Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My CR85 -- Yeah!

Default My CR85 -- Yeah!

Well how shall I start this? Umm I knew I wanted a 2-stroke mini to ride around with my brother on his SSR140 and thanks to some friends on here I ended up with a 2003 CR85 I picked up for a cool $400

She was in bad shape to say the least, but I was excited to take on this project first time for me. As soon as I got the bike home, put it on the stand and began taking it apart. So soon that I did not take a before picture :( , but I digress. I wanted to strip the bike down to paint the frame either red or black, and put everything back tighthen all the bolts replace all fluids, basically bring her back to a respectable state. Thus it began..

Where I was when I first thought to take a picture(s)

Big parts off, ready to be cleaned or thrown away. I got rid of all the plastics, I'm thinking of going either black or white plastics.

In a mess there is only a thrown. This is where I thought, what did I get myself into. Lol

Cleanish parts.

Something about noise emission, oh government!

I went red!

New goodies! Purchased, new bearing, seals, bars/grips, sprockets (stock 14? up front and 47 in the rear), new gold chain , new top end.

Got bored one night and decided to piece er' back together. Worked from about midnight to 5:30am. I later realized the shock was backwards. Doh! The two mistakes I made was the shock and I put the subframe on before installing the airbox. Everything else was not too bad.

And as she stands now.

Clearly I am not done, infact I've only started. Next up is the conversion ! I want to get plastics before looking into all the SM goodies, although my family/friends like the naked look. o.O and I'm looking for some used SM wheels 12" or 17" I'm indifferent so long as the price is right.

Now I haven't got her running right, I'm hoping its something rather small and not a tear down all over again. It takes several kicks to get going and I have to give her some gas but then she will idle well and the motor itself sounds good no odd noises. Put her in 1st -- stall. Unless I really get the RPMs going and feather out the clutch it will stall. Once she gets going she runs like a champ! Riding a 2t is like learning to ride ALL over again, seriously! And she spits oil out where the exhaust connects to the motor, but I think this is the gasket or spring as I reused the ones that were there. All in all I'm diggin it! Thanks for all the help dudes!

Diego
    2007 Aprilia SXV 550 - First full size SM! Whoot!
    2008 GSXR 600 - Yes, Yes.
    2008 Ninja 250r - 1st bike. - Sold
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

jetting could be off whats the plug look like?i'd go with black plastics that thing would be badass.
    2003 crf150m
    4STROKIN IT

Yeah I'll probably go that route, I can't even find white plastics. Lol Plus with the black tank and all.

I'll have to check my plug and get back.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

whats your oil gas ratio?
    SM USA #322.
    2013 Rider Rep / New Racer Mentor
    www.supermotousa.com

Lagunitas Brewery. Beer speaks, people mumble. / Bell Helmets.

2-strokes are pretty finicky with jetting and carb adjustments. A half-turn on the idle mixture screw either way can make a difference in how it runs. You have to find some baseline info on where to start and then go from there.
    2004 KTM 65 Endurance Racer "Project 65/85"
    2004 KTM 105 Supermoto

www.tdc2strokeperformance.com
    www.fastbikeindustries.com

Quote Originally Posted by scottiedawg66 View Post
    whats your oil gas ratio?
    32:1 ,eyeball though. Its weird because once I can get it rolling it runs well, it even idles well. Just when I put it into first and try to get it going it'll stall.

Yeah Toadmeister, this was my only fear with a two-stroke. But when I get time I'll get to work. I have the Service Manual as a baseline. It was like this when I picked her up, but I figured the carb was all dirty from sitting.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

Quote Originally Posted by Toadmeister00 View Post
    2-strokes are pretty finicky with jetting and carb adjustments. A half-turn on the idle mixture screw either way can make a difference in how it runs. You have to find some baseline info on where to start and then go from there.
    Is it clutch drag? You shouldn't get much drag from the clutch. What oil is in it? And try taking almost all the slack out of your clutch cable and see if more pull helps it disengage.

If it still drags, then you may have a scored clutch basket... where the plates eat grooves into the fingers which then hold the plates from separating.

You can often file them out and/or smooth the notches out (carefully, not all the way, just the absolute minimum amount to get the clutch to disengage) the first time or two... but eventually you'll be buying a clutch basket. If that's the problem that is.

I'd run MTL in the tranny... helps the clutch last longer, and it helps the basket live longer.

I just pulled all this out of the dark corners of my memory from about 15 years ago... when I was maintaining a CR250's and KX250's for MX. But a 2X is a 2X ;-)

sounds right to me NYC, you memory has served you well.

Nice bike. you have put alot of time and effort into it so far so dont undo all your good work. look at the plug and see what it going on. it does sound like it could be the clutch if its only doing it in 1st.

Yeah guys I've been slacking a little. I need to make myself a schedule with task on it to complete by certain dates.

As far as the clutch stuff, I don't know what oil it has in it. I was supposed to crank it up and let it warm up to change the oil. I was just going to use some 10w-40 MC oil leftover from the big bike. But I'll look into the Motul stuff. Do you need a specialty tool to remove the clutch basket? I saw some Boysen baskets for like $210 on MCSS, not bad right?

Grnman, I still havent pulled the plug to see what it looks like.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

If it does end up needing a basket, go here:

http://www.peracing.com/products/clutbask.html

Can't beat the PE units. They run about $120.

You will need to grind out the rivets on the stock basket to get the gear off. The new basket will come with the screws to reassemble. Use red loctite on the screws.
    2004 KTM 105 Supermoto

Thanks Toadmeister. I'm going to change the oil in it today and adjust the clutch out my nyc said and go from there. Oh and pull the damn plug!
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

Quote Originally Posted by Macco568 View Post
    Thanks Toadmeister. I'm going to change the oil in it today and adjust the clutch out my nyc said and go from there. Oh and pull the damn plug!
    you should lay it on its side, pull the clutch cover and clutch springs and inspect the basket while you're at it. It takes 15 minutes, and then you'll know what you're working with.

Alright, I'll do that. Just got home from work, got my book. Doesn't look like I need any special tools. I'll post pitchas when iz finish baws.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

Alright bros, I can say I may have officially F things up. I cannot get the clutchcover off. These stubborn ass dowel pins (one of them anyways) is just holding and will not let go. So I got nowhere today, I'm just going to walk away from it and hope for better luck tomorrow.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

dang. so you have the bolts out, the water pump and impellar out, and clearance to pull off the cover and it wont budge? I sometimes use a SOFT (rubber) mallet to tap on cases halves or 1 piece clutch covers (like on a cr85) to get them loose if they dont come apart easily.
    SM USA #322.
    www.supermotousa.com

Quote Originally Posted by scottiedawg66 View Post
    dang. so you have the bolts out, the water pump and impellar out, and clearance to pull off the cover and it wont budge? I sometimes use a SOFT (rubber) mallet to tap on cases halves or 1 piece clutch covers (like on a cr85) to get them loose if they dont come apart easily.
    Yeah, I got all the bolts off. But the water pump, and impellar are underneath the cover which I can't get off. I tried hitting it with the mallet like I did when trying to remove the cylinder but It just is not budging, its one of them. The other are up I can lift most of the cover off just the one on top is stuck. And I'm ruining the paint big time. Lol
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

If you're just trying to peek at the clutch basket you don't need to go through all the trouble of removing the whole clutch housing. If you take off the cover itself you should be able to see the basket enough to know if it's grooved.
    2004 KTM 105 Supermoto

Yeah its that clutch cover I can't get off. pissin me off!
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

Well fellas, I'm an idiot and do not know how to count. I missed a bolt, could have sworn I counted 10 bolts in my hand. Thanks toadmeister, after reading your message I said "Eff it, I'll take off the other bolts." which I thought were to hold the water pump. So I dont know exactly what I am looking at here, everything appeard to look good to me. The untrained eye.

Pictures:

Yeah, I royally F'd up some of the paint, and that gasket around the cover and maybe the cover itself. But no worries mates!

Check out pictures of the old piston I pulled out. Looking at the outside of this piston anyone think the cylinder walls could be scorched, leading to low compression? -- The idea was tossed around on a sportbike forum I visit.

Thank you guys again.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

The amount of damage on the piston would tell me that the cylinder is scored. But, you won't know until you pull it apart and verify. Also, it looks like you damaged the case, lower right corner, above the paint damage on the frame. I have a hard time believing that the cover will seal properly against the case. At least get a flat file and smooth that area before you put it back together.

ouch! that piston is smoked! oh no, looks like its time to call up eric gorr and get a 100cc big bore kit.
    SM USA #322.
    www.supermotousa.com

ive seen worst. i would just hone it unless the scores are really bad. it was still running just low compression hone and new piston will make it ten times better. basket looks killer. 400 bucks great score.
    2005 RM250 2T sm setup coming
    2001 KTM 200
    SOLD...05drz black-FCR, E_Cams, K and N, Yosh RS2, Tuned by Trackoholics-Oceanside, Ca...

do not use a normal hone if thats your plan. use a flap hone that wont catch the ports. I have never honed a nikasil plated cylinder but im just a weekend warrior not a pro.
    SM USA #322.
    www.supermotousa.com

:| I'm not even a weekend warrior. I'm more of a neighborhood nusaince a bigbore kit did run through my mind but they cost around $400 to $600! One thing that sucks about getting a bike at such a cheap price is the fact that big purchases hurt more. Like buying a pair of $1K wheels! Thats 150% more than the entire bike, Lol.

Pscook, I know I royally F'd up the case. I'm going to file it and see if it will seal up. If it does (Fingers crossed) I'll post a video of what exactly is happening.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

before you put your top end back together take a a close look at your cylinder walls. all you should see is cross hatching and a consistent coating. if you notice any vertical lines or places where the coating is gone you might as well just throw down the $375 for a big bore kit because you will be spending that much on a replated cylinder from millenium anyways.

and i know you were going to already, but replace that piston and ring.

for the case I would try to get away with using JB weld.
    SM USA #322.
    www.supermotousa.com

Scottie, where can I get a bigbore for that price? I saw lukesracing has a 102cc for $600 plus the shipping price of sending my old cylinder back. Im going to hope the case seals, if it does then ill get the bigbore.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

First thing I would do regarding the case is to draw a file across the damage, bridged across the case. it will knock off the high spots and expose the low spots. You can repair the case edge with JB weld, it just takes a bit of imagination and patience. JB runs like water, so you could build a dam and simply float the JB and file it, or you could find some of that quick repair paste and form a bead and press it on. once you build it up just carefully draw the file across and knock it down, then carefully reseal the gasket surfaces. It's a bit tricky, but you can do it. or roll some repair paste over the damage and bolt the cover on it, using the paste as form-a-gasket. Redneck, but possible.

One last option, which may be the best- Scour for some cases on ebay and rebuild that sucker, or even swap in a known runner. You might have to drop another $400, but then you are set with a spare set of internals. Here's an option, might be an opportunity in the making.

Oye vey. I have to try! I ordered the gasket which should be here Monday and im going to try and seal it up if not just throw the money into a running engine. :/
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

Oye vey. I have to try! I ordered the gasket which should be here Monday and im going to try and seal it up if not just throw the money into a running engine. :/
    If you want some help, send me a PM and I'll send you my number to walk you through it. It's not hard to do, but I can help save you the steep learning curve if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by pscook View Post
    If you want some help, send me a PM and I'll send you my number to walk you through it. It's not hard to do, but I can help save you the steep learning curve if you want.
    No way man, I'm not gonna burden you with my mess. You've been a big help with this and the Mag wheels before hand. I have an idea of what to do I just have to take my time and do it right.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

Scottie, where can I get a bigbore for that price? I saw lukesracing has a 102cc for $600 plus the shipping price of sending my old cylinder back. Im going to hope the case seals, if it does then ill get the bigbore.
    please tell him scotty sent you!

http://www.eric-gorr.com/superminis.html
    SM USA #322.
    www.supermotousa.com

Cool, I've heard some iffy stuff about the customer service at FM but the work is top notch. It seems I'll have to wait though,

Forward Motion will be closed for the month of September so please don't send packages from
    August 15, 2011 until September 25, 2011. Packages sent between those dates will be recovered safely but no work will be performed.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

I have never needed any "customer service" so I cannot comment. I got what I paid for and it worked.
    SM USA #322.
    www.supermotousa.com

She lives! So after a while of being discouraged by the fact I F'd up the case being so stupid, I said I need to at least try and get this to work. Worst case scenario, I'll get a new one right. So I took a file and lightly filed it down til it was smooth on all rough parts, and had to JB weld a small crack. But it holds oil!

So hear this, I put it on and I get ready to crank it up and I noticed the kickstarter sticks at the bottom. Boy genius forgot to load the spring for the kickstarter, take it apart again and load up the spring. Then putting the cover back on, I overtorqued a bolt and broke it in the case. Yep, I thought about buying a new engine that night but there weren't any on the bay in my price range. So I had to call in reinforcements, ... my father is a disel mechanic and has broken a bolt or two himself in his time. So he showed me how to drill and tap it! Got it back on tonight, changed the oil and started her up. I messed with the idle screw (which was backed wayyy out) and it starts a lot easier now.

Really bad news is it's smoking like no other, I'm thinking the oil is mixing with the antifreeze because a little oil is coming out the overflow in the radiator. :/ I noticed what looked like a seal going to the transmission a little lodged out but since it was already like that I didn't mess with it. Probably going to have to take the cover off AGAIN. and see . Oh and when I put it into first, automatically shuts off but I think that a little adjustment of the clutch will fix this because it is backed all the way out. I hoope, I want to save the money to get a big bore but all these headaches are piling up. And stoping me from buy other goodies for it, its still naked!

I'm going to try and get a video so you guys can see what I'm working with, the smoke is really a show to witness! Well alright sorry for the long read.

Diego
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

If your getting anti-freeze i the oil the clutch plates might be rusted together. put the bike and gear and try to push it with the clutch pulled. If it does not push like its in neutral the clutch is froze. I had a friends KX100 do this and we just bump started it and rode it for a while and the clutch was free after a few a short time. Rode it around for a about a hour after that and then changed the tranny oil it was very rust colored fron the clutch plates. It works now but might need a clutch soon.

You clutch basket looks good from the photos.

Arrow

Yeah it rolled and on a stand I put it in first and it will roll; but something bad has happen that I dont think I wanna fix with all this smoke coming out the exhaust. I think Ill get a known runner off the bay and move on from there. It will slow up the sumo process but I just wanna ride lol. I got to do a top end job on this motor and got a good look at how the clutch works and how to save a case I Fd up! Lol that was fun but I need to move forward.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

Dudes! Slapped on some 12" wheels I snagged off here from a super dude! I'm diggin it. Also got my plastics in from the motorcycle superstore. I thought I ordered a black Acerbis kit but apparently they don't even have those at the MCS. So I'm stuck with red. :/

Got a short little video so you guys can see what I am working with. I paid $400 shipped for the wheels and snagged a engine off the bay for $300 so I am staying within my "don't pay more for an accesory than you did for the bike." motto

Excuse my pitiful kickstarts, I find it hard to kick her over with the tiny little kick started and on the stand.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPD5lFLqjE4

Thanks.

Diego
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

Dudes! Slapped on some 12" wheels I snagged off here from a super dude! I'm diggin it. Also got my plastics in from the motorcycle superstore. I thought I ordered a black Acerbis kit but apparently they don't even have those at the MCS. So I'm stuck with red. :/

Got a short little video so you guys can see what I am working with. I paid $400 shipped for the wheels and snagged a engine off the bay for $300 so I am staying within my "don't pay more for an accesory than you did for the bike." motto

Excuse my pitiful kickstarts, I find it hard to kick her over with the tiny little kick started and on the stand.
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPD5lFLqjE4

Thanks.

Diego
    I'm sure the mandals (man sandals) dont help.

but really, it confuses me also. but i am not a 2t guy at heart.

HaHa, yeah. I remember once I was trying to kick over my old RMZ with some water shoes. The kickstarter went right through those suckers.

Anyway, I won an CRF450 front brake today on ebay for $44 so thats on its way, and my new engine will be here Tuesday. Where can I get the bigger rotor/adapter?

Oh and did anyone have fitment issues with their forguards and the 12" wheels, it wants to rub tires?
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

Here's a link for the caliper bracket. The oversize rotor is available on the same page in the drop down boxes.

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id/2094

Just Dremel or trim the fork guards to clear the tires.
    Last edited by Toadmeister00; 10-01-2011 at 05:24 PM.
    2004 KTM 105 Supermoto

Sweet! Thanks TM! Im so excited for all the goodies to come in! Rip around town. Tuesday I get the engine and front brake set up from the 450.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

Damn, looks like I jumped the gun and bought an 2003 front brake set-up anyone know if that bracket is backwards compatible? I know the 2003 brake works on the 2004-2006 450.

Anyhow she is engine-less and ready to get a new engine dropped in; hopefully tomorrow after class! Gents.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

The 2003 caliper is identical. I don't thing the caliper has changed since it's introduction, at least not the mounts.

Fugg it, im gonna roll the dice on it. Of amything Ill buy another caliper and hook it up.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

Amigos: Check it.

Looking for some graphics at the moment, and the AR bracket. I hit the fork guards with plasti dip and I like the look, but I will have to see how they hold up. Thanks for all the help too dudes.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

Amigos: Check it.

Looking for some graphics at the moment, and the AR bracket. I hit the fork guards with plasti dip and I like the look, but I will have to see how they hold up. Thanks for all the help too dudes.
    That thing came together, it looks good. Gotta ditch that front fender, though! All of the plastics companies (UFO, Acerbis, etc.) make smaller supermoto fenders that will look much better with the 12" wheels.
    2004 KTM 105 Supermoto

or you may as well try the 10cent first option of attacking it with angle grinder and shaping it off. then if that is crap, buy one. tip draw your cut line with a marker or tap line. dont go free hand.

Thanks guys. Im def going to try and take a hack at it because that sucker is huge! Im going gk try and get it to like the acerbis evo fender, if I fail I'll prob buy that one. I didnt know if it would still be big since they are meant for 17" wheels.
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

Default A Narrative.

Hombres!

So I hadn't messed with the CR85 in months after buying that other engine and it giving me problems. But a couple weeks ago I went and did a top end again (a lot easier the second time around) and noticed that when I dropped in the OEM ring the gap was already at the max end of the service range. So I'm thinking this jug is going to need to be repleated soon. :(

Anyhow, after replacing the top end the bike came on in just two kicks but revved to the moon! Uncontrollably! The idle screw had no effect on the revs whatsoever; after that I switched her off and neglected her for a month.

Until recently when I was switching my Chonda's throttle over to 1/4 turn and after the switch it displayed the same symptoms. This time I knew it could only be the throttle, so I removed it, retraced my steps and fixed the issue. That got my thoughts going, maybe it can be the same with the CR and lone behold it was! Got the engine to kick on with two swift kicks adjusted the idle and she purred.

Today I don't have to go to work untill 12PM, and so I decided this is the time most adults are at work; I will give the bike a test run. Got the bike warmed and went to take off and as soon as I hit 1st it shut off. I pull the clutch in gave it a kick and notice the bike wanted to start moving with the clutch pulled in, so I look down and see the clutch adjustment is all the way at the bottom end, so I adjust it back into the middle range and got her going. She has enough power to move but maybe 1/8 in to the rpm range it doesn't put down power and just revs. At this point I'm rolling along and adjusting the clutch lever play and with some tweaking she came alive! Lofts the front coming out of first and second even with the smaller rear sprocket. I had forgotten why I had bought this bike! It flat out flies!

I must say it is extremely difficult to ride a 2t for me, how do you stay in a good power range while mid turn? I feel if I stay within its powerband while cornering with a small slip of the throttle the rear will drive from under me. Exciting! The 15 mins I spent trolling the neighborhood were a blast, until some 30-something year old low life came and ruined it because I was taking away from his sleep. It was 11:00am!

Blah! Is there a way of quieting down the bike or is that just the nature of the beast with a 2-stroke? And I noticed something, that I thought was odd but coming from a four stroke may not be. In the upper gears 5th and 6th I noticed it would pull to a point and then just rev but still continue to build speed just without that grunt from the lower gears [Hard to describe]. Is that cause of the gearing change I made in the rear or could it be the ring gap issue I mentioned before.

At any rate, I am so ready to get some track time! Now I just need to get ShortyR6 on his CR and line up our schedules!

Sorry for the long read,

Diego
    2007 RMZ450 - Sold
    2006 SSR 140 - Mini Tard

Yeah guys I've been slacking a little. I need to make myself a schedule with task on it to complete by certain dates.

As far as the clutch stuff, I don't know what oil it has in it. I was supposed to crank it up and let it warm up to change the oil. I was just going to use some 10w-40 MC oil leftover from the big bike. But I'll look into the Motul stuff. Do you need a specialty tool to remove the clutch basket? I saw some Boysen baskets for like $210 on MCSS, not bad right?

Grnman, I still havent pulled the plug to see what it looks like.
    dont over complicate things with this bike.

carb- clean real well. soak the brass in anmonia, and make sure it stays clean.

jetting- here in FL use stock jetting. it works the best.

oil/fuel: 32:1 dont change it. dont tune your bike trying to run different mixtures. use the recommended mixture, and then jet the carb (but again stock settings are dead on). any motor builder i talked to says motul 800 2t. i run amsoil dominator in our CR and it flat out rips and is clean enough on the inside to eat off of.

trans oil: use rotella from walmart. 30w is good enough. dont buy expensive oil as you are tossing it out after a day of riding.

to change oil, you can warm it up on the stand while in gear, but honestly you will change it so much that it really does not matter.

people try to get crazy with these bikes and fail. keep it simple and it will be your best friend.

If you need a hand with it, let me know. i am local.
    Last edited by Shortyr6; 02-21-2012 at 11:57 AM.