
    this seems like a really good deal and it would be a good start right? but are those older ones really heavy and hard to handle?? I would like to do some trail riding as well. and alot of hooliganing<curbs, little grass hills, maybe some ledges> ? I would also like to start getting good at wheelies and stoppies.

Thats an xl600r...you want a XR600R :p They look much better and faster engines

Here's my WIP XR
    2008 Husqvarna SM450R
    Check out the Supermoto Central Shop for the new Supermoto Central gear!

just throw some wheels on a CR500, and its a pretty fun ride..
    they're cheap, and the older they are, the faster they get.(kinda) lol.

The best thing about motards is being able to live the childhood dream of following the ups and downs next to the highway.
    DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK

yeh I know I was mainly looking at the price, What year is ur XR? it looks damn nice!

yes a cr500 would be ILL but I live in NY and registering one of those would be damn near impossible!!! plus I dont thi nk I could afford the gas...

I see you have a hawk GT #666 thats soooo sick! My dad has one and I rode it around all summer, such a blast!

i did a super cheap sumo conversion on my trusty 1988 XR250 about 3 years ago. did not last long though since i prefer riding it on dirt. anyway, all i did was dismantle a 1984 honda CBX750F rear mag and drilled holes for spokes on the 3.00 x 18 rim then laced to the stock rear hub and the 2.15x18 rear rim on the front hub. i used a 150/70x18 dunlop for the rear and a 130/70 michelin on the front. total cost? PHP500(almost $10) just for the rim lacing and drill bit i used! the rear mag and tires i found in my dad's junk collection!

it worked very well in the daily commute and the people here during that time did not know much about supermoto yet so i got a few weird stares from them.
    1988 Honda XLR250....its old but still kicking ass!

Sick DIY!!!! I am very impressed!

still have those rim/tires?

hahaha nvm ur in the phillipines lol

sold the rear rim to a buddy, i sold the tires dirt cheap and my XR is back to stock trim...well kinda. anyway i believe what i did a few years back started a craze here! some of my buddies got so jealous of my 250 tard that they converted there 125cc dual sport mopeds too! heres one!

1988 Honda XLR250....its old but still kicking ass!

hahah thats pretty sick!

bring this back from the dead.... I found this pic while searching around on the internet, I might have seen it here before as well. It is quite a sick machine!

Quote Originally Posted by themanoy View Post
    sold the rear rim to a buddy, i sold the tires dirt cheap and my XR is back to stock trim...well kinda. anyway i believe what i did a few years back started a craze here! some of my buddies got so jealous of my 250 tard that they converted there 125cc dual sport mopeds too! heres one!

outrageous
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Would be nice if it was a 2 stroke.

Man I love the looks of the old XT and TT500s with the modern twist.
    '08 Husky sm450r (13k miles and counting)
    '03 Honda xr400r (street titled)

damn and i thought i was the only one that was into the old.well not into it but forced to it, more like it (no money) i made the mistake of buying a new quad and not a bike instead...so i just got a 1986 kdx 200 that im gonna convert i just need to find some wheels and tires cheap ..i have a set of ninja 250 wheels im gonna work on getting on it i pretty much lost intrest till i saw this thread...

94 old pig XR600R cheap tard

ZIPPER
    94´XR600R

XT yamahas are cheep as hell and you can make them SuMos but with a little help like front fork conversion and so on this is a pic of mine since I finished it.

Hell Scotty, I have a 98 YZ400 Sumo that is plated I am trying to sell. Make me an offer.

Tim
    05.5 KTM 950Adventure, The Traveler
    02 KTM 400 EXC Supermoto, The Hooligan
    07 CRF 50, The STUNT MAsheen

Quote Originally Posted by spamrot View Post
    This is me riding my brothers 96 XR 600r tard. He picked it up dirt cheap as a baja/desert race bike and converted the wheels to sumo. Man this this is a BEAST! It is a professional tire eater too!

...oh and this dang thing is probably one of the most reliable bike's I've ever ridden.
    Hey I recognize Beaver Run Wilson Circuit - front straight. We race there with OYL. I didn't know they let you guys run the big tards out there. Pretty awesome!
    http://www.squidbusters.com/sb
    Forum Admin

Ninja650.com
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Hell Scotty, I have a 98 YZ400 Sumo that is plated I am trying to sell. Make me an offer.

Tim
    thanks man but Colorado is a little far for me!!!!

I have been keeping my eyes out for an old Xt500 or honda XL. kinda hard to find here in the northeast. funds arent to good either <senoir college student>. hope fully in the next year or two I will have a "real" job and some spending money!!!!

keep the pics coming !!!