Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DRZ400SM or a DR650 with 17" wheels & tires?

Default DRZ400SM or a DR650 with 17" wheels & tires?

Which would be more fun on the street? I would get the 17" wheels and tires for the 650. Both are the same $ relatively. I weigh 250 and am 6' tall. I would buy brand new. Which would you do and why? Thanks for the opinions.

I have a DRZ and I would recommend the DR. At your size, I think the DR would be a better choice in terms of actual size and low end power. Additionally, from what I have heard, the 650 motor is both bulletproof and cheap & easy to maintain. Just my .02 though, you really can't go wtong either way.

Definately go for the 650. I have ridden both a lot and the 650 is a much better choice for bigger riders. 650 is not quite as buzzy on the road at highway speed and it is a lot more stable.

I would recommend to ride both and make your decision that way. If I remember correctly there is a 300# person riding a drz400 and he doesn't have a problem with it.
    03 EX500 w/ rearsets & clipons. Metzeler M3's.

?? EX500 race bike

05 KLX110 stock for now

Plans: Add manual clutch to the klx. Turn into mini-motard/MiniRR bike.
    Add some form of SM to the stable. Leaning towards used DR-Z or new Husqvarna.
    When I get good on a track with the EX move up to some form of 600 maybe.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 6'5" tall and about 225. We have a DRZ and it's a ton of fun but something bigger would be nice so I'm thinking DR w/17' rims. The local shop says they can build whatever I want, as far as wheels. I'm gonna go check 'em out tomorrow.
    "look at that big dude on that little motorcycle"

Thanks for the replies

Talking Dr650

Quote Originally Posted by us1ss
    Which would be more fun on the street? I would get the 17" wheels and tires for the 650. Both are the same $ relatively. I weigh 250 and am 6' tall. I would buy brand new. Which would you do and why? Thanks for the opinions.

The best way to go!

Regards Aussie

Seriously considering the 650 but what width wheels and what tire sizes fit on the DR650? Thanks

400 works fine for me....we are similar in size.

and you wouldnt have to do a damn thing to it.

Want somethin to cruise on the freeway at 100mph...neither of these bikes are a wise choice.

need something for fun...the 400 is fine.

Just because the # of cc's is higher doesn't mean its making more power. The 400 is lacking some in comparison to the race 450's, but the 650 isn't any better than the 400.
    Jim
    06 KTM 525EXC (Motard)
    07 Suzuki GSXR 1K (Black/Orange)
    07 Suzuki Hayabusa (All Black...)

I own both. I bought the 400 last summer. I built the 650 for my wife over the winter. The 650 is a much better street bike. Both bikes have virtually the same mods: open airbox, exhaust, rejet, stock carb, stock gearing.

My 650 will beat my 400 in a drag race, top end, and roll-ons at any speed. I will most likely pick up another 650 to convert next winter. I will give my 400 to my 17 year old son.
    I ride '06 DL650
    Wife rides '05 DL650

and you can't make the 650 put out 55-60hp either. Well atleast as reliably or easy.

?? EX500 race bike

05 KLX110 stock for now

i got on the freeway on my buddies 650 and was blown away. it was so smooth, and way lower rpm's than my 400, and that's with my 400 geared tall. THEN i realized i still had another gear to go. the 650 is "sport tourer" of motards. nice to ride a sm and not worry at all if you're taxing it. if you're going to do any regular freeway 650 for sure. as a screw around bike i'd go with the 400.

Quote Originally Posted by the_aussiedr650

The best way to go!

Regards Aussie
    I think I was just sold on the DR650 from that pic! What a NICE looking street tard!

Could you please post more details on the rims and tires? Looks like a/m rims laced into the stock hubs? 120 front and about a 150/160 rear?

What did you do for speedo recalibration?

Thanks.
    '96 Yamaha WR250
    '04 KTM 525 SMR
    '04 Yamaha YZ125
    '09 Honda XR650L

My girl friend want me to start riding with her on the street and I have been thinking about building a 650. The 650 should be readily available new from dealers at a great price since they didn't sell very well. Ask your dealer if they have any left overs. They are the same bike no matter what year. I am leaning towards the re branded Kawasaki KLX650 that was part of the Kawasaki/Suzuki swap.
    www.MotoHose.com
    Don't bring a gun to a snowball fight!

I own a 2002 DR650SE that is completely been modded for street use only - it is an excellent all-around motorcycle that is far more fun than I expected it to be. I also own two GSX-R's and more often than not I end up riding the 650 because it is just more fun and less risk to my license.

Although the 400 is appealing (especially in the factory SM config) the 650 motor is far superior in everyday street riding and feels far less stressed. The best deal out there is to pick up a slightly used DR650 and kick in a few bucks to make it a super capable street ride. That little 400 just feels like it is working WAY too hard at 65-75 mph whereas the 650 feels quite comfortable cruising at 75. The biggest advantage to the 400 is a wider selection of aftermarket parts.

The only big mod I have left to make is full-on 17" supermoto wheels. I am currently running the stock wheels with Dunlop D607 rubber (140 on the rear) and to be quite honest this set-up is amazingly capable and the bike handles awesome with great grip. I just mounted a new 2007 DR gas tank and Acerbis Teknic front fender plus Tag oversized 1-1/8" gold bars - as soon as I figure out how to post photos here I will share a few.

Quote Originally Posted by APE907
    I own a 2002 DR650SE that is completely been modded for street use only - it is an excellent all-around motorcycle that is far more fun than I expected it to be. I also own two GSX-R's and more often than not I end up riding the 650 because it is just more fun and less risk to my license.

Although the 400 is appealing (especially in the factory SM config) the 650 motor is far superior in everyday street riding and feels far less stressed. The best deal out there is to pick up a slightly used DR650 and kick in a few bucks to make it a super capable street ride. That little 400 just feels like it is working WAY too hard at 65-75 mph whereas the 650 feels quite comfortable cruising at 75. The biggest advantage to the 400 is a wider selection of aftermarket parts.

The only big mod I have left to make is full-on 17" supermoto wheels. I am currently running the stock wheels with Dunlop D607 rubber (140 on the rear) and to be quite honest this set-up is amazingly capable and the bike handles awesome with great grip. I just mounted a new 2007 DR gas tank and Acerbis Teknic front fender plus Tag oversized 1-1/8" gold bars - as soon as I figure out how to post photos here I will share a few.
    Yep, I've been looking at the DR650, XR650L and DRZ400SM for the longest time now.

I want a do all bike that can do some track days in SM mode (on larger tracks, not kart racks) and also some light off road use (fire roads), and be hiway capable.

It's looking like the DR650 in SM mode is the way to go. The XR650L is just too darned tall for me, although the a/m parts availability is good for this bike.

The DRZ400SM is nice, and VERY capable off road, but that engine is awefully busy at hiway speeds, which I will need to do to get to the fire roads, and twisties (ACH).

Plus, having a stock 3.2 gal tank on the DR650 is nice! That Aussie's bike is NICE, and basically all that I would do; rims, tires, bash plate, and hand guards.

A local dealer has them priced for $4899 OTD.
    '96 Yamaha WR250
    '04 KTM 525 SMR
    '04 Yamaha YZ125
    '09 Honda XR650L

What size tires are you guys running on the 650? Would a Dunlop 220 160/60ZR17 be too big? I'm going with that and a 120/70ZR17 on the front. With a little luck I should be a DR650/supermoto owner in about two weeks.
    "look at that big dude on that little motorcycle"

Man, I saw a NICE DRZ400SM today on the 101 and I'm all over the map AGAIN!

He was cruising at 75-80 and the bike sounded great with a nice a/m exhaust note!

This sure is tough, since I'm a dirt biker and really need a DP capable bike, I'm swinging toward the 400SM again.
    '96 Yamaha WR250
    '04 KTM 525 SMR
    '04 Yamaha YZ125
    '09 Honda XR650L

I can't possibly see why people think the 400 would be stressing on the highway. Your not pegging it at redline are you? If your trying to go 100 on the thing than ya. But regardless cruising at like 65-75 shouldn't really be taxing the engine. And it's like the most reliable engine ever...ok maybe not but it sure is reliable. If you ever want more power out of it you can throw some mods on it. Then again I just like having liquid cooled bikes. I like radiators...they keep things cool....haha.

?? EX500 race bike

05 KLX110 stock for now

I got a 40 tooth on the back of my 400 and it seems fine at 60-70.
    2013 WR450SM
    Best youtube channel EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    youtube.com/thegardensnake
    http://www.facebook.com/TheGardenSnake

Quote Originally Posted by bhd1223
    I can't possibly see why people think the 400 would be stressing on the highway. Your not pegging it at redline are you? If your trying to go 100 on the thing than ya. But regardless cruising at like 65-75 shouldn't really be taxing the engine. And it's like the most reliable engine ever...ok maybe not but it sure is reliable. If you ever want more power out of it you can throw some mods on it. Then again I just like having liquid cooled bikes. I like radiators...they keep things cool....haha.
    You're right, I've been doing the whole pro/con thing for a while now on the 400SM.

It's a cool looking bike, and I'm getting a test ride on a buddys 400SM this coming Friday.

I've always had a DP bike in my garage for many years; MT125, DT250, SP370, XL500 and finally an XT600.

I really do miss the whole DP and fire roading thing.
    '96 Yamaha WR250
    '04 KTM 525 SMR
    '04 Yamaha YZ125
    '09 Honda XR650L

just got back from a 100% highway ride...full tank..80ish miles or so.

bike cruises fine at 75-80mph....doesnt hit the limiter...and didnt explode.

sure it doesnt have THAT much more in it...but if you wanna do 80+ on the interstate...pick a different bike.

If it's that close of a toss, up pick which ever you can get a better deal on.

They also have make hubs for the 650 (iirc Motostrano carries them or ECW) now so you can keep your dirt set-up.

just took another long ride through the mountains this weekend on drzsm- then late for wifes family(dangerous) so i high tailed it back home on the superslab. the constant high speed doesn't bother the motor as much as the wind bothers the bike and rider.

Default Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by earl
    I think I was just sold on the DR650 from that pic! What a NICE looking street tard!

Could you please post more details on the rims and tires? Looks like a/m rims laced into the stock hubs? 120 front and about a 150/160 rear?

What did you do for speedo recalibration?

Thanks.
    The wheels are excels 4.25x 17 rear and a 3.50 x 17 front
    i bought a new suzuki front hub (Not that dear new) and had the rim laced to it and used my stock rear hub laced to the 4.25 and the guy that did the lacing swapped the spokes and his labour lacing it for the stock rear rim He had someone needing that size for a dirt track bike.I managed to then pick up a complete rear wheel from the breakers rl cheap. Speedo wise i went for an Acewell 3700 Fantastic unit! tyres 120/70 -17 front and a 150/70 - 17 rear but i could have fitted a 160.

Regards Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by the_aussiedr650
    The wheels are excels 4.25x 17 rear and a 3.50 x 17 front
    i bought a new suzuki front hub (Not that dear new) and had the rim laced to it and used my stock rear hub laced to the 4.25 and the guy that did the lacing swapped the spokes and his labour lacing it for the stock rear rim He had someone needing that size for a dirt track bike.I managed to then pick up a complete rear wheel from the breakers rl cheap. Speedo wise i went for an Acewell 3700 Fantastic unit! tyres 120/70 -17 front and a 150/70 - 17 rear but i could have fitted a 160.

Regards Aussie

Thanks, that's what I figured!

That's a seriously cool a/m speedo set up!
    '96 Yamaha WR250
    '04 KTM 525 SMR
    '04 Yamaha YZ125
    '09 Honda XR650L

I went with the TrailTech Lynx on my wife's DR650sm. It works perfectly.
    I ride '06 DL650
    Wife rides '05 DL650

Default dr 650

I have an 02 DR 650 converted to supermoto, Staintune pipe, carb jetted, airbox opened and a 07 Husky 610 SM. I did a track day recently and took both bikes. I ran most of the day on the Husky but took the Suzuki out for a 30 minute session. I was suprised that the Suzuki ran almost as fast as the Husky but was seriously lacking in the suspension department. With a little work on the suspension I believe the Suzuki would run very near the times the Husky would.

I'd take the liquid cooled 400 over the air cooled 650. The 650 does make a little more power stock but the 400 is more mod friendly and more exciting in my opinion.

I've had a 650 SM for a while and it has been both interesting to do and super fun for a longer time on the road. I have dropped 15kg of stuff from the bike and am running a set of DRZ250 forks and an DRZ400S rear shock amongst a host of other mods. Can't kill it.

Back off, go backwards!

I had a DR650
    I hated it
    i weight 150 lbs, and it was a pita to ride aggressively. I also had street tire son the 18s.

i sold it a while ago, but im jumping back in with the 400SM

I have an 04 DR650 with 50,000 kms on it and it has never let me down.Did the motard conversion myself on the cheap and have geared it for highway running.Its steady at high speed and the soft suspension is pretty well suited to our crap roads in Oz.The only thing I've found with DR's is the lack of aftermarket bits compared to DRZ's.My two cents worth.

I love my DR650!!!!

Thanks for all the input! i decided on the DRZ400SM, I bought a 2007 black one. I am going to put about a thousand miles on it then put carb, pipe, etc.. and hopefully it will be enough for loads of fun.

Thanks again, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by us1ss
    Thanks for all the input! i decided on the DRZ400SM, I bought a 2007 black one. I am going to put about a thousand miles on it then put carb, pipe, etc.. and hopefully it will be enough for loads of fun.

Thanks again, Mike
    As you say, DRZ400SM does a better job in SM riding.
    DR650 would do better in long journeys but I wouldn't say it would give you the wow-factor. When you hot it up, the DRZ400SM really barks and smoke most of the 400's. Besides, it's already a SM bike. Fully setup for SM riding. Have you seen the French DRZ-400SM ad? It's crazy, you have a fully stock bike but the bike can do most things that a track bike does without doing any mods.

Happy DRZ-400SM riding. Hope you get the mods soon.
    06 DRZ-400SM (Heavy Mods)
    06 Daytona 675 (Very little Mods )
    06 Focus CL (Very little Mods)
    666 -
    Don't know why, but I guess that's when my car and bikes are made.

Out of curiosity how does the fuel mileage compare on the DR650 vs the DR-ZSM?

?? EX500 race bike

05 KLX110 stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by bhd1223
    Out of curiosity how does the fuel mileage compare on the DR650 vs the DR-ZSM?
    My so-called 10L tank takes me around 160km before starting to choke and move to reserve. The bike has gone upto 180km before I got to the Petrol Station. The wierd thing is how much more can I travel with the reserve. And when I refuel, it only filled upto 8.5L. So my question is where did the 1.5L go or is there still 1.5L left in the reserve??
    06 DRZ-400SM (Heavy Mods)
    06 Daytona 675 (Very little Mods )
    06 Focus CL (Very little Mods)
    666 -
    Don't know why, but I guess that's when my car and bikes are made.

Default mpg dr650

I get about 30mi to a gallon in hard city driving.

I wouldnt have bought either should have gone for the 644 engined CCM
    or the 400 engined 404 CCM.
    Same engine only much better spec'ed WP forks and shock and Brembo brakes
    as standard.
    The 644 engine can be lightly modded by re-jetting to 150's and 27.5's
    removal of the airbox lid,K&N air filter,race can and junking the throttle valve lift gubbins.
    CCM 644 DS/R30 Hybrid : K+N RC2600 - GForce race can - Brisk Plugs - Beringer 4 pot brake - Dunlop Intermediate KR364 Tyres.

Dont you forget the torque man, the torque of the bigger bore!

Default my dr

my dr650:

Hey, twowheels,i just receive my rm250 fork today,awesome piece of steel. can t wait starting to install this beauty. I wonder about the caliper.did the stock dr 650 fit the lower fork or should i go all the way with rm stuff.

my dr650:
    That's a nice looking ride you have twowheel!

i just purchased a 08 drz400sm and can tell you it lacks bravado. i had to purchase a duc hyper 1100s for cruising, so its clear to say the 650 is a better choice.

Both great bikes! I think the DRZ is awesome if you mod it, but in stock trim I think I like the 650! DRZ seems like it has more available in terms of HP increasing mods that dont cost a ton. Also weighs quite a bit less!

the drz does weigh less but it carries it's weight much higher than a dr w/ 17's. you really notice it in the dirt.

The DRZ400 has a modern liquid cooled engine, built to rev and built to last. I think it and the 650 stock put out the same power and the 400 is lighter.

A good all around DRZ would be a DRZ400E converted to an SM (If you state allows the conversion for the street).

Or, you can add the E carb, header pipe, and cams to the S/SM motor (same motor) and have a much more powerful S/SM. Add a $590 Athena big bore kit and you have 440cc and way more power (and better cooling for the larger cylinder)... same reliability. Lot's of options with the 400.

I'm not sure how the 650 is on the highway but both my DRZ400 bikes (SM/E soon to be SM) get blown all over the place. They have no problem going fast, just too light for daily highway use... wears one out. I even have a windshield on both which helps greatly. Regardless, I take the back-roads to work (40 miles round trip every day) because they are wooded, twisty and sssoooo much fun on the DRZ.

I'm 6' tall 205lbs. If you will commute on the highway every day, I might say go with the heavier 650... but I've never ridden one.

Quote Originally Posted by RobotMachines
    The DRZ400 has a modern liquid cooled engine, built to rev and built to last. I think it and the 650 stock put out the same power and the 400 is lighter.

A good all around DRZ would be a DRZ400E converted to an SM (If you state allows the conversion for the street).

Or, you can add the E carb, header pipe, and cams to the S/SM motor (same motor) and have a much more powerful S/SM. Add a $590 Athena big bore kit and you have 440cc and way more power (and better cooling for the larger cylinder)... same reliability. Lot's of options with the 400.

I'm not sure how the 650 is on the highway but both my DRZ400 bikes (SM/E soon to be SM) get blown all over the place. They have no problem going fast, just too light for daily highway use... wears one out. I even have a windshield on both which helps greatly. Regardless, I take the back-roads to work (40 miles round trip every day) because they are wooded, twisty and sssoooo much fun on the DRZ.

I'm 6' tall 205lbs. If you will commute on the highway every day, I might say go with the heavier 650... but I've never ridden one.
    i think you're only looking at peak hp numbers. dr has more horsepower all over the place vs the drz. hooligan bike go drz, everything else the dr is a better call imho.

the air cooled dr engine will also outlast the drz liquid cooled.

i owned the drzsm, and my buddy had the dr w/ 17's. i got on the freeway on his bike and thought "this doesn't rev that bad", then i realized i had one more gear! freeway the dr destroys the drz.