Thread: Ktm 690 smc r 2012

Default Ktm 690 smc r 2012

Hi ya all.

I've recently bought a brand new 690 SMC R, and last monday my new akrapovic exhaust and evo intake box arrived.

I've mounted the exhaust and intake, but the guy at the local ktm dealership havent time to change the mapping of the bike until next week. (And I'm leaving to go offshore tuesday next week :-( )

Is it dangerous for me to ride the bike without the mappings? - Or should I wait to ride it at all until the correct mappings are in place?

Answers appreciated.

Regards,
    Tore from Norway
    06 Yamaha DTX 125
    07 KTM 525 EXC factory
    12 KTM 690 SMC R

You should really wait until the new mapping is installed, the bike just won't perform like you're hoping it's going to with the mods and improper mapping. I would switch it back to stock pipe and air-box if you REALLY need to ride before you leave (which I'm sure you do!). Then switch it back to new pipe and box before you leave and put it in the shop. Are you dropping it off then leaving and having someone pick it up for you while your off-shore?
    2009 KTM 690 SMC
    1986 Yamaha Radian YX600 (Sold)
    1986 Yamaha DT200 (Sold)

All right!

Yes, I'm going to wait. And the guy from the dealership haven't called me back either.

The first time I met up in person, and they would call me back about the price and time. No call back, so I called again, and they said they will call me back about a time for the mapping (And they wanted 2500 NOK for doing the mapping! That's about 420 USD)

So I got sick of the bad service, and ordered myself an original KTM EFI communications tool, and I'll do the mapping myself. (got two weeks at sea to do the homework, hah)

And I guess it will go OK, afterall I work as an instrument tech, and calibration and adjusting is all I do :p
    06 Yamaha DTX 125
    07 KTM 525 EXC factory
    12 KTM 690 SMC R

$420????? Does that include a bj from a gorgeous Norwegian model as you wait? What a scam, the cable is the best way to go anyway, I bought one because it was about the price it would cost me to get it done at a dealer, if not cheaper. As it turns out the PO already had the map on, but it's nice to make sure I suppose.
    Current: DRZ 400 SM
    Past: KTM 525 EXC, KTM 690 SMC, DRZ 400 SM

Hah, it sure would seem that way. He also wanted around 490 USD for the 1000 KM service. What do they do at that service anyways? - Read out error codes, change the oil and check some bolts?

So yeah, he should have hired a couple of blowjob models I guess. hah
    06 Yamaha DTX 125
    07 KTM 525 EXC factory
    12 KTM 690 SMC R

Just oil + filters as far as I know. I paid £150 ($233) for my 690's second service (oil + filter) which I consider expensive but it has to be done to keep the warranty. At around 6,300 miles (in my case) it'll need the valves checked so it will be incredibly expensive!!! The dealer says its around 6 hours of labour alone.
    Current: DRZ 400 SM
    Past: KTM 525 EXC, KTM 690 SMC, DRZ 400 SM

That is expensive. - But isn't the warranty allready broken when you install the new mappings?

And have any of you guys found a service manual for the 2012 690? I can only find up to 2010.
    06 Yamaha DTX 125
    07 KTM 525 EXC factory
    12 KTM 690 SMC R

WOW! Who tha fuk is charging you 2500 for mapping ...
    I got it done for 1000 nok at spinnin wheel

first service is oil change and general control of the bike.
    I have the service maual , where do u live ?

Yeah, I tought so too.

It was X-rider in Levanger, Nord-Tr√łndelag.

I live in Trondheim. Any way you could e-mail it or anything? It would be very appreciated
    06 Yamaha DTX 125
    07 KTM 525 EXC factory
    12 KTM 690 SMC R

Quote Originally Posted by Irn-Bru View Post
    The dealer says its around 6 hours of labour alone.
    6 hours to check the valves?
    They should wait until after work to drop acid.

Jeezus, what crooks! Or maybe I'm in the wrong business, lol.

And just as an FYI, I know it's long past now, but you can ride the 690 with Akras on and the stock map and it won't hurt anything. Keep the baffles in for best performance with the stock map. This won't be optimal but it won't hurt anything either. I would expect the same with the airbox.
    -Rob
    2010 KTM 990 SMT, 2008 KTM 690 SMR
    --
    "The KTM really likes being ridden hard. If you never ride like a dumbass, and have no intention of ever riding like a dumbass, KTM probably doesn't make a bike for you."

Quote Originally Posted by phxrider View Post
    , but you can ride the 690 with Akras on and the stock map and it won't hurt anything. Keep the baffles in for best performance with the stock map. This won't be optimal but it won't hurt anything either.
    this!!

All right I'll have to put the baffle in tomorrow, then I'm going riding. whoop.

Can't wait to get the EFI tools when i come home from the sea again. - I'll just have to look for the original ktm mappings somewhere :-p Just hope the dealer where I bought the bike is helpfull
    06 Yamaha DTX 125
    07 KTM 525 EXC factory
    12 KTM 690 SMC R

Quote Originally Posted by Irn-Bru View Post
    $420????? Does that include a bj from a gorgeous Norwegian model as you wait? What a scam, the cable is the best way to go anyway, I bought one because it was about the price it would cost me to get it done at a dealer, if not cheaper. As it turns out the PO already had the map on, but it's nice to make sure I suppose.
    really dude, what a f ing hose job, 420 bucks...run like hell dude they are thieves....i bought my bike in colombia and the dikwad dealer didn;t have the tool to re map it, a dealer on husaberg dot com offered to do mine for free if i fed exed him my ecu...it takes about 5 mins to remap....

Quote Originally Posted by toretore View Post
    That is expensive. - But isn't the warranty allready broken when you install the new mappings?

And have any of you guys found a service manual for the 2012 690? I can only find up to 2010.
    only the map for the user setting tool voids the warranty, it also will let your bike rev a 1000 rpms higher...