SuperMoto Junkie banner

Can't seem to get the front up wr450...

10K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  n9ne1 
#1 ·
The only time I can it seems is cracking the throttle in first, otherwise I can just get it to barely get above the ground in 2nd and 3rd clutching it up(or rather trying to). How in the hell do I fix this?

#3 ·
Yeah de-restricted and gray wire mode done. 14/42 gearing as well... I have successfully wheelied a few things including everything from a r1 to a banshee using both power and clutching them up. I can't figure out what the hell I'm messing up.

#7 ·
I can clutch up in 4th with a bounce. 3rd I usually do them at low rpm so I can ride it out, same with 2nd. But as far as a range, I'd say between 2500-4000 rpm.

#8 ·
I clutch mine in 3rd at low rpm no problem. and would say I pull up slightly at the same time as clutching then change into 4th sometimes 5th if the roads long enough lol jus keep trying more you try more you will understand the bike i was exacly the same when i first got mine wouldn't seem to come up but the more i tried easy it got. then i got the hang off using the back brake. then it was time for gear changing and now it feels like theirs nothing too it. once you learn you don't forgot keep trying good luck. these bikes are wheelie machines.

#15 ·
you would know if clutch was slipping. I doubt it would be that as these bikes are built well strong engine I would say. I got mine on 4000miles now its on 6500 my clutch has been abused and its still going strong. lol try positioning yourself further back on the seat. and have you only just got this bike because I was exactly the same when I first got mine couldn't get it to come up and after I kept trying and trying it just got easier and easier now it comes up anytime without fail. also try getting the timing of the clutch drop and pull up on bars identical.

#20 ·
Hmmm. I'm really not sure what's going on here. A WR450 with YZ cams and you're struggling to wheelie? Something doesn't smell right here to me. That thing should wheelie without you even wanting it to in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears.

I've posted this before but here are my instructions, just in case your technique is wrong. But I'd say your bike is running like a dog if it won't wheelie at all.

1. First or second gear. I'd say 2nd cos on a thumper first is a bit too violent and short.
2. Two fingers on the clutch rest of em holding on to the bar
3. Roll along Nice and slow. revs constant around 2k. Sitting straight up, arms relaxed.
4. Crack the throttle to halfway in a quick but smooth motion. Count off one half second.
5. Pull the clutch in real quick, just enough to slip it. Not as much as you'd use to gear change. And this is important. It is a momentary pull. You do not want the revs climbing much at all. And release. To visualise the clutch pull. Hold your left hand out in front of you, first 2 fingers extended. Like you are holding onto your bike. Now bend those fingers to the 90 degree point and straighten them as fast as you can. That's the clutch action. In-out. Don't let it flick out. You LET it out, but quickly.
6. If it doesn't wheelie. Roll a little faster than before. Keep everything else constant.
7. Once the wheel lifts you have half your throttle left to lift higher and ride it out.

That clutch pull in and release is really very small. If you're holding in the clutch too long a few things can happen. - a) It'll loop - b) The rear will spin up - c) nothing, as the revs have risen above the max torque line.

You shouldn't have to pull back on the bars in a low gear. Only once you get to doing standups and higher gear wheelies do you need to worry about pulling up on the bars.

#22 ·
It shouldn't matter. I'm 220lbs and my 2012 WR450 (no yz components) will wheelie no question. Third gear seems to be the sweet spot for mine. Low Rpm's, slip the clutch while rolling on the throttle, and you get a nice slow rising easy to control wheelie all the way to the balance point, at which point you can do whatever you want with it.

#26 ·
that is unusual i have an old ass 98 wr400 and second gear roll on it will come up way too quick for someone who doesnt know how to wheelie like myself and my suspension is set up for someone about 100lbs heaver than me now my gearing is 14-45 but im still on dual sport rims so it about the same as yours. yeah the only things i can think are maybe mechanical issues like maybe the jetting is off creating a flat spot in your powerband or possibly a slipping clutch. and im sure you know but working at a motorcycle shop i see it every day but your clutch lever should have about 1/4" free play before it starts to disengage the clutch.

#32 ·
I don't know about 3rd but my wrist has limited range from a highspeed jetski crash that I was in. I just needed to adjust my hand on the bars as I was essentially limited to a half throttle twist so I was technically only cracking the throttle less that a 1/3 open. Feels like it comes up pretty damn quick with the clutch in 2nd now haha.

#34 ·
A little update for those who give a shit. I got it down decently now where even accelerating hard the front is coming up pretty high and I can ride them out accelerating. Had an o-shit moment today when doing this as it came up in second, dropped almost to the ground and when I shifted 3rd it was right back up through 3rd!!! Felt pretty good and I didn't realize quite what happened until a little later...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.