Thread: Akrapovic or FMF??

Default Akrapovic or FMF??

hey guys. i have a ktm 500 EXC that i want to get an exhaust system for. ive been doing a little bit of research and am stuck between the FMF 4.1 with the megabomb header and the Akrapovic exhaust system. ive heard that the FMF has a better low to mid range. any tips or suggestions will help. thanks!
    -DEV

Which one sounds better? I know akrapovics tend sound awesome, thats how I would judge it. I mean its not like you have to listen to it everytime you ride or anything .
    Bikes -
    2000 TTR 125 - Sold
    2003 Yz 125 - Sold
    2001 DR Z400E - Sold
    2009 SM450R - Worth every penny

Quote Originally Posted by motorg525 View Post
    Which one sounds better? I know akrapovics tend sound awesome, thats how I would judge it. I mean its not like you have to listen to it everytime you ride or anything .
    thanks for the reply. its not just about the sound for me though its more about the performance

Well the power is going to come from the JD tuner, an exhaust without a retune wont yield you any gains. Also after years of buying exhausts for multitudes of vehicles I can tell you the power comes with the headers and not the can (muffler)
    Bikes -
    2000 TTR 125 - Sold
    2003 Yz 125 - Sold
    2001 DR Z400E - Sold

Well the power is going to come from the JD tuner, an exhaust without a retune wont yield you any gains. Also after years of buying exhausts for multitudes of vehicles I can tell you the power comes with the headers and not the can (muffler)
    hmm okay so the JD tuner is definitely on my wishlist. if i do decide to go with an aftermarket header is it wise to get a stronger piston? i could imagine that it puts a lot more stress on the factory piston.

Youll only cause extra stress to the piston if you dont use a JD tuner and run the bike lean. If its tuned for the exhaust it will be fine, unless the 500exc has a weak piston that I dont know about?
    Bikes -
    2000 TTR 125 - Sold
    2003 Yz 125 - Sold
    2001 DR Z400E - Sold

Youll only cause extra stress to the piston if you dont use a JD tuner and run the bike lean. If its tuned for the exhaust it will be fine, unless the 500exc has a weak piston that I dont know about?
    thanks for the help man!!