Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 486

Thread: Got my 2012 WR450 Supermoto project today. PICS

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default Got my 2012 WR450 Supermoto project today. PICS

    Guess I'll be the first one to pull the trigger.

    0 miles. Will never see dirt->>




    Where it belongs...In the back of my truck!
    Last edited by Armenian; 07-27-2012 at 04:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    On order today:
    Black Excel Hoops on Gold Talon hubs (17x3.5 and 17x5)<--I hope these fit!
    Conti SM Attack Tires/tubes Front: 120/70/17 Rear: 150/60R17
    Braking 320mm wavy rotor and caliper adapter.
    Acerbis Supermoto front fender

    Need to figure out what im going to do with gearing and chain guide. Maybe 14/47? Gonna go with a DRC Edge LED taillight as well. Also need to figure out how to modify the throttle because it feels like it has an oem stopper in there or something. Was also kind of difficult to initially electric start. Maybe because it's new? It kickstarted VERY easy.
    Last edited by Armenian; 07-29-2012 at 10:01 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armenian View Post
    On order today:
    Black Excel Hoops on Gold Talon hubs (17x3.5 and 17x5)<--I hope these fit!
    Conti SM Attack Tires/tubes
    Braking 320mm wavy rotor and caliper adapter.
    Acerbis Supermoto front fender

    Need to figure out what im going to do with gearing and chain guide. Maybe 14/47? Gonna go with a DRC Edge LED taillight as well. Also need to figure out how to modify the throttle because it feels like it has an oem stopper in there or something. Was also kind of difficult to initially electric start. Maybe because it's new? It kickstarted VERY easy.
    Why are you gonna change the tail light?
    There should be a GYT-R de restriction kit for the throttle. Should just be a YZ stop.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crash279 View Post
    Why are you gonna change the tail light?
    There should be a GYT-R de restriction kit for the throttle. Should just be a YZ stop.
    I like the DRC Edge LED setup with the license plate light and plate mount. I'll have to find that yz kit asap lol

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    victoria, TEXAS
    Posts
    3,426

    Default

    Yes. They have a throttle stop. The old models did too. Id be pulling that apart figuring out how to cut it down or whatever before I even rode it.
    09 WR250X
    08 SM450R

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WRsteveX View Post
    Yes. They have a throttle stop. The old models did too. Id be pulling that apart figuring out how to cut it down or whatever before I even rode it.
    is that supposed to be inside the throttle tube or down by the throttle body? I'm gonna start ripping this thing apart soon, maybe not tonight though. been a long ass day at the dealer getting things squared away on my part order lol

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armenian View Post
    is that supposed to be inside the throttle tube or down by the throttle body? I'm gonna start ripping this thing apart soon, maybe not tonight though. been a long ass day at the dealer getting things squared away on my part order lol
    It'll be on the throttle body. Should be an allen screw and be on the righthand side.

    What are you gonna do for a speedometer?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crash279 View Post
    It'll be on the throttle body. Should be an allen screw and be on the righthand side.

    What are you gonna do for a speedometer?
    no plans for a speedo yet...its not required for state inspection so im not too concerned about it at the moment.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Also, 14/47 is gonna keep the revs a bit high. I'd go down to at least a 14/44 or 14/42.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crash279 View Post
    Also, 14/47 is gonna keep the revs a bit high. I'd go down to at least a 14/44 or 14/42.
    yea that looks good. im using the gearing calculator to look at the speeds/rpms with the different gearing setups. 14/42 looks good. Assuming the majority of the riding in-town and on twisties is 45-65mph, 4th gear will handle it nicely.

    http://www.gearingcommander.com/

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Looks like I need to pick up a T27 Security Torx key to remove the throttle stop. I wonder why Yamaha put a security bolt in there GYTR Competition Programmable ECU is $100 too. That might have to become a priority. MAYBE. LOL

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armenian View Post
    Looks like I need to pick up a T27 Security Torx key to remove the throttle stop. I wonder why Yamaha put a security bolt in there GYTR Competition Programmable ECU is $100 too. That might have to become a priority. MAYBE. LOL
    You'll definitely need one (programmer). You'll also need to look into ditching the stock exhaust.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    victoria, TEXAS
    Posts
    3,426

    Default

    There's a magazine right here on my coffee table that has an article on the 12 WR. Supposedly that CPU and an aftermarket exhaust add 4hp.
    09 WR250X
    08 SM450R

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    sweet I like that fmf powercore. the handheld tuner looks like fun too. im a big electronics nerd haha

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    oh, fyi, these are the wheels im waiting on:
    Thank you jivenene for the inspirational link http://www.motocorse.com/pd_main.php...F2012+YZF450SM


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Are you guys using any particular type of chain guide on these WR's...I think I will be okay with my 17x5 rear but I don't want any 'oops' moments. I am looking at this site for protection: http://www.tmdesignworks.com

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armenian View Post
    Are you guys using any particular type of chain guide on these WR's...I think I will be okay with my 17x5 rear but I don't want any 'oops' moments. I am looking at this site for protection: http://www.tmdesignworks.com
    Look for a graves chain block

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Ordered the GYTR Competition Kit/Programmable ECU w/YZ Throttle Screw today. Time to start getting the electrics lined out before the wheels come in!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armenian View Post
    Ordered the GYTR Competition Kit/Programmable ECU w/YZ Throttle Screw today. Time to start getting the electrics lined out before the wheels come in!
    That'll only be about $50-60... very simple to do.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crash279 View Post
    That'll only be about $50-60... very simple to do.
    Was more like 99.95 but still not bad.

    Sometime in the future ill have to get the power tuner. Thats 279.95.
    Last edited by Armenian; 07-28-2012 at 05:12 PM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armenian View Post
    Was more like 99.95 but still not bad.

    Sometime in the future ill have to get the power tuner. Thats 279.95.
    Dude if you spend that much you're getting ripped off

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crash279 View Post
    Dude if you spend that much you're getting ripped off
    How is 99.95 getting ripped off? Saving 5-10 dollars is no big deal to me. I'm not a cheapskate. For the most part.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armenian View Post
    How is 99.95 getting ripped off? Saving 5-10 dollars is no big deal to me. I'm not a cheapskate. For the most part.
    Only if that price includes installation

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    England (it's raining)
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armenian View Post
    On order today:
    Black Excel Hoops on Gold Talon hubs (17x3.5 and 17x5)<--I hope these fit!
    Conti SM Attack Tires/tubes
    Braking 320mm wavy rotor and caliper adapter.
    Acerbis Supermoto front fender

    Need to figure out what im going to do with gearing and chain guide. Maybe 14/47? Gonna go with a DRC Edge LED taillight as well. Also need to figure out how to modify the throttle because it feels like it has an oem stopper in there or something. Was also kind of difficult to initially electric start. Maybe because it's new? It kickstarted VERY easy.
    Gonna be following this thread very closely, got my new WR450F on order for around September. You can't get them in the UK at the moment as they are all sold out, keep us posted with updates & photos please Armenian!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    97

    Default

    I am tempted to upgrade to the new wr450 injected model so I will be watching this thread

    I am a yamaha fan but the new injected KTM 450 and 500 seem to be better value ( eg 6 speed and bigger fuel tanks for a start as well as about 9kg lighter ) and have a greater plethora after market bits etc for them
    Last edited by RHOK; 07-29-2012 at 05:39 AM.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    2,621

    Default

    Sweet Bike -
    throttle stop is weird had never seen that before -
    shortened my kick stand 2 inches to give better lean with 17s -

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GROOVY2 View Post
    Sweet Bike -
    throttle stop is weird had never seen that before -
    shortened my kick stand 2 inches to give better lean with 17s -
    Yea I'll have to do the same. probably just hack 2 inches off the stocker.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armenian View Post
    Will never see dirt
    Not even on 17s? At first I hated the look of these bikes by they are start to grow on me for sure. Subbed for sure. Congrats on a new bike. I can't wait for that feeling of buying a brand new DIRT bike and ditching its OEM wheels.
    '06 YZ250 (dirt)
    '01 WR426f (tard)
    '75 Z1B (cafe/fighter)

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    First mod is officially Complete. Removed the stupid throttle stop screw, but not without many random expletive's and tools being flung across the garage LOL. Yamaha REEEALLY doesn't want us to take this screw out.



    Pulling everything apart in prep for wiring. Horn is ready to mount-used a spare one i had laying around from a 636. Once thats done, I'll probably start yanking the wheels off. Love how easy this thing is to work on!


  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    England (it's raining)
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Where exactley was the throttle stop screw? Is this something just on the US bikes or is it fitted to all of them?

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WHIZZER View Post
    Where exactley was the throttle stop screw? Is this something just on the US bikes or is it fitted to all of them?
    Bottom of the throttle body. The GYTR Competition ECU comes with the YZ screw that goes in its place. I believe some of the guys on thumpertalk used shorter screws from
    ACE hardware and such.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    victoria, TEXAS
    Posts
    3,426

    Default

    I think on the old models, people were pulling the screws out, cutting them, and putting them back in.
    09 WR250X
    08 SM450R

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WHIZZER View Post
    Where exactley was the throttle stop screw? Is this something just on the US bikes or is it fitted to all of them?
    Should just be in the US version. We have some serious tree huggers over here that try and ruin all the fun for us normal red blooded Americans.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    bike looks awesome man, i want one soooo bad, not sure when im gonna pull the trigger but hopefully before spring ill own one. and these deff aren't 636's man soo much easier to work on everything on um. this bike will be the ultimate stunt and playbike. many pictures as you build and as much info as possible. im sure a lot of people are going to be building these here pretty soon.
    Stubbz 08 WR250X Stunt Build Thread

    http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...0X-Stunt-Build

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Looks good, can't wait to see it with it's road shoes on.
    Current: DRZ 400 SM
    Past: KTM 525 EXC, KTM 690 SMC, DRZ 400 SM

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Hmm. Interesting to see Yamaha had zero intentions on using a new frame. Why the hell wouldn't they use the existing subframe mount location?

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I'm an Ohio Boy
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Glad to see i'm not the only crazy one to buy a new WR, (even though mine is a leftover 11). welcome to the Dirt bike that has never seen dirt club.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    240

    Default

    That bike is going to look dead sexy when your're done. Will be keeping and eye on this thread.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Looks like the Gold Talon hubs are out of stock. It will be a 3 week wait which is perfectly fine with me. Doesn't look like we're going to be below 100F+ all week anyways

    Ordered the sprockets (Steel front and back 14/44), DS Handlebar switch for my horn and headlights, and DRC Edge LED taillight/plate mount.

    Removed Speedo Meter, plastics, tank, front sprocket and chain tonight. Mounted and wired up the horn. Ran all of the wiring for the front brake switch. Ran 14AWG Industrial wiring thru long high temp shrink tubing (bought from Fry's for $1.75ea) throughout the bike so everything looks 99% stock and clean.

    There was a notched section on the front portion of the frame with threads and everything not being used by anything. Mounted the horn here perfectly. Plenty of clearance from the front tire. Seems like this bike was intentionally engineered from the factory to be made street legal!
    Last edited by Armenian; 07-30-2012 at 10:06 PM.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armenian View Post
    Seems like this bike was intentionally engineered from the factory to be made street legal!
    They ARE street legal in other parts of the world. You'll probably notice other clues when you start wiring things up.

    Last edited by crash279; 07-30-2012 at 10:18 PM.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    if yamaha were smart theyd just release this thing over here ready to hit the streets like a wr450x but i know im just dreaming.
    Stubbz 08 WR250X Stunt Build Thread

    http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...0X-Stunt-Build

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida, United States
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbz View Post
    if yamaha were smart theyd just release this thing over here ready to hit the streets like a wr450x but i know im just dreaming.
    It would save all of us a lot of a hassle, wouldn't it? Looking at one later this year to convert, but not too keen on the plastics. Anyone making black plastics for these things yet?

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VitaBrevis View Post
    It would save all of us a lot of a hassle, wouldn't it? Looking at one later this year to convert, but not too keen on the plastics. Anyone making black plastics for these things yet?
    They're really not that hard/expensive to convert. I have it down to $60 to make one street legal. The only hitch is that they're not titled as street legal. All of my titles don't have anything about "off-road use only" and all of the guys that have WR's around here have walked into the title/registration office have all walked out with a lisence plate.

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    that should be the easiest part really, the hardest part is the $1000 or better you need in in rims, tires, break setup etc. seperate from the 8gs for the bike new.
    Stubbz 08 WR250X Stunt Build Thread

    http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...0X-Stunt-Build

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I'm an Ohio Boy
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbz View Post
    that should be the easiest part really, the hardest part is the $1000 or better you need in in rims, tires, break setup etc. seperate from the 8gs for the bike new.
    Yuppppp.

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbz View Post
    that should be the easiest part really, the hardest part is the $1000 or better you need in in rims, tires, break setup etc. seperate from the 8gs for the bike new.
    $100 for stock hubs
    $80 for powdercoat
    $300 for rims
    $197 for new tires
    $150 for brake rotor
    $27 for sprocket

    Should have gotten warp 9's cause they would have been even cheaper.

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Parts are starting to come in. DRC Edge LED taillight/Platelight/Plate mount. Nothing really fancy here. The plate bracket is too small for our motorcycle plate, but thats nothing a strip of aluminum wont fix. My plan was for a clean looking tail without having to drill holes in the Blue OEM plastic. I used all OEM mounts underneath the tail and they worked perfect and solid. All of the wiring is complete, now I'm just waiting for the parts.




  48. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crash279 View Post
    Should have gotten warp 9's cause they would have been even cheaper.
    Um yea I think I'll keep the Chinese crap off my build. Wheels are the last thing I would go cheap on. EXCEL/TALON

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lakeside, Texas, United States
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armenian View Post
    Um yea I think I'll keep the Chinese crap off my build. Wheels are the last thing I would go cheap on. EXCEL/TALON
    For street use they're not bad. Kevin does a pretty good job at checking for quality.

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crash279 View Post
    For street use they're not bad. Kevin does a pretty good job at checking for quality.
    I'm sure they are not bad. Not my cup of tea though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •