Thread: ohio license plate law

Default ohio license plate law

Does any one know the law for license plate placment in ohio? I got pulled over tonight for an out tail light, which was not actually out. I thought to myself ya it looks out when you have a spotlight, flashing lights, and the brights on the car pointed on it. I proceded to show the cop how it was lighting up when i applied the brakes and even how the ground was lighting up under the bike. Then he was like oh well ohio law says that the license plate must read left to right (where as mine is vertical). I have seen multiple bikes with vertical plates. I then noticed there were five cop cars behind me. Dont they have anything better to do? No ticket for the license plate but I also just got a ticket this morning on the way to class for running a red light in my car. I was stuck behind someone in the middle of the intersection who turned slow and didnt put their turn signal on until half way through the turn, so i had no where to go. We both entered the intersection at the yellow light. Does any one know what the law here is for plates? Thanks. Also should i fight the ticket, what are some of the ups and downs of it such as court cost? I have 6 points right now and my insurance is going to sky rocket if i dont fight it. Any one with experience with this? Any info will help, thanks!!

All states required the plate be read left to right. You need a plate light too. Most of the time they don't bother you, but some cops are pricks, especially in OH. Ohio cops are the worst. Especially in Akron. FTP.

Damn so i guess i should re-mount it. Thanks i thinks its bull shit because ive had many cops wave at me and give me the thumbs up for my bike. I think its just because its the end of the month and they didnt meet their quota. FTP is right damnit.

why FTP ????
    You broke the law.... why not FTL (L = law makers) ?

I don't care for cops either but I don't understand why people blame the cops for themselves breaking the law.... just like blaming guns for killing poeple and spoons for making people fat...... WTF

sorry for the rant...

2007 KTM 525 EXC - supermoto & dirt duty
    - - - Marchesini wheels, F2racing 'powerback', Scotts, KTM 320 rotor, SicAss rear, sliders, fan, & other KTM bits
    2000 Ducati 996
    - - - Marchesini magnesium wheels, Brembo radial masters, Termi C/F, FBF stage II, Nichols flywheel, Brembo lightweight rotors & R calipers, Alum. clutch, Goodridge, Ohlins, Techtronics elec. shifter... the list goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by my996duc1 View Post
    why FTP ????
    You broke the law.... why not FTL (L = law makers) ?

I don't care for cops either but I don't understand why people blame the cops for themselves breaking the law.... just like blaming guns for killing poeple and spoons for making people fat...... WTF

sorry for the rant...

lol, I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like the original poster has an issue with not obeying the law. To the OP, if you already have 6 points and got stopped twice today it sounds like something your doing, not the popo. So instead of saying FTP, you might want to say FMID......F*** me I'm dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderace1997 View Post
    lol, I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like the original poster has an issue with not obeying the law. To the OP, if you already have 6 points and got stopped twice today it sounds like something your doing, not the popo. So instead of saying FTP, you might want to say FMID......F*** me I'm dumb.
    Well when there are four cop cars behind you and they claim they pull you over for an out tail light when clearly its lighting up the front yards and houses on the street, i think its a little too far. They were just looking to find something wrong with my bike. When they couldnt find anything wrong they resorted to the license plate. How many choppers and sportbikes have you seen with vertical plates? Correct me if im wrong but i see about 40-50 every wed. when i go to bike night during the summer. And to the whole getting stoped and having 6 points. Have you never gotten pulled over for having some fun on your bike? If not your not having enough fun or riding hard enough haha. Thats just the way i see it. You only live once, live life to the fullest, have no regrets, and dont look back!

lol, i guess man. I'm not the one paying for it though.

Im gonna fight the red light ticket because i believe i had nothing else to do but go through the intersection. And i didnt get a ticket for the license plate. For the reckles op ticket (which is 6 pts.) the cop said he started to follow me because i "turned to fast", he obviousley hasnt seen a supermoto before because you can lean the bike and scrape the pegs going 10 mph. He also put excess of 60+ in a 25 when he didnt clock me. Its easy to get goin over 60 while catching up to someone when you didnt start following him until he is 200 yards down the road. To me it is a little extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by mckid4 View Post
    Im gonna fight the red light ticket because i believe i had nothing else to do but go through the intersection. And i didnt get a ticket for the license plate. For the reckles op ticket (which is 6 pts.) the cop said he started to follow me because i "turned to fast", he obviousley hasnt seen a supermoto before because you can lean the bike and scrape the pegs going 10 mph. He also put excess of 60+ in a 25 when he didnt clock me. Its easy to get goin over 60 while catching up to someone when you didnt start following him until he is 200 yards down the road. To me it is a little extreme.
    He doesn't have to clock you or pace you to guess your spead. I am guessing it is not his first day as a cop... Good luck fighting that one in court.
    Unless you spend alot of time in court or have a good lawyer have fun fightning the cops in court. They tend to be pretty good in court. They are paid to be there and usually do it more than we do.

A TOTAL difference from having fun, ridding hard AND to ridding stupid.

I have my ticket for "operating a motorcycle on one wheel"... I did not blame anyone but myself. The cop wasn't the nicest but I am not sure what his last call was or what type of other a-holes he has had to deal with already in the day... I remained calm and professional and he treated me fairly... I got what I deserved, a ticket. You divide the cost of the ticket over how many times you have not been caught... it all equals out.
    That is the price we pay to play. Quit blaming others for your breaking of the laws (sounds like numerous ones). Man up, take responsibility , and quit bitchen about geting caught for doing wrong.

rant over again...

2007 KTM 525 EXC - supermoto & dirt duty
    - - - Marchesini wheels, F2racing 'powerback', Scotts, KTM 320 rotor, SicAss rear, sliders, fan, & other KTM bits
    2000 Ducati 996
    - - - Marchesini magnesium wheels, Brembo radial masters, Termi C/F, FBF stage II, Nichols flywheel, Brembo lightweight rotors & R calipers, Alum. clutch, Goodridge, Ohlins, Techtronics elec. shifter... the list goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by my996duc1 View Post
    He doesn't have to clock you or pace you to guess your spead. I am guessing it is not his first day as a cop... Good luck fighting that one in court.
    Unless you spend alot of time in court or have a good lawyer have fun fightning the cops in court. They tend to be pretty good in court. They are paid to be there and usually do it more than we do.

A TOTAL difference from having fun, ridding hard AND to ridding stupid.

I have my ticket for "operating a motorcycle on one wheel"... I did not blame anyone but myself. The cop wasn't the nicest but I am not sure what his last call was or what type of other a-holes he has had to deal with already in the day... I remained calm and professional and he treated me fairly... I got what I deserved, a ticket. You divide the cost of the ticket over how many times you have not been caught... it all equals out.
    That is the price we pay to play. Quit blaming others for your breaking of the laws (sounds like numerous ones). Man up, take responsibility , and quit bitchen about geting caught for doing wrong.

rant over again...

+1

Just because you see a bunch of other bike with plates turned vertical doesn't make it legal.
    A police officer can pull you over if he "thinks" you going too fast and issue a ticket. Go to court and fight it, with out proof, i.e. pacing, radar, vascar, he can't determine your exact speed, so there is some wiggle room there.
    Take your lumps, but respectful in court, wear something nice and talk to the judge and officer about how maybe should still pay a small fine, but would like to go without points.

For the intersection...you need to use your head and eyes more in traffic. Don't rely on what you "thought" the other person was going to do. If the person in front of you was going so slow, then you shouldn't have entered the intersection at the yellow light behind them. You should have stopped, instead you tried to beat the light and you got caught.

Little Joe beat me to it.

Like the old saying parents use to say, if johnnie jumped off a bridge would you. Just because everyone has tags like that doesn't mean it's legal.

As for the intersection you should check your state law. It's against the law in some states to enter an intersection with out having enough room to go through the intersection.

You never want to give LEO an opening to pull you over to see what else they can find that's not up to code. I'm sure almost everyone of our bikes has a little something thats not according to the V.C. that LEO can wright you up for. Having a plate not mounted to the V.C. is the easiest way for LEO to have the chance to take a closer look-see at your bike and see what else he can write you up for. I just don't like leaving that opening for him to use.
    2000 XR650R-SM "Plated and barely street legal"
    Big Gun Exhaust w/FMF Hi-Flo Header
    Edelbrock pumper carb
    Excell wheels w/Avon Distanzias
    Trail Tech Vapor; 15/45 gearing

Quote Originally Posted by snomadd View Post
    You never want to give LEO an opening to pull you over to see what else they can find that's not up to code. I'm sure almost everyone of our bikes has a little something thats not according to the V.C. that LEO can wright you up for. Having a plate not mounted to the V.C. is the easiest way for LEO to have the chance to take a closer look-see at your bike and see what else he can write you up for. I just don't like leaving that opening for him to use.
    You make a valid point there sir. Tomorrow im gonna start on a new license plate mount. Any ideas?

If you are good working metal you can make a U bracket that will go from blinker to blinker and then bolt the plate to that. Kind of like this shape

[_______]

Make the bottom line approx an inch or two wide (top to bottom for the plate to bolt to) and the left and right side could be a half an inch thick. You could bring it tight to the exhaust, you don't have to worry about the exhaust heating up the plate or bracket due to everything being metal.

I thought of that but i think when the suspension compresses the tire will hit the plate. Ive jumped it before and hit the exhaust so when there is an extra 4 inches under the exhaust it will hit. Im 250 lbs so the bike sits low already, and when i go over bumps or jump something it will be very close.