Thread: Need help getting my Husaberg 2006 650 going

Default Need help getting my Husaberg 2006 650 going

I bought my Husaberg 650 with just 750 mile on it and have only put about 20 miles on it because it either doesn't start or when it does only does so for a day.

Is there anyone in the Los Angeles area that can help me.

I would most appreciate the help as I've been pulling my hair out that I've never gotten this beast sorted out.
    Last edited by bluebug008; 02-07-2012 at 07:05 AM.

If you could give a few more details I'm sure someone can help you. How old is the gas, has the bike sat for a long period of time? Have you checked the spark plug and cleaned the carb? Have you checked the vent tube for the gas tank to make sure it's not clogged or pinched?
    WERA Ex #315
    03 DRZ 400

+1 ^

'06 with 750 miles I would assume gas/carb problems.

Thanks guys for stepping in to help out. It's much appreciated and I've been pulling my hair out over this one.

Just to bring you up to speed...

I bought the bike 2 years ago and it rode it about 30 miles and while
    it wasn't easy to start, it did start.

It had a really bad lag problem when I gave it heavy throttle off of the line.

To fix it, I bought a jetting kit from Taffmeisters.

I had a mechanic install the kit and also put a new battery in it.

The jetting sorted the throttle issue out but... When I got the bike
    back from the mechanic it would start no problem at his shop and then
    within 36 hours the bike would not turn over.

I would hear the starter working it's guts out to fire it up, but before
    long would not turn over at all.

Also had a new plug and fresh gas.

Also tried for 2 hours to kick it over and no luck. I also had two different supermoto guys who are used to kicking bikes over have no luck as well. The also outweighed me by 40 pounds.

Dave_NY, you mentioned the vent tube. Do you mean the one on the gas cap?
    Last edited by bluebug008; 02-08-2012 at 09:06 AM.

How well do you know the mechanic that installed the jet kit? Did he explain why a jet kit was needed? Unless you changed elevation or it was extremely cold/hot out or the previous owner added aftermarket parts (exhaust, air filter, etc.) a jet kit may not have been the cause of the original problems.

Has the carburetor ever been cleaned? Even the tiniest bit of sludge or debris can clog a jet and these engines are very finely tuned.

Have you pulled the spark plug recently to see what it looks like?

Yeah I was talking about the tube coming off the gas cap. If it is pinched or clogged air won't be able to get into the tank which creates a vacuum and will prevent the fuel from leaving the tank. Imagine what happens when you hold your finger over the end of a straw when it's in a glass of water, you can pull the straw out of the glass and the straw will still be full. If your vent tube is clogged it will have the same effect.
    WERA Ex #315
    03 DRZ 400

Dave_NY It wasn't the mechanic that suggested the jet kit. I did a lot of research and then consulted Taffy at Taffmeisters and he suggested the kit should help out with the poor throttle response.

My mechanic did a complete cleaning of the carb.

As far as the plug color it has always been good.

My 650 has the short straight breather hose of a couple inches so not sure if that an be blocked. Also never been off road or in the rain.

Have you used this mechanic before and is he familiar with these types of bikes? Do you know what size jets he used and what the settings are? Sometimes a tech can screw things up, not saying that is the case here at all but it would be good if you could verify what was done if possible.

Even with a short vent tube just check to make sure it's clear. Try blowing into it and see if any air gets through.

Have you tested the spark plug? Remove the plug but keep it plugged in to the wire. Try turning the bike over using the starter button while holding the plug close to a metal bolt or bare part of the frame. You should see a spark arcing from the plug to the frame.

Can your fuel lines be getting pinched? Also check to make sure both fuel petcocks are open.
    WERA Ex #315
    03 DRZ 400

Thanks Dave_NY. I'll have to ask my mechanic more details. He's one of those guys who has been racing and building and repairing all types of bikes for 30 years. From motocross to custom Harleys. However, Im sure he hasn't specifically worked with a Husaberg before.

Question... What about things like the decompression cable, starter or stator or battery. Is it possible I have a weak link somewhere in these parts?

Also I know that he tested the spark and it had a blue color to it.

Once the bike is running a stator or regulator/rectifier won't really make it stall. If it was a stator or r/r you would have to charge the battery every time you rode the bike because it would drain while the bike was running. A simple test would be to put the battery on a charger overnight and see if it starts the bike.

It is pretty easy to check the stator and the r/r if you have a multi-meter. The battery should read around 12 volts with the bike off, with the bike running around 3-4,000 RPMs the battery should read 13 volts or so. You can check the stator with the multi-meter as well but I don't have the specs for the the stator output.

If the decompression valve was open the bike would run like crap or not at all. You can check the play in the decomp cable, it should have 10mm of play before it engages the valve (you can feel when the valve engages when you pull on the lever).
    WERA Ex #315
    03 DRZ 400

I just want to try and make the timeline clear so that it can better clues to what is going on.

1. Ran terrible from low rpm especially when hit the throttle hard. Just bogged down. Mechanic rejetted it and I picked the bike up from him.

2. Started no problem at his shop.

3. Drove the bike for 2 miles to friends house and turned it off for 10 minutes.

4. Tried starting it and all I heard was the starter working its guts out to try and start.

5. After about 6 tries it was dead.

6. Brought bike back to mechanic and picked up a few days later.

7. Bike once again started up right away at his shop. Drove the bike 2 miles and parked it for the night.

8. Started it up the next morning and went for a 5 mile ride. Stopped for coffee for 30 minutes and it started back up.

9. Drove it home another 5 miles and let sit for 3 hours.

10. Tried starting again and refused to turn over.

11. After this I had the S/M riders look at it and checked the following...

-Made sure enough gas in tank.
    - Made sure it was flowing out of the tank.
    - Checked for spark and color.
    -Tried jumpstarting.
    -Tried kick starting for over an hour.

That's where I at I'm at now.

The funny thing is the mechanic is scratching his head as it always left his shop running. The S/M guys are used to building and getting things to work and they were at a loss too.

And I'm pulling my hair out as all I want to do is ride the damm thing!!!

I'm sure like anything once the problem is uncovered it's simple.

I do realize that the 650 berg requires more TLC then say an XR650 but.. From what I've read once the bergs are dialed in they are reliable and start up easily.

Thanks again for any help the you can give!

Jeff

So the bike wouldn't start even when you tried jump starting it? That's odd, did you try jumping it from another bike or a car? I hope the car wasn't running when you jumped it, that could fry your r/r.

Try putting the battery on a charger overnight and see what happens when you try to start it. If the bike starts on a full charge then it may be a stator or r/r problem. I'm not too sure if the CDI box could go bad but I doubt it if you can get the bike to start every now and then.

This is the steps I use to start up the bike and it usually works:

Make sure both fuel petcocks are open, pull out the carb choke (black knob, not red one); pull in the clutch lever; squeeze the decompression lever with your left index finger; hit the starter button; let it spin through two or three cycles; release the decompression lever and hit the starter button again and you should be up and running.

Sorry you are having so much trouble with the bike. To be honest I just picked mine up on Saturday and haven't even had a chance to ride it yet heh.
    WERA Ex #315
    03 DRZ 400

Dave_NY, thanks for all the info.

What did you mean by r/r?

Sorry r/r is regulator/rectifier, it basically converts the power put out from the stator into something the battery and lights can use. If it get's fried the battery won't recharge while the bike is running.
    WERA Ex #315
    03 DRZ 400

Quote Originally Posted by dave_ny View Post
    it basically converts the power put out from the stator into something the battery and lights can use.
    ac>dc
    2007 RXV550SM/2007 KTM 690SM
    NO REMORSE / NO REGRET Previous Supermotos: 2008 SM510R

Quote Originally Posted by exit90a View Post
    ac>dc
    What he said
    WERA Ex #315
    03 DRZ 400

The regulator/rectifier you mentioned seems to my small mechanical skill level to make sense because...

After I picked it up from the mechanic and started riding it should be creating more juice in the battery but instead, the exact opposite was happening.

Maybe I'm off base on this?

If it is the R/R any easy fixes?

The stator generates AC power, the r/r converts it to DC and keeps the voltage in range. It could be either of these causing the problem. Any competent mechanic should be able to figure it out. Maybe you need a new one?
    2007 RXV550SM/2007 KTM 690SM
    NO REMORSE / NO REGRET Previous Supermotos: 2008 SM510R

Adjust your Valves!
    http://www.myspace.com/aurorasnowband

05 Husaberg FS650E
    02 YZ250
    Trackday Counter: 8 / Crash Counter: 2

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm out of town for a month so when I get back to LA I'll start putting all your suggestions to work.