Thread: What to wear: Sportsuit or special supermoto suit?

Default What to wear: Sportsuit or special supermoto suit?

Hello gentlemen,

sorry, if this was already discussed, but I did not succeed finding such thread.

Now for the question: What is the general consensus as what to wear on a racetrack? I understand that there are basically 2 options: leather suit for sportbikes and then the special supermoto suit.

The standard sportbike leather suit is typically much less expensive than any SM leather suit ( I have seen differences of up to 50%). Since I am not a pro-rider (i.e. weekend rider), would you recommend buying the standard suit or should I go for the expensive SM suit?

Thank you for your opinions/ advice
    Roman
    Moto Morini Granpasso 2010
    BMW F 650 GS - SOLD

Items for Sale

I wear Moto gear with Knee guards, Pressure suit and Supermoto boots and all has been good for me

Look into MVD gear as they have some good stuff for SuperMoto specific gear You can get it through Motostrano
    Debi (SMGRANNY) #764
    KTM450SMR
    04YZF250
    One bad azz Truck and a killer Stalker Van hehe "free Candy"
    Who says Granny's can't RIP

2-piece sportbike leather-suits from Dainese worked quite well for me so far... along with them I wear Sidi's Crossfire supermoto boots and GPX gloves from Alpinestars. That combination kept skin and bones unharmed for the numerous times that I went down with the Husky.

Best regards...

MacSlow
    Die of exhaustion... not of boredom!

I wear an IXS supermotard 1 piece that I got for £199

Clearance item, only had a couple left and this was in my size, 42 long and with orange piping

Quality suit though, might be worth looking into, see if there's any around.

Edit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IXS-Superm...-/140348905371
    2011 KTM 690 SMC
    2003 KTM 660 SMC - Sold
    2007 Suzuki DR-Z400SM - Sold

I have a one-peice supermoto suit, two-piece leathers road race leathers and oodles of dirt gear. For track riding, I am finding that wearing my leather roadrace pants with MX boots, compression gear with armor and a jersey is the most comfortable, flexible and lightest weight combination that still provides good protection. Your leather suits will protect the best in a crash, but they are heavy and keeping your elbows up can become tiring quick. I am a small person (5'5" 125#) so this setup works best for me for an all-day trackday.

Wear the one in which you feel will protect you the best. I've found with some lower end road-racing suits like my Arlen Ness, the padding from the factory is not sufficient.

I am using one piece leathers from RST with KNOX protectors. I also have a separate KNOX back protector and leather HELD gloves.

I am also not a pro rider and I never thought this kind of gear (which is not SM dedicated) is giving me any trouble when riding. Although I have never tried any SM dedicated clothes, gear I have does the job for me.

Mate i got my 1pc Spidi Xtreme suit of ebay for £170 worn once! The AStars SM suit looks wicked but its too expensive if your just fucking about! i think i am gonna ditch the suit and use my draggin jeans and Astars leather jacket from now on tho too much of an arse ache putting the Gimp suit on everytime + no pockets!!!!! every bloke loves a pocket lmao

Knee pucks I never see anyone drag a knee well racing or am I wrong with that cause I'm looking for race gear but I don't see myself dragging knee on a gokart/sm track
    Xr650r sm tard

Thumbs up

Thank you guys!
    Moto Morini Granpasso 2010
    BMW F 650 GS - SOLD

How well does your gear hold up? I've found some of the stuff I buy is one time use only... Which gets expensive :(

i bought a built suit and it seems to work fine for the 200 dollar price

The Alpine Stars SM suit KTM sells looks really nice. It's their Tech 1R suit that they say is designed for "street or track". But they also make the S1 suit that someone else mentioned that is designed specifically for SM and seems to have some better qualities. Maybe lighter and more flexible and does not have an aerodynamic hump that we do not need at SM speeds or body posture. Plus having a zippered fly seems like a no brainer considering how hard it is to get a leather suit off.

I don't understand why KTM Hardparts doesn't offer the S1 instead.

Feedback?