Thread: CR500/02-03 CRF to 04 CRF conversions how to

Default CR500/02-03 CRF to 04 CRF conversions how to

Just got a bit of a 'How to' guide to convert between the different types of Honda's. I will post this on a few websites, as I was unable to find this info when I was trying to do this change over.

I started out with a 01 model, Street Legal CR500, and bought the supermoto wheels / brakes etc to bolt straight in - Using the 4.5 inch rear.

then I bought a 04 CRF250 and wanted to change the wheels and brake setup over to that.

Front wheel goes straight in except for the purchase of 1 spacer. I could have machined off about 5mm as the CR500 spacer is a bit too thick, but I just bought one to suit the CRF incase I have to go back to the other bike.

You can see here the difference in the mounting position on the Braking calipers that are a 1 piece casting.

I borrowed a CRF caliper for a few weeks while I waited for some parts to come in from USA (thanks for the loan Matt)

I bought this adaptor bracket from fast50's.com _ it is a great idea,and a great/well made item.

http://www.fast50s.com/cart/customer...&cat=82&page=1

I had to shave about 0.3mm off the caliper casting as it was just a little too think where the new bracket fitted. An 8mm mounting bolt does not come with the kit - just the bracket comes with the kit.

CR500 96-01 fork legs have the same caliper mounting pitch as CRF450 02 and 03 models. The CRF's changed in 04 to current model bikes.

The rear wheel I initially thought that there was no chance this would convert over. I emailed The local Talon people, and then Talon UK about suitability, and they didnt seem to know a hell of a lot about their own products - They were all too happy to sell me something brand new, but knew bugger all about conversions like I wanted to do.

You need to buy 2 rear spacers to suit the larger axle size to change over from the CR - The CR uses a 20mm axle. 02/03 CRF uses the 25mm axle, so the rear wheel goes straight in.

Thanks to Rick Gill Honda here in Perth for the loan of a complete rear wheel (the black one) while I was fiddling around with the conversion - This got the bike on the track when it needed to be.

The rear hub is going to need the center pulled out of it, and the center axle spreader removed, and replaced with a larger inside diameter unit.

The brakeside has 1 bearing, and the chain side has 2 bearings, so easier to remove the brakeside bearing, then the center sleeve

I didnt have the correct tool for the bearing removal, so butchered it getting it out - The replacement is a 6005 size (same in CR and CRF - all years)

Here is the center sleeve to suit the 20mm axle on the 500, where the bearing I.D. on CRF are 25mm. I had to replace this center sleeve with a Talon part which is a piece of aluminium tube about 32mm OD, with a 25 mm ID, and it is 98mm wide (have no pic of this sorry. Drop this new alloy sleeve in - Refit the 6005 bearing and thats it. The axle fits up the middle of the 3 bearings.

The rear brake disk holes are M8 on the 500, and M6 on the CRF hub. I am still running the smaller rear disk, instead of the 240. I'll buy a spare rear disk sometime, and drill out the mounting holes to fit the CR500 rear hub, but for now, the pads have enough purchase on the disk.

All done with the changeover

Thanks also to Pete for talking me into it
    Yes officer, it is a street legal CR500

www.supermotowa.com

Default Conversion

Hey Rob,

Awesome review on the hub change over. I have a street legal 1995 CR500 in California. I want to convert it in reverse of what you did. Can a rear CRF450 hub fit a 95 CR500. I would like to do this because I do some much with the bike when it comes to riding terrian. Dirt one day, sand the next, and super moto on the weekends. You can buy a complete CRF450 rear wheel for almost half the price of a talon hub on ebay. Any thoughts on this would be awesome. Thanks again....

Wheeliejones..

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    The rear wheel I initially thought that there was no chance this would convert over. I emailed The local Talon people, and then Talon UK about suitability, and they didnt seem to know a hell of a lot about their own products - They were all too happy to sell me something brand new, but knew bugger all about conversions like I wanted to do.
    This information is a little late, since you are already finished. I also found that the US Talon distributors knew bugger all about the conversion (I love that phrase - bugger all - and will say it all day at work today!) so I called the US importer for Talon and spoke to one of their tech guys. Here is the contact info for those still struggling with Talon conversions:

P.J. at FTM +1-760-732-3161 (www.ftmbiz.com) (US phone #, so add your prefix for US calling at the +). He was very helpful in finding the correct part for my conversion.
    2001 sv650s
    2005 crf250x supermoto
    RMS #99 - Highside Racing