Thread: How to convert dirt bike to supermoto

Default How to convert dirt bike to supermoto

So I'm guessing you guys get this question all the time and hate answering it but how do you convert a dirt bike to a super moto bike? I tried using the search feature but I don't know what correct words to use. I've never owned a dirtbike but I just sold my Suzuki GS500F. I'm looking to purchase a DRZ 400 or WR450.

I know I would need:
    Wheels
    Tires
    front brakes

I need it to be road legal so:
    brake light
    turn signals

But what else? Also, can the average guy perform a conversion? I don't have a lot of mechanical skills but I can change my own oil, take my wheels off, the simple stuff.

Is it cheaper to do a conversion or just my a purpose built SM or one already converted?

Thanks.
    Last edited by numnutz; 11-05-2010 at 09:32 AM.

look here numnutz, if u gotta ask, buy the drz its already there, wr takes buying wheels or machining spacers n cush drives... funny that you just sold the perfect donor wheels haha

Quote Originally Posted by StuntbikeJustin View Post
    look here numnutz, if u gotta ask, buy the drz its already there, wr takes buying wheels or machining spacers n cush drives... funny that you just sold the perfect donor wheels haha
    I understand. And I agree with you.

Would it be better for me to look for a converted WR since I will be doing some highway driving?

He's what I did.

a. Pick Bike, make sure you can get a plate or one that has a plate.

b. See motostrano.com to fill in the wheels, rotors, tires etc, I recommend Warp 9 wheels btw-

c. See sicassracing.com for fill of electrical, signals, lighting, etc. awsome company they put factory connectors on everthing, even I could not screw it up!

d. Put together. Ask questions here when you need to.

e. Get a set of parking lot cones!
    "Imagination is more important that intelligence." A. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by numnutz View Post
    I understand. And I agree with you.

Would it be better for me to look for a converted WR since I will be doing some highway driving?
    get a drz thats already street legal, or find someone u know with a machine shop...

get a drz thats already street legal, or find someone u know with a machine shop...
    Don't know anyone with a machine shop... why would I need a machine shop?

you wouldn't.

For the Yamahas, many different models and year ranges share the same axle size so the supermoto wheels for the WR450 can come from other yamahas and they will bolt right up.

You are better off financially buying an already converted bike. This is because when you purchase all the wheels and brake components to convert the bike, when you go to sell it you won't get out of it what you put into it... so buy one already converted and let someone else loose money on converting it.
    KTM 450 SMR

you would if you went with mag wheels on the cheap... guess i should have explained more... here i got an idea. 4500 bux u can buy my yz450f with both sets of wheels.

2008 everythings mint!

you would if you went with mag wheels on the cheap... guess i should have explained more... here i got an idea. 4500 bux u can buy my yz450f with both sets of wheels.

2008 everythings mint!

No thanks. Those wheels don't really look like they belong on that bike. Those off a GS500?

nope, and they dont

This freaking old but for a moment i thought you wr being rude calling him numnuts