Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why do sportbike guys want sumo's?

Default why do sportbike guys want sumo's?

After I took a spill on the motocross track that pretty much ended motocross for me, I decided to get a supermoto as it looked fun and seemed similar to MX. I've never owned a sportbike, and never had a desire to own for that matter, but I notice a lot of sportbike guys ask me about my sumo. I was at the gas station and some guy on a sportbike was telling me how he wanted to get one. Then when I left the gas station the gate guard at my girlfriends neighborhood was asking me about my sumo as well. He told me one of his friends got one and hasn't ridden his sportbike in months. Essentially 2 guys that ride sportbikes within 5 minutes showed a lot of interest in supermoto.

I really don't know what to say other than it's fun, as I've never owned a sportbike, and have only ridden one a few times. So what's the deal? Do sportbikes just get boring after awhile?

(I've never owned a sportbike or wanted one mainly because most of the guys I see riding them are complete douche bags that really have no clue how to ride it, I know this is not the case with all, but it seems like a lot of them are this way)

I converted after riding a SuMo on the same roads I used to ride on my Duc. On the Duc, those roads scared the hell out of me, on the WR250X, it was a total riot. To me, it's the weight and handling difference that makes Supermotos so much more fun than sportbikes. Plus, sportbikes have way too much power for the street for the average rider (me included, I was either going to die or go to jail eventually without a doubt). Plus, supermotos are fun to ride fast and slow, sportbikes aren't very fun to ride slow for the most part.

That's my two pennies...
    2009 KTM 690 SMC//2010 YZ450F MX/SM//2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200S

These days sportbikes are built for the race track, and in my opinion make horrible street bikes.

I own a more tame, rideable sportbike, a 1993 CBR 600 F2. But I have ridden new bikes and would certainly prefer a supermoto over the high-strung wrist numbing sportbikes for the street.

You can have a lot more fun around town on a supermoto, and I think that's probably the attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Sand.Man View Post
    You can have a lot more fun around town on a supermoto, and I think that's probably the attraction.
    That's a fact! Now speed bumps are fun instead of a pain in the ass.
    2009 KTM 690 SMC//2010 YZ450F MX/SM//2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200S

I think alot of it has to do with the way we got into motorcycles. Many of us grew up on dirt bikes, enduro's, UJM's,...and it was the discovery of pure freedom and fun as hell.

Then, as we were programmed to do, eventually 'graduated' to the ultimate in outright motorcycle balls. Sportbikes. I think most of us still had some fun, but realized it was hard as hell to hit the target with such a big gun. Not to mention the fact that most of us also had very real near-death experiences on them, and it was like being a fish in the land of fish hawks in regards to the cops. The fun was fading.

I think these guys just want to recapture the fun again. Worked for me!
    The Suspension Answer-man:
    FastBikeIndustries.com

You all laugh because I'm different.
    I laugh because you're all the same.

Items for Sale

I still ride my R6, but only at the track. Yeah they are made for high speed and the track is the only place you can safely enjoy it for what its meant for. I use my WR250X for the street, the canyons, to ride dirt trails and I also regularly go to the track on it. I converted my R6 back to street use for the off season, but Ive barely touched it. Even when I take it out for a short ride, it feels awkward and making tight turns on it sucks. I totally prefer the WR over the R6 for anything except the big fast tracks.
    2005 CRF450R
    2007 Husqvarna SMR510 - SOLD
    2008 WR250X - SOLD
    WWW.CYCLESECTOR.COM

Lay your sumo on it's side = $0
    Drop your sportbike = $1000 or more

Plus riding down steps on a sportbike is kinda sucky.

the more I ride my SM the less I ride my sportbike. It's just not as much fun. I dont know why, but i think it has to do with the saying "it's more fun to ride a light slow bike fast than to try and ride a heavy fast bike fast."

I have been riding sport bikes since they first hit the market back in 86,bought the first gen Gsx-R750. Now own a 07 Gsx-R1000 which is my last sport bike and it is has some work done to her. The sumo was bought as a 50th birthday gift to myself and wanting to open up my choices in roads that can be ridden on,plus wanting to have more fun to satisfy the hell raiser in me still. Should be a hoot to learn how to ride my Husky at pace on my roads and the new ones I find as well.
    09 Husqvarna SMR510

GDC

I agree with about everything you guys are saying. I love my Duc and it loves to go fast, but you gotta have the right roads and right conditions. Traded my Daytona 1200 straight up for a Husky 450 cuz I got bored with the Triumph after riding a real sportbike. I wonder, does a liter sportbike make you a better sumo rider, or vice-versa?

Dude at worked asked me if I'm still riding bicycles much. Replied by saying I spent a lot of time motorcycling this year. He commented about kicking back and cruising, like I'm on a shadow or something. I just laughed and shook my head! Frickin clueless.

Know once I get myself use to the sumo I will carry more corner speed compared to my sport bike on certain roads,can use more of what the sumo has over a liter bike. Will be almost like a toy so to speak given ones experience and skill set. At least this is what my thinking is on it,have hopped on a street triple which I could ride the heck out of coming from my 1000. Also feel the sumo is going to help with riding my sport bike also,could say it is going to work both ways.
    Last edited by HELLBOUND; 01-09-2011 at 09:34 PM.
    09 Husqvarna SMR510

GDC

Items for Sale

I bought a gsxr because I wanted to be cool. Then I realized how slow I was on a big bike. So I am back to the small ones. I want another SV.

I never in my life had this much fun on a bike like my sumo. Confidence on these things is overwhelming. There is no hesitation. I just dive in the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by StraydogEOD View Post
    That's a fact! Now speed bumps are fun instead of a pain in the ass.

Speed bumps on a Supermoto = go faster

It seems most of your are coming from the inline sport bikes. I have a twin (RC51) and it's good to go at any speed. The torque is also right there when you want it. It won't do 200mph, but were am I'm going to do that on the street? I just go and look for twisties just like I'm going to do with my SM.

I agree though. Sportbikes a can get really lame in an urban environment. But, I do have a lot of fun riding my RC51 and you get the front end up on that just about as easy as any SM. I also love the sound on the twin when your fire up the RC.

The reason I got into SM was mostly the fact that's it's kinda a blend between to worlds. You get to go in the dirt and have fun on the pavement and also you get to add new obstacles to your arsenal of fun. A speed bump is now a little mini jump, a dirt road is no longer a problem it's now more roads to enjoy.

It's much also much much much cheaper. I couldn't believe how much more affordable it is to get parts. Sumos are also quite sexy IMO. But, in the end I really don't care because I just love bikes (with or without motors). I think it's the whole "the grass is always greener on the other site" mentality. Right, now I'm starting to see some really sweet custom cafe racers made from old cb's and such. I'd love to have one of them, but my garage can only hold some many bikes at the moment.

Of course the girlfriend seems to want a cafe .
    04 crf450r (currently being parted out)

Quote Originally Posted by Sand.Man View Post
    These days sportbikes are built for the race track, and in my opinion make horrible street bikes.

This pretty much sums up the whole discussion. I wanted a bike to have fun on, not one that had me worried about everything but riding.

I love my 1K, and track riding. But for the street, and a carefree days ride, its a sumo every time.
    08 KTM 690 SMC
    09 Kawasaki ZX-6R - track slut

1. F-ing fun!
    2. Cost. Highsided my SM=$60 for new bars and a couple kicks to the subframe, highsided R6= clip-on, tank, rearsets, bodywork...don't wanna do the math. Insurance on a sportbike= at least $3000, SM= $650.
    3. Respect. I hate the local sporbike scene, more suction cup pink mohawks and stunt cages(on a bike that the owner will never be able to wheelie) than you can shake a stick at. But when you show up in full leathers and jump a speedbump as they gawk you will have a few that get it. They come over and talk and want to know more...CONVERTS!
    This vid was back on 05' or 06'?? Local on/off ramps that you could make continuous loops(not condoning it but it's where I learned to get my knee down way back 15yrs or so). This was shot by a group of sportbike guys that talked mad sh/t but couldn't back it. So my boy and I put on a demo.

seems like all of you have a sportbike background. I thought there would be more people from MX/Trails only, and no sportbike background like me.

I've taken my 2 stroke MX'ers blasting down the street a few times just to test adjustments, and I always had the "oh shit, I hope a cop doesn't see me" feeling. I still have the seem feeling about my SM. For some reason I still feel like I shouldn't be on the road, legally.

I admire the true sportbike guys (I met Ben Thompson through a mutual friend, and a few other great riders who were really cool) but as I said before it just seems like a lot of the typical guys I see on sportbikes are wanna be thugs are d-bags. SM has a true enthusiast feel. Plus, I don't know how well I'd do having a bike capable of doing 200+...seems like you'd have to test it out at least a few times.

It was $ for me. A track day on my CBR was at least $200(if I kept it rubber side down) and a weekend event. Now I can hit up the kart track for $10 after work and be home before dark.

Plus backing it in is pretty much the sweetest thing that's ever existed.
    -2009 Husqvarna sm510r-

I live in San Antonio and don't know of any tracks. I never see other SM's either. I think I've seen one SM on the street in the 8 years I lived here.

I don't think I'm ready for a track anyway, I suck, still getting used to this whole pavement thing...and engine braking.

Eagles Canyon Raceway Slidell, TX
    GrandSport Speedway Hitchcock, TX
    Motorsport Ranch Cresson, TX
    MSR Houston, Mercedes-Benz Suger Land Road Course Angleton, TX
    Texas World Speedway College Station, TX

Here's a few tracks in the TX. And it doesn't matter if you are "ready" any track time is always a good thing! I've seen guys rockin v-stroms and even a cruiser at trackdays. You couldn't be any slower then them! Just do it!

Thanks for the track info. What are you required to wear? Do you have to wear the full suit get up? Could I use my motocross boots?

Its the new fad!
    seriously though, for me - been roadracing since the early 90's - Sportbikes represented the pinacle of 2-wheeled fun!
    In 07, i bought a 600 gixxer (after a 12yr hiatus) and loved it - took the thing on trips, and found a new local race track here to play with it. ! thing i hated with it was traffic jams - pain in the ass (heat, awkwardness at 2-3mph, stiff clutch, etc...).
    A friend was selling his DRZ, so i bought it - and then again the 'love' hit me - traffic jams were bearable, and racing it was a hoot!
    Its awesome to grief guys with R1's, 10R ninjas, etc...when on the track!

For highway trips i have an SV1000 - but for city riding ill stick with the SM!

Ex roadracer, sportie, trail, MX, etc, rider here. I live here next door to Deals Gap. Sporties do indeed do awesome on certain roads here. Then the other 80% of the mtn roads here in the Smokeys, the sumo is the better choice. I like and need both.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" -Johnny Cash

"Its a long way to the top..if you wanna rock & roll" -AC/DC

Quote Originally Posted by used2Bfast View Post
    Ex roadracer, sportie, trail, MX, etc, rider here. I live here next door to Deals Gap. Sporties do indeed do awesome on certain roads here. Then the other 80% of the mtn roads here in the Smokeys, the sumo is the better choice. I like and need both.
    ever been snowed out? lol
    09 Husqvarna SMR510

GDC

Quote Originally Posted by HELLBOUND View Post
    ever been snowed out? lol
    Yup. Right now.

Quote Originally Posted by benjdow View Post
    So what's the deal?
    Curbs.

I grew up on dirt bikes, and moved to a CBR929 for a couple years. While the straight out power and acceleration of the CBR were a blast, the riding position and the bumpy Massholechusetts roads were torture.
    I can say without a doubt, that I have more fun on my DRZ than I EVER had on my CBR. Wheelies, stairs, cutting across lawns, jumping curbs, bumpy roads-bring it on!
    Plus, like Jonesti said, if you drop your sm, it might cost you a couple bucks, if you drop your sportbike, it might cost cost you a couple HUNDRED!

I know we are talking sumo's but I picked up my BMW R1150GS and its a heavy bike but has a similar riding style. My point is I have been riding Ducati's for over 10 years now and I started using this bike to lead group rides on twisty's with the sport bike guys and they can not hang with me in the corners, now in the straights she tops out about 120 so not much for top end. But where it counts (in the corners) this bike handles amazing, I have even got 12 inches of air on the asphalt (both tires), try that on a rocket. These style of bikes rock on the road.
    Some people are like slinkies, completely useless but they still put a smile on your face when you push them down a flight of stairs
    NWGP #228, #43
    KTM '12 & '13 SMR 450, XC 450,XC 85,RC 8
    BMW R1150GS,KLX 110, 110L

I have taken a similar path to get here that several others have. I never rode dirt growing up, started off on a R6 way back in the day. moved down to a 400cc Honda NC35 from Japan that I loved. Fate happened and I ended up with a new liter bike. Messed up and started taking it to the track and suddenly road riding was absolutely no fun at all. Did nothing but track days on the big bike and bought a dedicated trackbike.

Still enjoy the hell out of it, but wanted something else that was fun below 150 mph and ended up buying a supermoto after talking to several people that went the same route.

Still intend on riding both a ton, but with the supermoto I can hit the track whenever I feel like it for a lot less money. Wont ever give up the big trackbike though, just two different ways to get a buzz now.

So I guess it's safe to say nearly all SM riders have some sort of motorcycle background...as suggested above.

Quote Originally Posted by Psquared View Post
    .. and the bumpy Massholechusetts roads were torture.
    He said Masshole..
    The Suspension Answer-man:
    FastBikeIndustries.com

You all laugh because I'm different.
    I laugh because you're all the same.

Any serious rider who lives the life,meaning that riding is just not a hobby but a life style...eats,shits and breaths riding can see a reason and a purpose for having a supermoto.It just makes sense to own one,life is short so ride hard and raise hell
    09 Husqvarna SMR510

GDC

Supermoto = BMX bike with motor.

I started in the dirt as a kid, first road bike was a YZF600 because I was positive I would be bored with anything less then 600cc on the road. Then I got the Husky. On the first group ride with my sport bike buddies, I was screwing around riding over curbs, popping little wheelies playing with little stoppies, and jumping anything I could line up. On the first twisty section I got so far ahead I thought someone bit it, so I turned around a raced back down the road. I passed them around the 1/2 way point, and they were moving at a good clip. Had to turn around and catch back up. I was having a great time. That sealed the deal for them. Wasn't long before they sold of their sport bikes and went sumo.
    '08 Husky sm450r (13k miles and counting)
    '03 Honda xr400r (street titled)

I rode dirt bikes for most of my childhood. Bought an 03' R6 for my first bike at 16, couldn't stand it. I hated sitting on the tank hunched over. Avoiding every little pothole in the road cause it seemed like all the weight is over the front tire and you would bounce like hell.

Bought a xr650r as a dual sport and really fell in love with supermoto( promptly sold the r6), nothing like sticking your leg out front as far as possible and diving into a corner sideways... under total control. I still felt like the XR was a bit heavy and sluggish even after spending a ton of cash on engine upgrades(high comp piston, stage 2 cam... all the goodies) Sold it and picked up a cr500af. I'm 100% content with the 500, it does everything I ask it to and more, I couldn't imagine buying another crotch rocket.
    01' CR500AF street tard

A lot of sportbike guys realise after a while that the top end is not where the fun is at, but the corners are. And what corners better than a sumo?

Quote Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
    A lot of sportbike guys realise after a while that the top end is not where the fun is at, but the corners are. And what corners better than a sumo?
    It not about top end,sorry.
    Last edited by HELLBOUND; 01-11-2011 at 04:21 AM.
    09 Husqvarna SMR510

GDC

It not about top end,sorry.
    : Isn't that what he said?

pickle.of.doom
    "I like the dog. If he can't eat it, or f_ck it, he pisses on it. I can get behind that."
    "People are just incredibly non observant, they operate on pre-conceived notions and stereotyped information and cannot deductively adapt under operating conditions. Some of these people control and determine our lives. That in itself is unnerving for me."

I am talking from a sport bike riders point of view,which I still am and it has nothing to do with top end.
    09 Husqvarna SMR510

GDC

I'm the same way, but still a dreamer... Grew up on dirt bikes, always loved the raw power and light weight of them. When I was old enough to ride on the street, there was no such thing as supermoto, at least not factory ones. The cool kids got sport bikes. I wasn't cool, so I got an SV650... And I still have it and still love it, but I am longing for a sumo. My SV has 37k on the clock, and is 9 years old now, and I still love riding it. But I find myself longing for the nimble light weight toss around feeling I get when I ride dirtbikes, and the ability to hit potholes and speed bumps and curbs and all that.
    2008 Yamaha WR250X
    2006 CRF250R - For getting dirty
    Sold: 2002 SV650S, 2009 Qlink XF200

I am talking from a sport bike riders point of view,which I still am and it has nothing to do with top end.
    Got it
    "I like the dog. If he can't eat it, or f_ck it, he pisses on it. I can get behind that."
    "People are just incredibly non observant, they operate on pre-conceived notions and stereotyped information and cannot deductively adapt under operating conditions. Some of these people control and determine our lives. That in itself is unnerving for me."

Items for Sale

I truly love my motard, but I have to say, I've been having some serious sport bike / sport tourer longing for a while now. Is that normal, or am I the only one?
    www.FastBikeIndustries.com
    "Just stay in the fast lane, and keep moving, you cannot predict your final day, so go hard for the good times while you can." Kenny Stabler
    '08 DRZ 400sm - FCR, E cams, SSW / MRD, Tuned by Wheeler
    '02 XR 50 - 1/4 scale stunt bike

Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    I truly love my motard, but I have to say, I've been having some serious sport bike / sport tourer longing for a while now. Is that normal, or am I the only one?
    I had the same longing, so I got a windshield, padded bike shorts, better seat, and heated grips for my dizzer and take touring trips on it People think I am nuts for riding a dirt bike 1200 miles in a weekend but whatever its a supermoto

I came from a trail riding/MX background, sold the dirtbike when I went to college cause I wasnt riding and at the time couldnt afford a street bike. This past year I had some cash and started searching for bikes. The sport bike scene was just too expensive and not as fun on urban riding which is the majority of what I do. So I got a SM and havnt looked back
    07 DRZ 400sm-Daily rider/touring bike
    01 GasGas 280 TXT

I got a Duc 999 and love the bike. Just got my Husky 450 and it's a different kind of fun. I say different because you seek the tighter backroads. There's a sweet (but blind) left hand cambered sweeper on my rode that my Duc eats up @90 and it's a total rush. Hit it wot on the Husky and it wasn't as fun. They shine in their own element is the best way to describe it.

HPI, you're not alone. I want a distance capable bike too, but don't have the time or money to do any touring. If I did, a boring DL650 would be all I needed.
    Last edited by SwitchThrottle; 01-11-2011 at 05:23 PM.
    '08 Husky sm450r (13k miles and counting)
    '03 Honda xr400r (street titled)

Quote Originally Posted by areck View Post
    It was $ for me. A track day on my CBR was at least $200(if I kept it rubber side down) and a weekend event. Now I can hit up the kart track for $10 after work and be home before dark.

Plus backing it in is pretty much the sweetest thing that's ever existed.
    +10000000

Could not have said it better myself.
    2009 HUSKY SM510R Northwoods GP #28
    2005 HONDA CRF/BBR 50 SuperMoto Sold
    2007 SUZUKI GSX-R 600 -Sold/ 2005 BUELL XB9SX -Sold
    1998 HONDA CR125R -Sold/1996 HONDA CR125R -Sold
    1994 HONDA CR80R -Sold/1987 SUZUKI DS 80 - FIRST BIKE

That's exactly why I won't get rid of my motard or my SV1000S. The SV makes a pretty damn good sport tourer and not a horrible sportbike either. Of course, I have helibars, a touring screen, a gel seat, and low pegs from an 03 SV650N on my SV1000S. So it really is setup pretty well for gobbling miles. Besides, I've said it before and I'll say it again....every sportbike built for the real world should have a V-twin.

Items for Sale

I've done some LONG days on the tard, close to 400 miles being the longest. The Renazco seat, tail bag / rack combo, and other little things make it more than capable of that. But, not in the same way a bike that's not buzzing it's ass off at 70mph is capable. Yeti, an SV or RC51 is something I've always liked the idea of. A Honda VFR 800 would be right up there also. A Duc would be nice, but I'm not sure about the maintenance costs involved with owning one.
    www.FastBikeIndustries.com
    "Just stay in the fast lane, and keep moving, you cannot predict your final day, so go hard for the good times while you can." Kenny Stabler
    '08 DRZ 400sm - FCR, E cams, SSW / MRD, Tuned by Wheeler
    '02 XR 50 - 1/4 scale stunt bike

A Honda VFR 800 would be right up there also. .
    Look up the Honda Crossrunner. It's a VFR based touring motard that is comming out. I may have to have one if they are not priced out of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by phorine View Post
    Lay your sumo on it's side = $0
    Drop your sportbike = $1000 or more

Plus riding down steps on a sportbike is kinda sucky.
    this plus, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow

Quote Originally Posted by efman View Post
    this plus, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow
    But at certain times, its even better to ride a fast bike fast.