Thread: Michelin Pilot Power 3 tire pressure?

Default Michelin Pilot Power 3 tire pressure?

What pressure are you street guys running in your Pilot Power 3 tires? I am running 40PSI front and rear, wondering if thats too high? What about in cold weather? Thanks.

I ran Mich PP DOTs on my old Track DRZ and ran between 18-23 psi both front and rear depending on track conditions and temps - I cannot imagine anything that needs 40 psi unless you are doing a ton of Hwy miles - I have my Street Tard at 25 psi now in both F and R
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me - Hunter S. Thompson

Ok thanks. When I first got the tires the research i did said most people were running 36-42 PSI, and thats also what it say on the tire. But thats recommendation is for a tubeless tire, I am not sure how running a tube in a tubeless tire affects the tire pressure recommendation?

Man that's high! What kind of bike?

Mid 20's is the norm.

Dr650

Quote Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
    Ok thanks. When I first got the tires the research i did said most people were running 36-42 PSI, and thats also what it say on the tire.
    recommended for bikes that weigh over 50% more than your own bike...

So I should lower it down to 25-30?

I think you should, yes.

Items for Sale

Lower pressures are fine on the track where you are building up some heat in the tire but I find for street riding that low pressures result in squidgy handling. I prefer to run around 30-32 psi on the street.

I run 30 front.and rear

i run regular pilot powers on my husky 610 at 32-35 psi range f and r.. anything below that the rear gets squirly

Quote Originally Posted by ricroc636 View Post
    anything below that the rear gets squirly
    doesn't really make sense, if you think that it's probably because you're not used to running lower pressures. only way a rear would actually get squirly is if there was almost no air left in the tyre.

ballpark figure for sm's is around 25 psi, you can go to 30 if you want your tyres to last a bit longer but I would never go over that on a motard, even for streetuse. for trackuse I run low 20's cold.

24 on track and road. never had a problem.

do you mean pilot road 3?

My Pilot Road Power 4's say 42psi on the sidewall.
    2007 RXV550SM/2007 KTM 690SM
    NO REMORSE / NO REGRET Previous Supermotos: 2008 SM510R

Default tire psi

The psi rating on the tire is the maximum cold tire pressure that should ever be run on that tire- read the fine print- it says "maximum". The bike manufacturer sets the actual tire psi by model- it is usually put on the spec label on the frame for street legal models. Most sport bikes 600 to 1000cc that weigh upwards of 350+ lbs use the 36-42 psi setting. A much lighter supermoto style bike- say 250 to 300lbs will require less psi to keep the tire carcass shape from deforming under load- on the street I have found that 25-35psi works well depending on the riders preference for rear tire "feel" and the ambient temperature, usually temps under 60 deg F require a lower psi to get some heat into the tire when cornering. Experiment and take notes of what feels good to your riding style.

Quote Originally Posted by smoose View Post
    The psi rating on the tire is the maximum cold tire pressure that should ever be run on that tire- read the fine print- it says "maximum". The bike manufacturer sets the actual tire psi by model- it is usually put on the spec label on the frame for street legal models.
    Yep yep yep. same goes for cars. Check the door jam. But on top of all that jazz, I usually run my SM tires around 25psi and go from there.

I have run PP,Distanzia,Dunlop,& Shinko. I have run 24lb pressure in each brand and never had one issue.
    09 Kawasaki KLX 450R
    2006 DRZ 400 SM SOLD
    1998 RM 250 SOLD
    Suspension by:
    www.fastbikeindustries.com

I'd run around 27 on the street and 23 on the track.

Our pp track bikes I run 22f/24r