Thread: Garage Door Opener Mod (Yeah, I said it)

Default Garage Door Opener Mod (Yeah, I said it)

How's it hanging Motards?*

How many of you have a garage door opener attached somewhere to your bike?

I do. It looked like this:

I didnt like the way it looked and it wasnt very weather proof either.

I decided to add a no $hit garage door opener Mod instead. Experience below.

COST: $17.00 (not including garage door opener)

TOOLS: See picture below:

(Not pictured: saran wrap, electrical tape, small ratchet with Phillips screwdriver head, one heavy duty zip tie)

I already had a universal garage door opener that I got from Amazon. This is exactly the one I bought: (Click Here).

Next thing I needed was a simple waterproof button that I could mount to my handle bar. A kill switch! There were many options out there ranging from $10 to $60. I bought a $13 one from ebay. This is exactly the one I bought: (Click Here).

STEP ONE

Take apart your garage door opener and locate the internal push button for activating the garage door.

STEP TWO

Turn the circuit board to your garage door opener around and locate circuit break (it's on the opposite ends of the prongs that connect the push button to the circuit board.

STEP THREE

Cut and strip the ends of the wires pre-connected to the kill switch. Figure out where you're going to solder and test the circuit BEFORE bonding anything.

STEP FOUR

Solder the killswitch wires to the circuit board.

STEP FIVE

You'll realize as soon as you try putting the casing back together that it just wont fit.
    Melt a hole for the wires to go through using the soldering iron then clean it up with a dremel. After that, close everything up and get your saran wrap and electrical tape out.

STEP SIX

"Waterproof" your garage door opener. I say "waterproof" with quotations because when you are done wrapping it up in Saran wrap and electrical tape, it wont be water PROOF but it will definitely be VERY water RESISTANT. As long as you're not scuba-diving with your moto, you'll be alright .

STEP SEVEN

Mount your garage door opener Mod to your bike using a heavy duty zip tie. Use the ratchet to tighten the screw on the switch. This is how I did it:

DONE!

TEST VIDEO

awesome dude!!!!
    01 Suzuki DR650 Sportsman - RM Fork swap - Jet Kit - airbox mod - DG R-series slip on

Nice!
    01 Suzuki TL1000R undergoing mods!
    07 Aprilia SXV 4.5

Nice! Perfect for those fast getaways when the fuzz is after you!
    2006 WR450F - Soon to be tarded
    2006 GSXR 1000- Sold
    2007 KX 450 MX- Sold
    2006 DRZ SM - Sold

That's pretty bad ass! I gotta admit though I was expecting this when I clicked on the thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk
    06 DRZ400S
    08 Yamaha YZ250 two stroke that I need to sell...

Slick mod and the kind of thing I would do. lol. I have mine in my jacket pocket so i only have to have one of them for all bikes. I did a radar detector install on my 97 gsxr1100 that was slick. Used miniplugs and an accordian wire to plug in to my bike. Had an LED and small speaker in my helmet to alert me. It was wired to the existing speaker in the radar detector. Worked great!
    Middletown, CT - New Bike for 2012 is 2009 KX450 #531 ESMRA Sold:2010 SMR510.
    11 Subaru WRX, Lightning Red
    08 Corvette, Jetstream Blue, 413rwhp/405rwtq.
    67 Triumph 500 (in process)
    99 Montesa Cota 315r

That mod is awesome. And I want one now!

Great idea man! And very well executed!!

May help you to make a clean getaway if your end up running from the coppers too!
    Fast is smooth. Smooth is Fast.