Thread: Rebuild a rear shock?

Default Rebuild a rear shock?

I have a 2002 CR 250R project that I just got running. Now that it's running, I have noticed that the forks and rear shock are leaking. I ordered the seals for the forks last night. I noticed that All Balls makes a "Rear shock seal head kit". Anybody on here have any experience rebuilding a shock, or is it best left to a pro due to it being gas pressurized?
    2007 CRF150R winter project
    2011 KTM 250XC (Woods Killer/Tree Molester )
    2001 XR 50 (Wicked cool),
    2007 CR85R mini-sumo (sold), 2008 KTM 250 SX-F (Both Dirty and Tarded' Sold), 2008 Husky 510 SMR (Sold ), 2002 CR 250R Basketcase (Sold), 2007 Suzuki DRZ 400sm (Sold)

You could replace the parts that are worn yourself and have a shop only recharge the nitrogen. The nitrogen charge should be really inexpensive.
    KTM 450 SMR

I rebuild forks and shocks all the time www.fastbikeindustries.com
    My suggestion is always to try new stuff and working on your bike is fun... If you feel comfy working on your suspension and you have the right tools - Go ahead!

If you do not have the experience, the correct tools, and equipment... then send it to a professional. Remember if you do not repair it correctly you can really mess it up - and maybe hurt your self!

Oh ya: do not you ALL BALLS seal heads... they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCCOY View Post
    You could replace the parts that are worn yourself and have a shop only recharge the nitrogen. The nitrogen charge should be really inexpensive.
    You need Nitrogen (you can use air as well to bleed it) to bleed it out... AS well as do the final charge.
    Vaccuum filling a bladder shock is the best way to bleed all the air bubbles out.

Quote Originally Posted by dbehrend416 View Post
    I rebuild forks and shocks all the time www.fastbikeindustries.com
    My suggestion is always to try new stuff and working on your bike is fun... If you feel comfy working on your suspension and you have the right tools - Go ahead!

If you do not have the experience, the correct tools, and equipment... then send it to a professional. Remember if you do not repair it correctly you can really mess it up - and maybe hurt your self!

Oh ya: do not you ALL BALLS seal heads... they suck.
    I talked to you before about sending my DRZ stuff to you. Then I sold the Dizzer and will probably be sending you the suspension for the Husky. This bike was purchased as a budget build, and I would love to send it to you, but money is the killer with this one. I will rebuild the forks, but I found a local guy that works at a dirt shop and does suspension stuff on the side. I'm gonna give the shock to him.
    2007 CRF150R winter project
    2011 KTM 250XC (Woods Killer/Tree Molester )
    2001 XR 50 (Wicked cool),
    2007 CR85R mini-sumo (sold), 2008 KTM 250 SX-F (Both Dirty and Tarded' Sold), 2008 Husky 510 SMR (Sold ), 2002 CR 250R Basketcase (Sold), 2007 Suzuki DRZ 400sm (Sold)

Like others have said you can do it your self....but its also very easy to ruin a shock shaft by grinding the peened end off wrong. Does the shock appear to have been revalved before? If so the end will have already been done.

You will need:

Factory service manual
    New Seal head - $60-$75
    1 bottle of Golden Spectro 125/150 shock fluid (KYB weight)
    Nitrogen charge - $20 locally

Tools:
    Grinder
    Vice
    basic wrenches
    Will need to make some your self.
    www.MotoHose.com
    Don't bring a gun to a snowball fight!