Thread: Primary gear, timing gear, and loctite

Default Primary gear, timing gear, and loctite

Hello,
    So I have a question for all you mechanics out there....yesterday I was performing some routine maintenance on my berg and I took that time to re-torque the primary and timing gear nuts. I loctited them and torqued them down....popped on the engine cover than went about doing some other things to the bike. I would say a good hour went by before I had the bike all back together at which time I refilled all the fluids. It occurred to me a couple hours later that I probably should have left the fluids empty for 24 hours to let the loctite cure prior to refilling the bike with oil. Will the loctite finish curing while the oil is in there or have I screwed this up and need to start over. I would appreciate any info here.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Husaberg 06 FS650c

Not a mechanic, BUT this depends entirely on the kind of loctite you used.....

Thanks....I used the Red #271. I called the Locite people and they said it would be fine. Apparently this type of loctite requires there to be an absence of air in order for it to cure. They said to give it a couple days to sure fully and its all good.
    Husaberg 06 FS650c

you put red loctite, which is supposed to be ment for permanent fixes, on the primairy nut of the crank?

good luck getting that sucker back off when the time comes. even blue loctite can already give you some problems if that nut needs to be removed, been there, done that... ideally you don't want to put anything on there and just torque it down to proper spec.

red although labeled permanent, is not. It's not hard to break free. green on the other hand, is a whole different story.

green loctite works more like a glue.

red might not be "permanent", but it is ment for fixes you don't intend to touch again. you can break it free again but my experience says it's no picknick, often you have to apply heat just to get it to move. it simply isn't something I'd to use on the crank nuts.

Exactly right...I am sure it won't be a picnic. I called the Loctite people after this thread started because I was getting worried that I may have inadvertently cemented my engine together. They have assured me that while the red stuff is tough, once you apply some heat to the nut to be loosened it should come off relatively easy. As the primary gear and timing gear nuts appear to be made from steel I am pretty sure an application of heat when I take them off should be OK. In the meantime the piece of mind that those two nuts are being held secure is pretty good.
    Husaberg 06 FS650c