Thread: 2005 CRF250X Conversion

Default 2005 CRF250X Conversion

Hey, I was thinking of converting my 2005 Honda CRF250X to a supermoto bike. But see, the thing is, I still want to be able to ride it at the trails sometimes (Goreman, Dry Lake Beds, Pismo Beach, Jawbone, etc. for those who know). So, what do you guys think? Maybe I should keep the suspension the way it came stock (it is pretty stiff for me already because I only weigh 105 pounds, and no, I am not some short kid, I'm 5'10")? Maybe I should get supermoto tires for the rims I already have? I don't want to put a whole lot of money into this thing, so any cheap solutions would be really helpful.

I think at first I will just try using DOT tires on my stock rims, just to see if I like it. Maybe then, if I like it enough, I will go and spend money on rims, spokes, a new front rotor, an extra rear stock rotor, and two new stock hubs so I can have two complete wheelsets to make switching back and forth easier.

And usually, how much does it cost for everything you need to make two sets of wheels?

It just occured to me that to make two complete wheelsets, I will also need a new rear sprocket...

Thanks in advance, Ben.
    2005 Honda CRF250X

Hi Ben, looking to do the exact same myself, i have the CRF250X-05 too, and have just bought some CBR400 rims that have been moded to fit an XR400, hopefully when i try to fit it should only be spacer issue, want to keep it as easy as possible to switch as i trail ride at the weekends and want the road wheels for a comfier ride when commuting plus the grin factor too!!

Wheel have arrived today so over the next few days ill have a go and keep you posted.
    Stu

Thanks!
    2005 Honda CRF250X

:( got it all wrong rims i think are cbr600 and front wheel has been fitted to xr600 offered them up to mine and the rear hub is way too wide never even bothered with the front:(

That's too bad.
    2005 Honda CRF250X

You will love SM'ing.....just beware, it will cost more to convert it than you think....maybe double..There are some awfully good deals on built SM's out there right now in the for sale section...

Howdy; I did it the cheap way on my XR400 and have been having a blast. You can get a set of IRC dual sport tires, and replace the brake fluid with high temp, and you are good to go. You will probably bend some rotors after a while, but it's all good. I've got 4 races on the stock set up and I've only had to replace the rear, but I think I was dragging it a bit to. You don't need to spend a ton to have fun, and some clubs have sportsman classes for unmoded bikes. I got the bug bad though and am currently shopping CRF's. Supermoto rules!

Well i got there in the end! Talon hubs morad rims still running standard brakes and off road gearing but im certainly having a blast!!!

For those interested in a street/track CRF250/450X. . .Here are two pics of my CRF250X's swap conversion to supermoto work-in-progress; I'm pre-fitting the front wheel/Brembo rotor/BRAKING caliper relocation bracket, marking the supermoto fork guards for trimming to allow tire/rim clearance, pre-fitted the Cycra Supermoto pro fender. I'll have to move the brakeline outboard of the fork guard. Lots to do still. . .I'll post pics as I progress with the project.

Preliminary supermoto conversion parts list:

Black Excel rims, 3.5 front/5 rear
    Black Talon Hubs
    Brembo Rotor with black carrier
    BRAKING Caliper Relocation Bracket
    Cycra Supermoto Pro Fender
    UFO Fork Guards trimmed for supermoto conversion
    Cycra Pro Bend Hand Guards
    Trail Tech Computer
    Acerbis Radiator Shrouds
    Micro Flush Mount Turn Signals mounted on hand guards and rear fender sides
    -Second set of hand guards and rear fender without signals for off roading
    47 tooth Renthal Rear Sprocket
    Shortened DID ERT Gold Chain
    Michelin Power Race Dual Compund Tires
    Baja Designs modified Dual Sport Conversion:
    -DRC OEM fitted brake/parking light combo
    -OEM headlight modified to work with Baja Designs kit
    Throttle Jockey Team Honda "Woody" graphics
    Custom rear fender graphics
    White Brother's E2
    Etc. etc.

In the mean time, I still take "X" bike out for heavy off roading while the supermoto parts come in.

Work-in-progress Supermoto Conversion:

Off Road Ready:

"My DIRT BIKE has slicks on it."

Quote Originally Posted by supamotoe View Post
    For those interested in a street/track CRF250/450X. . .Here are two pics of my CRF250X's swap conversion to supermoto work-in-progress; I'm pre-fitting the front wheel/Brembo rotor/BRAKING caliper relocation bracket, marking the supermoto fork guards for trimming to allow tire/rim clearance, pre-fitted the Cycra Supermoto pro fender. I'll have to move the brakeline outboard of the fork guard. Lots to do still. . .I'll post pics as I progress with the project.

Preliminary supermoto conversion parts list:

Black Excel rims, 3.5 front/5 rear
    Black Talon Hubs
    Brembo Rotor with black carrier
    BRAKING Caliper Relocation Bracket
    Cycra Supermoto Pro Fender
    UFO Fork Guards trimmed for supermoto conversion
    Cycra Pro Bend Hand Guards
    Trail Tech Computer
    Acerbis Radiator Shrouds
    Micro Flush Mount Turn Signals mounted on hand guards and rear fender sides
    -Second set of hand guards and rear fender without signals for off roading
    47 tooth Renthal Rear Sprocket
    Shortened DID ERT Gold Chain
    Michelin Power Race Dual Compund Tires
    Baja Designs modified Dual Sport Conversion:
    -DRC OEM fitted brake/parking light combo
    -OEM headlight modified to work with Baja Designs kit
    Throttle Jockey Team Honda "Woody" graphics
    Custom rear fender graphics
    White Brother's E2
    Etc. etc.

In the mean time, I still take "X" bike out for heavy off roading while the supermoto parts come in.

Work-in-progress Supermoto Conversion:

Off Road Ready:
    Can you tell me what tires you are running? They look like michelin PP. What size are you running in front and back? Thanks, I'm doing a 250x right now.