SuperMoto Junkie banner

DRZ 400 Jet Kit question

34K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  pbansen 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying a new DRZ 400 and was looking online to see what would be the best jet kit to buy. The Yoshimura website says you only need to change out the main jet to a # 145, does this sound right? And if so how much should the jet kit cost me?

#3 ·
It all matters if you are cutting a 3x3 hole in the air box and if your adding a pipe. Check thumpertalk.com, they have tons of info on this. I have a 155mj, dynojet needle, 3x3, and stock pipe on mine. Your average altitude level plays a role too.

the dynojet kit is expensive but they give you a bunch of jets to try to get the correct jetting.

#7 ·
With a full aftermarket exhaust and 3x3, you will want to change both the pilot and main jet. Exactly what sizes will depend on your altitude.

Go to Thumpertalk.com. Eddie Cisneros there (aka Burned) is pretty much the guru of DRZ jetting, and if you don't find your answer with a Search (and believe me ... someone there has already asked it), Eddie can help you out.

#13 ·
I know that the moose kit is dynojet with both moose and dynojet emblems on the box. When I ordered my from a local guy I told him the DJ part number, he ordered it through Parts Unlimitted and when it arrived it said moose as well. If you get the SM kit (3110) here is what worked for me with the RS2:
25 pilot (bought seperate from the kit)
160 main
jet clip in 4th from top with all stock spacers.
Fuel screw 2.75 turns out.

#23 ·
Recomendations are just that. Recomendations. Start there and tune the bike. For some reason, my bike was way too lean at the recomended settings. I wound up going with a 27.5 pilot, 165 main, DJ needle on 5th clip, and the air screw 3 turns out. Runs much stronger everywhere and I have a nice brown plug.

#27 ·
The pilot jet does not affect idle. Idle is handled by the fuel/air screw. The pilot jet is for approximately the first 1/4 of throttle position, any amount of throttle at all up to 1/4 throttle or so. If the pilot is too small you get that sputtering lack of power feeling in the first quarter of throttle..then after you open it up, it goes away. Also you get the surging behavior at cruising speeds since cruising usually happens at 1/4 or less throttle. If you are experiencing that, then your pilot jet is too small. Its really not a guessing game. Certain settings are correct for certain elevations. Its pretty scientific actually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.