Thread: 1983 XL600R USD Fork Conversion

Default 1983 XL600R USD Fork Conversion

Hello,
    I have read for hours between today and yesterday and here is what I think I know as well as what I think I need to know. Please help. Yes I am an idiot. I am okay with it

I have a 1983 XL600R with worn out leaky seal and springs. I hate repairing stuff without doing an upgrade and have decided I want a set of USD forks.

It seems that a set of forks from a CR125 or CR250 are the best choice for my bike. I don't know for sure but I think the 125 ones will work best as my bike will remain mostly stock (heavy pig) but I am only about 170 lbs. There will be a passenger on occasion but not for trail riding. If a CRF or something is a better choice I am open to options since I have spent nothing on the conversion yet.

I don't care about preserving the speedometer so I want a whole front end with the wheel/brakes/etc. I'll put on a Vapor system when it's time.

I bought this turd for a bike to put to work on and play with on the weekends. I ride the twisties and live in the sticks so it needs to be versitle. It will keep knobby tires until later on if I go full tard... the bike a mean.

I put an email in with EMIG racing as it seems that having him change the stem on the CR triples is the easiest way to fit a front end on a different bike.

For those of you who have personal experience in this conversion....
    What BS did you run into that you did not expect that bit you in the ass?
    Who did you work if you sent it out?

I have seen some decent writeups but nothing had specifics about where to get conversion bearings or things like it or parts numbers.

Please help me out. I will take one for the team and do a very detailed writeup with part number and prices and vendors when done. If I simply missed the writeup that is exactly what I need..... get me a link and I will flog myself on your behalf.
    Last edited by Jake-83XL600R; 01-07-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Hold off on the flogging for now you are correct there is allot of USD conversion info out there but like you said not much specific info, and if there is specific info it doesn't necessarily work with your application.

I'm no genius but I'm a very intelligent idiot, so I will give you some of my experiences with my USD conversion.

I started with forks and triples off a 03 CR125R then used a set of conversion bearings from All Balls Racing, (there conversion bearing finder seems to be broken right now I sent them a email yesterday to see whats up with it)
    Using the All Balls conversion bearings made it a painless job.

But I soon found out that the 125 forks were severely under sprung (even with the 125 springs having the same rate springs as my stock forks) and stiffer springs are unavailable.

I have since switched to 02 CRF450R forks with springs and valved for a 200 lb rider,
    what a big difference the bike handles much better defiantly worth the $.

So in short make sure that heaver springs are available for what ever forks you get, and I suggest going with twin chamber forks (some CR250s came with them)
    I live for this

2001 XR650LSM,Clark tank,Warp 9 wheels,Avon Distanzia's,40mm FCR -MX carb,UNI Filter,Marko Header,White brothers E2 muffler,CRF450R USD forks & triples,BRP SUB Mount,Scott's Damper,MotoMaster racing caliper & Rotor,Brembo 16/18 Radial MC,15-43 gearing.

Now that's a good first reply. Very happy so far with this forum. Thanks for your experience on the matter. I will shop for something similar as the 450 bikes have been said to be well equiped.

Default anyone else?

I am needing to make a decision on this as i am not happy with the bike as is. if the swap is not a bolt on deal I think I am out. All balls is not selling the ones i need any more and i have not found another vendor.

EMIC is pricy for a conversion stem which blows the budget quickly.

Looks like I'm the only one with any advice.

Yes, it sucks that all balls isn't offering the conversion bearings any more.
    Your 83 XL600 uses 26x47x15 bearings on the top and bottom of the stem.
    Check out this site http://www.twfracing.com/PartsPages/...adbearing.html
    they are 30x47x15 conversion bearings, this is the same size I got from all balls to put the CRF forks on my XR650L.
    With 2 of them and a couple thick washers you should be able to put USD forks on your bike.
    I live for this

2001 XR650LSM,Clark tank,Warp 9 wheels,Avon Distanzia's,40mm FCR -MX carb,UNI Filter,Marko Header,White brothers E2 muffler,CRF450R USD forks & triples,BRP SUB Mount,Scott's Damper,MotoMaster racing caliper & Rotor,Brembo 16/18 Radial MC,15-43 gearing.

Items for Sale

Im thinking you may find it alot easier to fit a set of conventionals from a xr600 or 650

The newer forks are fatter and really are good forks. In my opinion better than a lot of USD.
    You have a cool bike there. I wouldnt mind owing one of them.Dont make it something its not.
    If you do a fork swap with conventionals or USD, check your ride height
    I think unless you do something to the rear to bring it up you are going to get a bike that handle worse than a stocker

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    If you do a fork swap with conventionals or USD, check your ride height
    You are correct, I'm going to internally lower my crf forks as they are 1 inch longer than the XR forks.

Jake, if you are considering staying with conventional forks I will give you a good deal on the front end off my 01XR650L it should be a direct bolt on and you can buy a fork brace to stiffen it up
    I live for this

Default sure

abosultely. Same look but new stuff. Sounds like a winner. Not sure what shipping would cost but very interested. hopefuly you have the complete front end still from wheel to tripples. that way I don't have to worry about axles/wheels/brakes/etc.

shoot me a price and if you have time please check on shipping. USPS usually is cheapest for me when sending.

pics? i want to see your bike!

Default pics

I can't seem to get pics to load for some reason but here is a link to the ADV website I put them on in my "Polishing a Turd" thread....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757276

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-83XL600R View Post
    abosultely. Same look but new stuff. Sounds like a winner. Not sure what shipping would cost but very interested. hopefuly you have the complete front end still from wheel to tripples. that way I don't have to worry about axles/wheels/brakes/etc.

shoot me a price and if you have time please check on shipping. USPS usually is cheapest for me when sending.
    Jake, I will get you some pics and a price this weekend.
    I need to check and see what all I have.
    I know I have the triples, forks & axle. My bike did not come with wheels or a front brake system. But I think I have a caliper and master cyl off a different bike that will work.
    I can not give you a shipping quote, I do not know where you live.
    I live for this

Default shipping

cool
    Last edited by Jake-83XL600R; 02-12-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Default shoot

I don't want to step on any toes here,,,,, but 650L forks are about the smallest upgrade you could make. They're pretty bad without modification. (though certainly better than XL forks!)
    XR400 forks are a whole bunch better.
    I have both bikes and I put 400 forks on my 650L.
    Resprung for my weight (240lbs) they are every bit as nice as the CR USD I put on my 85 XR350.
    Can find them CHEAP too as tons of guys have to have USD>
    The twracing bearings are the original source. AllBalls copied the idea from them. They were for putting GSXR front ends on SV650's and just happened to work for our bikes.

Last edited by MLB007; 02-10-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Jake, I'm trying to send you a email w/pics but yahoo is giving me a hard time.
    I will try again later.
    I have your shipping info, you my want to erase it from you post.
    I live for this

Jake, I sent you a email from my roommates account.
    Let me know if you got it?
    I live for this

Default i did

Got email with the pics.