Thread: clutches for stunting?

Default clutches for stunting?

i'm rather new to stunting but not dirtbiking and i've been wondering what kinda clutch setup you guys are using on some of these supermoto stunt bikes? the one that really gets me is when you come to an almost complete stop while still up there put a foot on something and just take off again all smooth as silk. are you using heavy flywheel weights, like 13oz'ers? or rekluse anti-stall clutches? hydraulic clutches? or are you guys just super skilled with the left trigger finger?

I have an '03 crf450r and i've been thinking of turning it into a supermoto, besides the basics: wheels, oversize brakes, axle sliders, what do you guys recommend for stunting/streetmoto?

i currently am running 7oz flywheel weight, 13/50 gearing, highway knobbies, street legal setup(no blinkers, dont need em in NH),renthal twinwall bars w/moose handguards, shorty levers, steel shifter(put an aluminum one through the crankcase cover once, so i said eff that), fmf pipe, applied triple clamp, gripper seat, and msr clutch perch.

I want: rekluse z-start clutch, warp 9 17"s, fmf powerbomb, sliders, 320mm rotor, custom subframe w/12 bar and stunt pegs, led lights, 13oz. flywheel weight, wide ratio tranny gears. what gearing should i run w/ the 17's to still be street worthy(i gotta be able to hit 55 in comfort)

thanks everyone

I have the stock clutch and flyweel on my honda, but the 13/60 gearing makes the bike pop up from a dead stop no problem. My bike tops out at 70, tacked to the moon. you should probly run the gearing you have. the z start clutch doesn't work good for no handers and coaters becuase it disengages under a load. I recomend

DNA wheels 4.25x17 rear
    Braking 320 with relocator
    15oz flywheel( or keep rockin the 7oz and try a 55T rear)
    50 stunt axle slider
    50 stunt subframe
    50 stunt bar ends
    stock clutch

The flywheel weight helps alot for the slow technical circles and spins, specialy with a little taller gearing. Hit me up if you wanna save a few bucks, I can get everything you need, and have some used stuff also.
    Last edited by Ryan Moore; 10-02-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Items for Sale

I'm no stunt guy, but try the MSR Raptor EZ clutch lever setup. I personally prefer the shorty version. Reduces pull substantially, for true one finger clutching.
    www.FastBikeIndustries.com
    "Just stay in the fast lane, and keep moving, you cannot predict your final day, so go hard for the good times while you can." Kenny Stabler
    '08 DRZ 400sm - FCR, E cams, SSW / MRD, Tuned by Wheeler
    '02 XR 50 - 1/4 scale stunt bike

Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    I'm no stunt guy, but try the MSR Raptor EZ clutch lever setup. I personally prefer the shorty version. Reduces pull substantially, for true one finger clutching.
    Good call there, I run one on all of my stunt bikes for the 1 finger action.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Moore View Post
    Good call there, I run one on all of my stunt bikes for the 1 finger action.
    MSR is good but these are better and stronger!
    http://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by jack cooke View Post
    MSR is good but these are better and stronger!
    http://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/index.html
    I agree with this 100%. The MSR is a great improvement over stock, but the RSC clutch blows it out of the water. Yah, its expensive, but for stunting, you're constantly using the clutch.

And yes, guys like Ryan are very skilled with their left trigger and middle finger. There's no trickery or special equipment...just lots of practice.
    The streets are dead cuz I fkn killed it.
    2007 & 2009 CRF50F(sold)...2006 CRF450X supermoto - sold... 2005 KLX110 (sold)... 2006 RM250 supermoto (sold) ... 2001 GSXR1000 - blew the motor...2003 GSXR600 in repair for 4 years... 2004 CBR600RR full stunt...KLX110L - my new pride and joy.

Items for Sale

the righteous ones are sweet but the pull isn't as easy or as long as the msr. I have them both and have gone back to my MSR. after 2 years the bearing went out in my MSR but that,s it. The Righteous ones are built very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Moore View Post
    I have the stock clutch and flyweel on my honda, but the 13/60 gearing makes the bike pop up from a dead stop no problem. My bike tops out at 70, tacked to the moon. you should probly run the gearing you have. the z start clutch doesn't work good for no handers and coaters becuase it disengages under a load. I recomend

DNA wheels 4.25x17 rear
    Braking 320 with relocator
    15oz flywheel( or keep rockin the 7oz and try a 55T rear)
    50 stunt axle slider
    50 stunt subframe
    50 stunt bar ends
    stock clutch

The flywheel weight helps alot for the slow technical circles and spins, specialy with a little taller gearing. Hit me up if you wanna save a few bucks, I can get everything you need, and have some used stuff also.

I am definitely interested in checking out some of that used stuff you got, I'm planning on getting the big flywheel and maybe those sliders. I would love a subframe if i had the cake$$$$

right now my crf's all in pieces and I'm gonna start polishing the aluminum frame and swingarm