SuperMoto Junkie banner

09 WR450 Build. Project "Keeper"

97K views 235 replies 46 participants last post by  Raytard 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought a '09 WR450 a few weeks ago, which was just what I needed. Not sure just how far into it I'm gonna go and not sure what additional parts will be donated from my other bikes, but I'll get some pictures of the bike and a picture of the bike that I'm using as inspiration. Some are on my phone and some are on my work computer, so I'll get them up ASAP. For those of you that want to see rediculous graphics and lots of trinkets then this build will most likely bore you.

My overall goal/vision is to keep the bike as stock appearing as possible...aside from the pink grips. I have stock powdercoated hubs that I'm going to lace to 17's in order to retain the stock speedometer assembly. The bike was already set up as a dual sport and was street legal when I bought it, so that legwork is done. Anyway, I'll get to the pictures...

Installed a keyed ignition for a little piece of mind...

The garage...

My inspiration:

See less See more
#5 ·
Actually it's called Translucent Candy Blue, but you can call it whatever you like.

WR/YZ450's look so damn good stock! That brake rotor looks familiar.
They're a solid bike for sure! Thanks again for the brake. It went to a good yet abusive home.

The disc looks like a warp 9 non floating.
I think it is, but the Warp 9 hubs have a weird bolt pattern so I'm not sure. Wish I could find a matching rear rotor.

#16 ·
http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm

That place has everything you need. There are two options. One wires in to your kill switch and the other wires into both the ignition switch and the kill switch. The first one is about $20 and the other is around $40. The bracket is included with the ignition.

#22 ·
Got the wheels trued and some new wheel hardware. Still waiting on a rear rotor to get here. Now I just need some Pilots and some time to mount them. I've been looking at stock YZ exhausts vs. a FMF slip-on. There are two different style YZ systems that fit: the 06-07 and the 08-09. The 08-09 is a shorty style and looks awesome, but apparently will cost some power. I have a Hotcams exhaust cam, so I'm not sure if that will compensate or not. Certainly it would be better than the stock exhaust regardless. Anybody have an opinion either way?

#23 ·
As I understand the 08-09 is a fair bit louder. It does look much better though. Didn't know about the power.

I'm in the same boat, imo it's not worth it for the 07 yz, looks too close to the wr pipe but louder. IMO FMF or 09 yz pipe.

#36 ·
160-17 on the rear. I'll either run a tubeless set up from a KTM 690 or a Husaberg 570. I think they're the same though. Will convert when I check the spokes next. I run 160's on my others, so this one will most likely require either a non o-ring chain or a little more offset.

#42 · (Edited)

Got the wheels on and clearance on the front. Took a spacer on the right hand fork guard and had to cut a little on the left.

According to my measurements a non o-ring chain should barely clear the rear tire. I'll have to get a chain guide for extra insurance though.

Up next it'll be time to tear into the engine.

#48 ·
I should hopefully clear around 2mm. The conti should fit pretty good, but they're gonna wear quickly. However, they'll stick like glue in the meantime. The Michelins are just the regular Pilot Powers, nothing special.

Wow that is purty darn close to your swing arm there jeff!
??? I have plenty of swingarm clearance. The only thing in question is the chain clearance on the tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.