SuperMoto Junkie banner

WR250X Spark Plug Removal?

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DdogWr250X 
#1 ·
OK, so I got the tank removed and can access the spark plug lead but I will be buggered if I can get the thing out of its hole. There isn't a lot of room to access to the top of the spark plug lead so I can only get a couple of fingers on it and that little fugger is in there TIGHT!

Anyone got any suggestions?

#3 · (Edited)
Don't know about this bike but my xr400 needed a special socket to take it out - cost like $20 from my local dealer I think.

edit: quick google found this. This guy mentions a spark plug socket 5/8" to get it out, then when installing put anti-seize on the threads and some dielectric grease on the ceramic bits http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t1443-spark-plug

Hope that helps a bit?

#4 ·
Not really. You missed the point in that I can't even get the spark plug cap off in order to get at the plug itself. That big plastic and rubber thing at the top of the head .... can't get that out. Pulled like a bastage but it is so tight can only get two fingers in there so it is difficult to really pull hard enough to dislodge the plug cap.

#5 ·
I haven't personally tried it, but there is a small hole in the side of the head that you can put an air compressor into and blow some air into. That is supposed to break the seal that the coil forms. Or just wiggle, with a twisting and pulling motion.

#6 ·
there is no trick to it. you twist it, back and forth, and pull up on it. Trust me some of these are a pain in the ass. It will come out, when reinstalling it, use dialectic grease on the inside socket. The rubber/silicone bits, makes it a lot easier next time around.

once the coil is out, use a compressed air in the hole on the head to blow out any debris/dirt, before you remove plug.

anti seize is a good idea, just don't over do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.