Thread: What Kind Of Oil Does A Cr250 Use

Default What Kind Of Oil Does A Cr250 Use

Does A 2001 Cr 250 Need And Special Oil Or Kind I Just Go To Kraigen And Buy It.

for what the gastank or the gearbox?

if for the gastank then a good name brand 2 stroke premix. Mixed at about 40:1

if for the gearbox there are several options. Lots of guys swear by using ATF is the gearbox, others use motor oil, and others use gear oil. I have had good experanice with ATF in the gearbox, and honda's gearbox oil looks, smells, and feels like ATF. However you can't go wrong with the manual suggests. Call your local honda dealer and ask them
    2007 KTM 990 SUPERMOTO
    2007 KTM 950 SUPERMOTO R

Absolute best two stroke premix for use in any bike is honda hp2 mixed at 32:1. Motowillis has it right for performance at 40:1 Heard of guys goin a lot leaner than that too, but you run the risk of lossing the top or bottom end for a minimal power gain.(plus 32:1 is easy just dump the 16 oz conatiner into 4 gallons of gas and youre done) Ive raced two strokes for 16 years experimented with amsoil, maxxima, yamalube etc...never found a better protecting, cleaner burning oil out there.
    Silence is golden... Duct tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by r6mace
    Absolute best two stroke premix for use in any bike is honda hp2 mixed at 32:1. Motowillis has it right for performance at 40:1 Heard of guys goin a lot leaner than that too, but you run the risk of lossing the top or bottom end for a minimal power gain.(plus 32:1 is easy just dump the 16 oz conatiner into 4 gallons of gas and youre done) Ive raced two strokes for 16 years experimented with amsoil, maxxima, yamalube etc...never found a better protecting, cleaner burning oil out there.
    I wouldn't go leaner than 40:1 on Honda's.
    Andrew - DarkSlide Racing
    2002 CRF450R - Street 'tard
    2004 TRX450R - MX/TT quad
    2003 TRX650 Rincon - Harescrambles quad
    1997 Chevy Silverado - Toy/Ass hauler

Studies show that more oil in the mix the better performance, these mixes are just harder to get the jetting correct. A lean mix just means your engine is starving for oil and wears out faster.

If you are planning on SM'ing this bike you should run closer to 24:1. SM puts higher loads on the engine when accelerating like sand does, and upon deceleration(longer period at peak rpm then offroad) the crank/piston can starve for oil. Both of these also add more heat and a greater chance of seizing a piston, so it is also advised to run jetting on the rich side. Plug reading should be on the brown side rather than the optimal tan.

Tricky bit that not a lot of people think about, changing premix ratio may necessitate a change in jetting!

On my cr500, I am currently mixing at 40:1, just because it is the middle ground in running between 32:1 and 50:1

I would like to be @ 50:1 with smokeless oil for street riding, but I will be only riding on the track this year, so it is not a priority.

Keith

i run motul trany oil in the gearbox and motul 800 line for the premix. i run 40:1 on thre premix, but must admit, it does spit a bit of oil out of the silencer. i refuse to run it leaner as i dont want to wear the motor. this is in a cr250 btw.

NOTE: OIL BRANDS & RATIO'S ARE ALWAYS A PERSONAL OPINIONATED SUBJECT!

2 stroke mixing oil: I have run Golden Spectro @ 50/1 for 25 years and have never repeate NEVER blown a motor! 60's-500's doesnt matter. Its not how much you dump in its how long the oil sticks to the metal surface it is protecting.

I have heard the old wives tale about making more power at ritcher ratios......dont you think the oil manufacturers would be all over this since they would in return sell more oil??? They dont. Its BS.

I like 80w Bel Ray gear saver in the trans. You will feel the difference with smoother shifting.
    www.MotoHose.com
    Don't bring a gun to a snowball fight!

Elf makes a nice two stroke only transmission oil

kww

Quote Originally Posted by keithwwalker
    Elf makes a nice two stroke only transmission oil

kww
    And cookies!
    www.MotoHose.com
    Don't bring a gun to a snowball fight!