Thread: DRZ 400 Jet Kit question

Default DRZ 400 Jet Kit question

I'm looking at buying a new DRZ 400 and was looking online to see what would be the best jet kit to buy. The Yoshimura website says you only need to change out the main jet to a # 145, does this sound right? And if so how much should the jet kit cost me?

The dynojet kit was the thing when I did mine a few years ago. (S model) Call jessie at kientech and talk to him. He has all the right stuff and a great guy to deal with. Get his extended fuel screw and float boal screws as well.

http://kientech.com/

It all matters if you are cutting a 3x3 hole in the air box and if your adding a pipe. Check thumpertalk.com, they have tons of info on this. I have a 155mj, dynojet needle, 3x3, and stock pipe on mine. Your average altitude level plays a role too.

the dynojet kit is expensive but they give you a bunch of jets to try to get the correct jetting.
    07 RMZ 450 SM
    96 XR 600R SM
    03 CRF 150F SM

DRZ400 can come with 2 differant carbs depending on the model make sure you get the kit for the correct model.

Cool thanks. Yea I was planning on doing the 3x3 and the full rs-2 yosh, but just wasn't sure about the jetting. Thanks!

Get the jd jet kit. It comes with the 25 pilot jet, the dynojet kit does not. You will also want to order the allen head float bowl screws and an extended fuel screw for easy adjustment.

With a full aftermarket exhaust and 3x3, you will want to change both the pilot and main jet. Exactly what sizes will depend on your altitude.

Go to Thumpertalk.com. Eddie Cisneros there (aka Burned) is pretty much the guru of DRZ jetting, and if you don't find your answer with a Search (and believe me ... someone there has already asked it), Eddie can help you out.

Does anyone have a picture of where the 3x3 is to be cut in the airbox?

i can get a picture this weekend. But mines cut right at the top. From the rear up to the nipples for the computer.
    07 RMZ 450 SM
    96 XR 600R SM
    03 CRF 150F SM

Cool thanks man!

Here is a link to the master 3x3 mod thread at Thumpertalk. Everything you need to kow, plus pics, is in it.
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...ght=master+3x3

Cool thanks.

Anyone know anything about Moose Racing Jet kits?

I know that the moose kit is dynojet with both moose and dynojet emblems on the box. When I ordered my from a local guy I told him the DJ part number, he ordered it through Parts Unlimitted and when it arrived it said moose as well. If you get the SM kit (3110) here is what worked for me with the RS2:
    25 pilot (bought seperate from the kit)
    160 main
    jet clip in 4th from top with all stock spacers.
    Fuel screw 2.75 turns out.

FijiDickie.....Im glad you posted this, cause I was going to.

Ok so does anyone know when you cut the 3x3 is it partially covered by this electronic box that fits onto the two columns?

Quote Originally Posted by Fijidickie View Post
    Ok so does anyone know when you cut the 3x3 is it partially covered by this electronic box that fits onto the two columns?
    yes it is partially covered!

Ok so with the full yosh, the moose racing/dynojet kit, and the 3x3, what types of increases should I be getting?

some, not a ton, but its the least you can do to allow the bikes potential
    07 RMZ 450 SM
    96 XR 600R SM
    03 CRF 150F SM

uh oh, Dickie got a DRZ too !!!!

Ok so with the full yosh, the moose racing/dynojet kit, and the 3x3, what types of increases should I be getting?
    3-4 hp gain. If you get the moose racing/dynojet kit make sure you order a 25 pilot jet as it is not supplied. You may also want to order the hex head float bowl screws, you'll need them.

Cool thanks for the tip!

Use allen heads that you can get at the local hardware store. Those phillip/ diamond head bolts strip too easily.
    07 RMZ 450 SM
    96 XR 600R SM
    03 CRF 150F SM

Recomendations are just that. Recomendations. Start there and tune the bike. For some reason, my bike was way too lean at the recomended settings. I wound up going with a 27.5 pilot, 165 main, DJ needle on 5th clip, and the air screw 3 turns out. Runs much stronger everywhere and I have a nice brown plug.
    05 DRZ400SM- Yosh exhaust, dj, hotcams stg 1, 3x3, baja designs tail light, led mini stalks.

Cool, now someone explain to me why the pilot jet is so important to change? Sorry I'm kinda new at this...

The pilot jet will richen up the mixture at idle. The needle effects midrange (and a bit of top end) and the main jet is all top end.
    05 DRZ400SM- Yosh exhaust, dj, hotcams stg 1, 3x3, baja designs tail light, led mini stalks.

Ok so if you are not having any problems at idle, then don't worry about it?

The pilot jet does not affect idle. Idle is handled by the fuel/air screw. The pilot jet is for approximately the first 1/4 of throttle position, any amount of throttle at all up to 1/4 throttle or so. If the pilot is too small you get that sputtering lack of power feeling in the first quarter of throttle..then after you open it up, it goes away. Also you get the surging behavior at cruising speeds since cruising usually happens at 1/4 or less throttle. If you are experiencing that, then your pilot jet is too small. Its really not a guessing game. Certain settings are correct for certain elevations. Its pretty scientific actually.
    2007 DR-Z400SM - Black
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - Red

Doesn't pilot affect air screw adjustment?

It does, but you shouldnt use screw adjustment as a substitute for the correct sized pilot jet. Your biggest indicator of an improper pilot jet is surging at cruising speeds, because you might still be able to get it to idle properly with the screw turned all the way out (or in), but thats not leaving any room for adjustment and doesnt solve the problem of surging in the lower throttle range.

I guess i shouldn't have said the pilot doesnt affect idle, because it does in a way. What i meant was the fuel screw only affects idle, so if idle is your only problem and it performs well everywhere else in the throttle range then you should adjust the fuel screw. However if you are having problems with getting it to idle, or you have to turn the screw all the way out (or in) to get it to idle, you are likely having problems elsewhere in the throttle range too. But just because you can get it to idle doesnt mean its right. Gotta check all ranges of throttle position.
    2007 DR-Z400SM - Black

Do you know what pilot jet comes standard on the DRZ 400sm?

hi i just got a new fmf power bomb down pipe and Remus Revolution Titanium Exhaust end can, K&N and R&G tail light can any one tell me what jet to fit and is there anything i need thanks wayne

Do you know what pilot jet comes standard on the DRZ 400sm?

Okay, so I just installed a Yosh Pipe and 3x3 on my SM, along with a 150 jet, and adjusted the pilot screw out 1 1/2 turns, like the instructions say. Now, it does NOT like to idle.... Uhm... help?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
    Okay, so I just installed a Yosh Pipe and 3x3 on my SM, along with a 150 jet, and adjusted the pilot screw out 1 1/2 turns, like the instructions say. Now, it does NOT like to idle.... Uhm... help?

Dan
    What jet kit did you use? If you installed a full exhaust and did the 3x3 mod you will need a 25 pilot jet as well. The Dynojet kit doesn't come with it but the instructions should still say to get one and install it.

and for anyone else who bought a full exhaust and wants to do the 3x3 mod..just buy a jet kit. Its the easiest thing to do.
    2007 DR-Z400SM - Black

Quote Originally Posted by ObiWan View Post
    What jet kit did you use? If you installed a full exhaust and did the 3x3 mod you will need a 25 pilot jet as well. The Dynojet kit doesn't come with it but the instructions should still say to get one and install it.

and for anyone else who bought a full exhaust and wants to do the 3x3 mod..just buy a jet kit. Its the easiest thing to do.

Well, I didn't use a jet kit... I just followed the directions that came with the Yoh exhaust... It said to install a #145 jet, and turn the pilot screw out 1 1/2 times. Don't worry, just called and ordered a jet kit... guess I'll have to play with it a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
    Well, I didn't use a jet kit... I just followed the directions that came with the Yoh exhaust... It said to install a #145 jet, and turn the pilot screw out 1 1/2 times. Don't worry, just called and ordered a jet kit... guess I'll have to play with it a bit...

That would have worked if you hadn't done the 3x3 mod. Now that its done you'll need that kit you ordered. Gonna need a much bigger main and a bigger pilot plus you'll need to use the needle from the kit since the main jets in the kit will be alot bigger than stock.
    2007 DR-Z400SM - Black

I have an 06 DRZ400SM and I'm doing similar mods...3x3...dynojet with 25 pilot jet, full Yoshi RS-2....

I live in Phoenix (sea level, warm, dry) and people are recommending:
    160 main
    dynojet 3rd or 4th clip
    25 pilot
    2-2.75 turns out

I should have it put together in a week. I'll post the results.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]06 Suzuki DRZ400SM: Yellow, Yoshi, 3x3, jetted
    05 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, murdered out (black on black): 3" Rev Tech, 285s on 18" American Racing Teflon Mojaves, AFM intake, Gibson exhaust
    07 Suzuki LTR 450: White, Two Bros., cherry bomb

Yea the dyno jet kit I think says 3 turns out, but you are replacing the main and the needle... And the main I put on was a 155 I believe...

What clip position did you use, 3 or 4 from top?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]06 Suzuki DRZ400SM: Yellow, Yoshi, 3x3, jetted
    05 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, murdered out (black on black): 3" Rev Tech, 285s on 18" American Racing Teflon Mojaves, AFM intake, Gibson exhaust
    07 Suzuki LTR 450: White, Two Bros., cherry bomb

2 from the top

Default Burned is the man...

By far the easiest thing to do is go to the Thumpertalk forum and search the DR-Z400 threads for jetting information from Eddie Cisneros, aka "Burned".

Burned is the DR-Z tuning/jetting guru and whatever combination of exhaust and elevation you're dealing with, he's answered the question at least once.

Regarding jetting kits: yes, you can just go to your local dirtbike or snowmobile shop and buy only the jets you need. The main reason that people buy the Dynojet or JD kit is that the kits come with a replacement needle that has a different taper than the stock unit. I live and ride at about 6,000 feet, so I changed the needle and the pilot jet only - the stock main jet was actually what Burned recommended for my elevation, although it would be wicked lean at sea level. This is with the 3x3 mod and the stock exhaust system.
    Pete Bansen
    Truckee, California

'04 DR-Z400S
    '04 R1150GS Adventure