Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Owner CR500

gold rim and red hubs
    07 DRZsm - My new toy
    09 DRZsm - stolen
    "America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed."

Most have gone gold rim, black hub. 1 more for the gold rim, red hub combo!!! Lol.

half and half rims all the way!!!

|09 WR450SM|
    |09 CRF450R|

Well my order has been placed, this is what i decided to go with:

Front-17/3.5 Excel Gold w/RAD Eagle lightweight series Hub Black w/ black nipples
    Rear- 17/4.25 Excel Gold w/RAD Eagle lightweight series Hub Black w/ black nipples

Chain- DID 520 VT2 Gold Narrow X'Ring
    Sprockets- PIMP Sprockets 38 tooth Rear, PBI Countershaft 15 tooth Front

Brakes- Beringer 6 piston Caliper, XRA GOLD
    310mm Rotor
    BRO12 master cylinder
    Clutch pull lever
    Semi-Race Pads
    Race Pads
    SS Line from Beringer

well i need some advice....i am knee deep in the bottom end of this motor and i am trying to decide whether or not I should replace ALL the bearings in the motor...I am replacing ALL the oil seals because that is a no brainer, however the bearings are a different story i think because of the their noted HONDA durability....so far, bearing wise, i have replaced the crank bearings, as i am installing a all new crank assembly in the bottom end.

I only know of one test for this type of bearings, basically feeling the smoothness of the bearing rolling in the channel and making sure there is no side to side, up and down play. Cant inspect visually, etc. Most of the bearings, even the new ones i installed, had their "hiccups" when I would move them around, however as soon as I added a drop of tranny fluid to them they are ALL smooth as butter.

Should i just drop the 100+ dollars and take the time to install them or should I roll with what I have changed and call it a day? Bike is a 1998 and NEVER been tore down before me.

Default Bearings

You spend 3 1/2 k on wheels and brakes and you want to skimp on a $100 set of bearings. If only for peace of mine get new bearings. Don't use oem gaskets, the after market ones are ok and alot cheaper. If you say it hasnt done much hours dont buy a new crank, put a new rod kit in and get it balanced. Save the money from the crank and gaskets to get a port job. CR500 motors are reliable you wont be splitting crank cases for a while. Check the kick starter bearings, and shaft they break the housing when there worn.

Well since you put it that way!

Great scott! Did I really spend that much! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Will I need any other kind of bearing puller to remove some of the odd bearings that do not have a way that I can push out? If so please provide a pic of the type I will need. Thanks a million.

Default bearings

Don't mean to be abupt or arrogant, take the cases to some body with a press who knows what there doing. Its far safer, sometimes a little heat makes it easier to get them out. The seal you want to replace is the crank seal, crank pressure is very important on a 2t.
    Check fork shifters to see if there bent, there the only thing that can go wrong with the trans and it is caused by shifting to hard.

Default porting

Send it to get ported by someone who knows what there doing. There are two types of porting your looking for, Mo Better porting is where they clean up the ports which gives a little more rev and a smooth power delivery.
    The other is where they port for a longer exhaust duration, this takes the hit out when it comes on the pipe and gives it a linear power delivery. To really take advantage of the porting you need to raise the exhaust ports and skim the head. I would get the crank balanced as it revs hard. Find someone who knows what there doing.
    Good luck with the build, I hope you enjoy it once its finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldie 30 View Post
    Don't mean to be abupt or arrogant, take the cases to some body with a press who knows what there doing. Its far safer, sometimes a little heat makes it easier to get them out. The seal you want to replace is the crank seal, crank pressure is very important on a 2t.
    Check fork shifters to see if there bent, there the only thing that can go wrong with the trans and it is caused by shifting to hard.
    too late all done, got every bearing out without a hitch...i have a press, and the only thing i could not remove was the 2 little roller bearings that are located here:

However, I think these are fine, the wear seems to minimal and they do not have stress on them ALL the time.

How do you see if the rods are bent, just by the naked eye, straight edge, etc?

Thanks for all your input....better then talking to myself..

i just bought a brand new crank assembly, is there anyway i can check myself to see if the crank is trued?.....going to look online later, as i have to run now.

I have been extremely bizy with the bike.....you all will hopefully be pleased with the end result. It is all put back together, just waiting for the tires that will be on the wheels, they will be installed tomorrow. So look for the completed project pics tom evening/night. Sorry guys for not updated with step by step pictures.

Default Update

For those that give a damn

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Full Rebuild w/ tons of extras. Any questions or extra pics, just ask!

Default cr500

Nice bike mate,photos are a bit dark. like the gold wheels and levers, how does it ride, you no the starting techinic,

Quote Originally Posted by Oldie 30 View Post
    Nice bike mate,photos are a bit dark. like the gold wheels and levers, how does it ride, you no the starting techinic,
    Your right, they are crappy cell phone pics, took on the fly as I just got the thing finished today. If you want I will take some good shots tom with my good camera. So far so good, today was the first start, kicked over on the 4th or 5th kick, drove it a short ride and returned. Only issue I will work out tom is the idle, other than that, I am hoping for the best.

There are a few different methods of starting out there, which one do you prefer?

Very jealous. That thing is a goddamn beast!
    2005 Husaberg FS650E

Thanks!!! I appreciate your admiration!

jizzzzzzz... Red frame looks awesome man. More pics!
    Last edited by JaredT; 04-16-2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Learnt to spellcheck

Wow! That is a good looking bike!
    09 SMR510
    04 CR250 Woods
    03 CRF450 Sumo

thanks everyone, more pics and vids to come SOON....track day...April 28th

P.S......going to be a learning experience...wing..ding..ding..ding..de..ding

NoVa, outside the city of Liar's and Theives

Looks Awesome man! I've got a 91 CR500 tard I'm in the process of rebuilding. I'm in Alexandria va, we might have to get up for a ringdingding ride when I get this thing back in 1 piece.
    I refuse to TipToe through life only to arrive safely at death... I think i'd rather be backing it in, way over when I come screaming through the pearlys
    91 CR500 Built PLATED
    Its like a 3rd world country dictator>>>>
    it doesn't want to kill you but it will if that's whats necessary